Thread: help me settle this

Default help me settle this

a buddy of mine was at wits end when i told him that he should not use 00 or 000 buck in a modified choke 12 ga without removing the choke. he then said he did not have a modified choke and that his barrell was a stock mossberg 500 a 12 ga 28 incher. in that case, i replied, a modified barrell with a permanent choke should not be used and to either pursue another barrel that was compatable with his gun or to get another shotgun that coldmeet his needs. his response was what seemed to be more confusion over what i had said.

i just want to make certain that i am correct since i have never fired 00 or 000 buck through a tapered barrell (modified choke) and only used a smooth bore non modifeied for that or a rifled barrell for anything like a slug. i thinki am giving him theright advice but i use separate guns for separate reasons. thats the only reason i ask. that and to get a independant opinion so he can give me that sixer that we bet.

Default Buckshot

Quote Originally Posted by JeepStew View Post
    a buddy of mine was at wits end when i told him that he should not use 00 or 000 buck in a modified choke 12 ga without removing the choke. he then said he did not have a modified choke and that his barrell was a stock mossberg 500 a 12 ga 28 incher. in that case, i replied, a modified barrell with a permanent choke should not be used and to either pursue another barrel that was compatable with his gun or to get another shotgun that coldmeet his needs. his response was what seemed to be more confusion over what i had said.

i just want to make certain that i am correct since i have never fired 00 or 000 buck through a tapered barrell (modified choke) and only used a smooth bore non modifeied for that or a rifled barrell for anything like a slug. i thinki am giving him theright advice but i use separate guns for separate reasons. thats the only reason i ask. that and to get a independant opinion so he can give me that sixer that we bet.
    Jeepstew, living in a shotgun only area of Michigan, we have fired all types of buckshot and the older type slugs through our bird barrels for years. A friend has a Browning auto 5 with a full choke and it shoots slugs very accurately. I have used buckshot with no apparent damage. Now with the full rifled barrels most guys around here use the hi-tech slugs and buckshot isn't used very much. Sorry, I know you wanted to hear that your buddy should not use his 28" modified but I believe he will be fine. Now there might be a pattern issue with a choked barrel, but he will have to try that himself. Good luck on that six pack.
    Last edited by markopolo50; 08-16-2009 at 17:45. Reason: added 'area of Michigan'

Quote "we have fired all types of buckshot and the older type slugs through our bird barrels for years. A friend has a Browning auto 5 with a full choke and it shoots slugs very accurately. I have used buckshot with no apparent damage. " end Quote

really? none? i am in awe.

i have always been told that would be a bad idea which is why i have diffent shotguns and barrels for differant apllications. i have been using shotguns for 2 and half decades and never heard that. so basically i may be in the wrong and he should be fine firing 2 3/4 00 buck out his fully modified bird barrel with no expansion issues on the barrel itself but maybe a little unusual shot pattern right?

He may in fact not even have to worry about pattern issues, I have a full choke BBL that prints awesome patterns with 00 buck. And he has absolutely nothing to worry about as far as damage to his bbl. Sorry pal but Brown Jug is that way.

Quote "we have fired all types of buckshot and the older type slugs through our bird barrels for years. A friend has a Browning auto 5 with a full choke and it shoots slugs very accurately. I have used buckshot with no apparent damage. " end Quote

really? none? i am in awe.

i have always been told that would be a bad idea which is why i have diffent shotguns and barrels for differant apllications. i have been using shotguns for 2 and half decades and never heard that. so basically i may be in the wrong and he should be fine firing 2 3/4 00 buck out his fully modified bird barrel with no expansion issues on the barrel itself but maybe a little unusual shot pattern right?
    In all likelihood you will find that a modified or full choke will provide a more dense pattern. Of course shotgun barrels and cartridges are as individualistic as people, but it should improve dramatically over cylinder bore. I personally use a full choke and #1 buck when I feel buckshot is best, but I've had excellent success with 00 in the same gun and have killed several whitetails with that shotgun and 00 buckshot. The barrel and choke perform as well now as they ever have. You have to remember you have relatively soft lead shot traveling down a steel barrel so the damage that occurs is inflicted upon the shot not the barrel. Too much damage to the shot generally causes flyers in the pattern, but does not harm the barrel.

Default Shotgun barrel damage...

I've used both 00 and slugs through my full choked guns and noted no damage. They don't shoot too terribly, either. Since then, I've pretty much gone to cylinder bore for buck and Foster type slugs, and sabot loads in my rifled tubes, but if I needed to, wouldn't hesitate for a moment to use them in my older guns.
    Now, STEEL shot is a whole 'nuther story. The early steel shot loads that came out after it was mandated for waterfowl hunting could and did damage barrels. In tubes with modified or more open fixed chokes, and NEW steel loads, I've not noted any damage. The first loads out, and some reloads nowadays, saw damage when the steel shot would scrape the bore through the wad, and sometimes jug the barrel because steel won't compress like lead will. New wad and buffering materials have just about eliminated it, but I still hesitate to put it through my old and prized Ithaca pump guns......

well thank you all. looks like i owe my buddy pete a sixer. good information. i never had to aska question like this before. i have always been taught since i was a kid that each bullet and gun has its purpose and you should only fire the exact matching balsitics. maybe i have been missing out on something for about the past 20+ years.

thanks again. if you all want a beer out of that sixer just stop over. warning though, pete drinks sixers of mickeys hand grenades.....YUCK

Default Sixer

well thank you all. looks like i owe my buddy pete a sixer. good information. i never had to aska question like this before. i have always been taught since i was a kid that each bullet and gun has its purpose and you should only fire the exact matching balsitics. maybe i have been missing out on something for about the past 20+ years.

thanks again. if you all want a beer out of that sixer just stop over. warning though, pete drinks sixers of mickeys hand grenades.....YUCK
    Well at least get a six that you drink and take your buddy his favorite. The older I get, the more I realize there is alot I don't know. Have fun. By the way, what is your buddy shooting with the buckshot?

any hunting shell you can buy will shoot through a full choke gun. Of course if you fire steel shot through a older full choke gun it may open it up some and it states that on the box or used to. Many of todays full choked gun are choked at what we called Improved modified (30 points) in the past to solve the problem of folks not reading the instructions.In the late 1800's shotgun were marked for shot&ball,when choke boreing started the newer gun were marked not for ball and fathers have been telling their kids that every sence then even though it was all worked out a hundred years ago.
    In America we give Kimbell credit for the first choke boreing and England gives it to Pate but now many think they both may have copied someone else.

Your buddy shouldn't listen to you. Ask me why.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Your buddy shouldn't listen to you. Ask me why.

yeah i knida was asking for help. thats why i made the post. but hey thanks for the synicism. it really helped me along. ask me why.

just to answer the other questions my buddy is planning on using it as hime defense. or so he says. i remeber a conversation a few months ago. i think he wants to explode some watermelons or something just to see what it does. i guess everyones got to do it once.

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    Well at least get a six that you drink and take your buddy his favorite.?
    oh yeah thats the plan. btw he actually owes me from a couple years ago. we bet a sixer ol man jenkins would stomp out the buring poo bag.. i won. that was in 1988......he aint paid up yet

You did not give your friend correct advice, 00 or 000 is fine using a modified or full choke in a 12ga shotgun and even better in a 10ga. If you have never fired 00 or 000 why did you give him the advice you did before finding out yourself. Just curious why?
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

well to be honest i have stated in earlier posts that i was told never to do that. that was 20 plus years ago. so i was given bad advice and actually followed it for life. untill 2 days ago. i appreciate the fact that you pointed out i gave him bad advice. i found that out earlier in the post. i feel like the rug has been pulled from under me. especially since i was taught the wrong from a young age. its ok though, your post in no way came acroos as trying to start an argument with me. but thanks for the support.

Default not sure

the buck shots should be fine. But steel loads still should be shot through the larger chokes. I am not a duck hunter or the like. But my beneli chokes for the super nova state "no steel" on two out of the 4 chokes. New boxes still say they will cause damage with to small of choke tubes.

Deer hunting in Indiana we used 12ga that had full choke bbls with all loads, but steel. My dad had a fancy gun with a slug bbl and used regular rifled slugs with awesome results! No need to buy the fancy sabots.

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post

You did not give your friend correct advice,

If you have never fired 00 or 000 why did you give him the advice you did before finding out yourself.

Just curious why?

Its ok though, your post in no way came across as trying to start an argument with me. but thanks for the support.
    JeepStew,

You are either naive, really nice, or have a great sense of humor.

In either case, I will have to remember that line
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Originally Posted by JeepStew

Please tell him not to ever fire the gun without a choke tube in it. It will screw up the threads.

yup that much we all agree on. it will ruin the threads... thanks