Thread: Five Cubic Feet Freezer Enough for Caribou?

Default Five Cubic Feet Freezer Enough for Caribou?

I'm confident I'll get a Nelchina herd caribou so I'm planning on getting a freezer to store him him when I get home. Will a 5 cubic foot freezer be big enough for one caribou?

Default sharing day

Prolly so, unless you try to store your hind quarters whole to show up for sharing day a full month later.

Sams club here has a 7 cubic foot chest freezer for $224. that they estimate uses only 30 bucks a year of electricity. I got a used/newish one identical to this for 50 bucks.

Default Ditto on the 7

I upgraded from a 5 to a 7 that I got at Sams and it has plenty of extra room for fish and other stuff. However it will only hold a third of a moose and a whole small caribou.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i have the 15... and an 17 up right that matches her fridge... the chest holds neatly stacked... 2 moose. i have to transfer meat to the upright. each month out of the chest... the issue with a small chest is that you can not find anything in it..i am looking for a good deal on a larger one now... i used to have the 20+ (biggest chest) and it was good to org. stuff in crates boxes and baskets.... typically i will make 100+ pounds of burger and sausage each year ( ground) and links of various types... along with our roast and steaks... so some sort of org. in the freezer is required.

we try to put at least 2 moose and a bou away each winter... along with birds and fish.. ..

the best thing about the chest freeze is that it is out on the porch. and at -0 or colder i keep it UNPLUGGED in the winter.. so power is saved by it also.. keeping the rain and snow off is important though they will fill up. with ice.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default bigger not better for us here

I like multiple small ones instead of large one(s). We have 3 small freezers and I"m looking for a 4th small one now.

In large ones, too much stuff gets lost and its way too much work to get to see what's in the bottom regularly.

Plus this way I can decommission one or two freezers the closer I get to spring, which keeps the wife from binge-ing in the frozen food section at Sams Club and filling them with stuff she won't eat; I can better manage it all with multiple small freezers.

To each their own. And yes on outside; my next one is going under my back porch for same reason Vince says.

Anyone got a 7-10 cubic foot modern chest freezer for 50 bucks? (Whoops, wrong forum for that question... )

I also like the idea of multiple small freezers. I got a 5 cubic foot one a year ago for the Copper River salmon I got dipnetting. It's in an outside storage shed so doesn't use electricity in the winter. When I get another 5 cubic foot one it will be out on the porch.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well i want the BIGGEST ONE i can...

open door... couple heads of cabbage... and a baggie of salt...another of pepper... and a bottle of yoshidas...

when moose climbs in...SLAM THE DOOR and done
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

5 cubic feet should hold an average processed caribou.

I use multiple small freezers as others have noted due to the experience we had cleaning out my father in laws after the compressor fried.

We found a squirrel (whole, intended for mounting) that my brother in law shot when he was 6.

He's 29 now.

Several other items were of equal or older vintage. Much easier to keep the stock in a couple of small ones turning over rather than a big one that keeps a bunch of stuff in 'balast' at the bottom! For that reason my next one will be an upright as well.

I just got a medium sized bull out of the 40 mile herd and processed it out . No bones . Steaks,roasts and berger. Ate ribs upon coming home. Got a 7 cubic foot at sams 2 days ago for 201. Actually I got 2 of them. They didn't have anything between 7 and 25. Most people have a 14.8 cubic foot and the two 7s were at least 100 bucks cheaper than the one. Now its easiers to move around the garage if I need to and makes it easier digging around for something. By the way You can easly put 2 caribou in a 7 footer if you leave out all the bones out.

between a 5 cu foot one and the freezer in your house, i think you will have plenty of room. Caribou arent so big that you will not have any room with a set up like that.

Talking Does F&G know?

The fish and game site is so informative about trapping... but I don't think they know about this method; you should let them know, Vince.

Man, you rough and tough frontiersmen really turn into McGyver when a little hunger hits, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post

open door... couple heads of cabbage... and a baggie of salt...another of pepper... and a bottle of yoshidas...

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    The fish and game site is so informative about trapping... but I don't think they know about this method; you should let them know, Vince.

Man, you rough and tough frontiersmen really turn into McGyver when a little hunger hits, eh?
    McGyver Hell....

that is customary and traditional... moose in a basket seasoning...

one stop shoping... elec chain saw every moring... take what you want and save the saw dust for burger... if the door hits it in the head right i just lays down and come spring time.. all you have left is a frozen rumen for bear bait...

now if you had planned in advance you had sprayed... PAM non stick cookng spray in the freezer PRIOR to slammng the lid on you moose... so the rumen just pops out with the wipe of a cloth......

i have found it best to also use the head up first... MA...she dont mind the chainsawing part that much.. but that one eye stairing up at her all winter gives her bad dreams...

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    We found a squirrel (whole, intended for mounting) that my brother in law shot when he was 6.

He's 29 now....
    Wow! I suppose it's too freezer burned by now!

Only 5 cu ft??? Heck my beer fridge is bigger than that

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    DITTO! ..... 26CBFT chest works very well. Moose,bou,fish, just sort it all out and stack in milk crate's and vwalla! Done deal....

Default of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Now there's some fodder for a poll: "How many people have a larger beer fridge than the size of their game meat freezer?"

Yeah, my hand goes into the air here too; but my beer fridge just has to be big; game meat can be split up into multiple units - try doing that with a supersized (1/2 barrel) keg!