Thread: Truck tents

Default Truck tents

Has anyone here ever used one of those truck tents? I'm headed up to join some friends for a few days of hunting and since they already have a full tent and I'm a recent add-on, I'm thinking about getting a truck tent that I can set up in the bed of my Silverado after offloading the ATV. WalMart advertises one but I hear it isn't all that well built. Cabelas has one of course but it'll never be here by the end of the month. I'll head to SW tomorrow to see if they carry them and it doesn't look like REI has any so, does anyone have another suggestion of where to look?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

BOB flat out... the COLDEST night i ever camped was on the chitna in the wind, in the BED of my truck...

get a tent on the ground. you hiney will be warmer for it... espessally up north. good pads, good bag...no air under you..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

If you're in the mood to buy a tent, why not get a small tent that will fit in your truck. You'll get more use from it this way. I use a North Face Mountain 25 in the back of mine on hunts and it serves double duty for a camping tent.

Just my two cents. HTH.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    BOB flat out... the COLDEST night i ever camped was on the chitna in the wind, in the BED of my truck...

get a tent on the ground. you hiney will be warmer for it... espessally up north. good pads, good bag...no air under you..

I hear ya Vince but the wife got a say in this choice so a truck tent it is. We're going to get an air mattress to sleep on and I have a heater that will be perfect for this. Did I mention that the wife got a say in this?

The good news is that I still have my 6 man tent for remote stuff without her. I did spend quite a bit and got the Kodiak Canvas model. I'll let you know how it works out.

I wouldn't do an air mattress. It gets cold underneath you when the temps drop. Been there done that.
    Get pads or one of the those foam mattress (4"or 6" at least) toppers at Walmart. They're cushy and they'll be much warmer.
    Just my .02

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

BOB put an action packer in with the good gear in it...
    chaances are she will let you sell it to some city ite when you get back

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

the air mat or other may be olkay on the ground with a heater...but with steel and air under it??????
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I've got some sheets of foam I'll take along to put underneath the air mattress. If it gets too bad I'll climb into the cab of the truck and start it up. That should piss off the other guys some.

Put a couple moving blankets between you and the air mattress. The quilted kind.

In a pinch... newspapers work very well.. ask a bum.

Default Question:

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    Put a couple moving blankets between you and the air mattress. The quilted kind.

In a pinch... newspapers work very well.. ask a bum.
    How do you keep the blankets moving?

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    How do you keep the blankets moving?
    Leave them in the moving truck. Or buy them:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...1654_200331654

Default Dang! you're too serious!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    Leave them in the moving truck. Or buy them:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...1654_200331654
    When I was young and newly married I enjoyed something else soft and moving between me and the air mattress in a tent. Oh my, better stop there.