Thread: Boating Inside Passage in November

Default Boating Inside Passage in November

Any info. on traveling through the inside passage during November , weather and etc. Will be in 34' to 40' trawler and starting in Seattle to Wrangell

Best advice that time of year is to 'button down your hatches', you'll probably be in for a ride.
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 08-16-2009 at 19:48. Reason: spelling

Have you done the trip before, or has someone on your boat? I did the trip this May and it was a piece of cake, but the weather was pretty good, and my boat was pretty fast (26kt cruise, 38kt max). My concern would be the weather, and how fast you can get across the exposed parts before the weather changes. I would leave lots of time to wait out bad weather. We went from La Conner to Juneau and took two weeks. This was at least double of what we needed in my boat at this time of the year. The other thing that I missed in my prep was to stay offshore at Cape Caution. I was in pretty close on a rough crossing and it was pretty bad there. I later spoke with some fishermen that said there is a shelf there and you need to be offshore a ways.

Jim
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I have done the trip several times. That time of year plan on running into bad weather and have lots of groceries on board. a good place to hold up is naniamo, cambell river, Port Hardy, Price Rupert. if the winds are comming for the north your in for it. The Straits of Georgia can be ugly. Also Johnstone strait its narrow and wind funnels there's only a couple of places to hide Port Neville is 55 miles from Port Hardy and has a nice public dock and anchorage. If you need anymore advice be glad to assist.

You say a 34' to 40' trawler. Sounds like you'll be traveling on a boat that's unfamiliar to you. If so, that's another issue.

Given the extreme weather you're likely to encounter at that time of year, and the remoteness of many of the areas you'll pass through, it's very important that your boat is in top mechanical condition and you're thoroughly familiar with its systems.

Also, FWIW, there's an outfit in Bellingham called Northwest Explorations that charters Grand Banks trawlers for trips up thru the inside passage every year. They may have some experience they'd be willing to share with you. But my understanding is that they only run their charters from mid-May through early September--because of the extreme weather at other times of the year.

Default Running to Wrangell

If you are just running to Wrangell you will probably be okay in that size boat as you will mostly be in the inside passage. It might get a little snotty after you leave Prince Rupert and maybe the short run past Egg Island. It's not the ideal time to run it, do you have to wait that late in the year?