Thread: Kenai bou run

Default Kenai bou run

Strike 1, more of a scouting run. Looked at different access points to find bou. Wish we had wings to do a recon of the area. Update more until my son fills his tag.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Default See any?

I will be doing the same thing this weekend. Where did you go in from? I'm thinking that summit creek trail might be a good option but I'm flying blind. I'm also considering flying over the area but havent decided yet.

Default bou

sent you a PM

hey man i also have that tag, but am outta state till bout the 5th wondering if there was any info you had for a first timer, anything would be awesome thanks

Default Wings today

Was able to get into a set of wings today and only saw 1 bou, YES 1! Didn't cover the whole area but a bunch. Must have been where we were not.

Quote Originally Posted by ACNDHO View Post
    Was able to get into a set of wings today and only saw 1 bou, YES 1! Didn't cover the whole area but a bunch. Must have been where we were not.
    Kind of what I told you in a PM.......RIGHT....? There are five right now behind my cabin, at 3,600 ASL they are cows and calves. The most I see is 11 or 15'ish there are few herds per say. They are scattered all over. If you are looking for meat it is an OK hunt, Oddly it is easier to get a goat here than a Caribou. They are around, but they are on the tops, and in groups of one to five, and you would have to be extremely lucky to get an attractive Bull. Sorry......You might look on the high lakes in the pass, or the head of Alder Creek or the head of Palmer Creek and over into Caribou Creek saddle. Your just going to have to spend many hours spotting. My advise is Hunt Black Bears (I d@mn near hit one on the Hope Road today) and if your looking for bears, the Caribou will show-up. In 40 years I have seen maybe three nice bulls.

Were you in a white plane?? My wife and I were hiking around in that tag hunt area today and watch a white plan buzz around in there. Was wishing I could see what they were seeing

Default bou

Thanks, that's all we are looking for is meat. Going back in tomorrow. 3600 ASL?

Default Were you in a white plane??

Which tent was yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    In 40 years I have seen maybe three nice bulls.
    Oh, there's some nice bulls in there. Not many record-book class, but both my brother and I have taken bulls that are quite nice for size but particularly cool for character. Weird drop tines, extra tines where I've never seen one, and cool shovels.

Everything else Hope mentions here is true. Small groups of caribou, widely scattered from Hope to Cooper Landing and all points in between, and very high. I hadn't thought about it until he said it, but goats are certainly easier in this area than caribou. Of course, they didn't give away any goat permits this year...but still.

Getting into Caribou Creek takes some doing, and I've never done it while hunting this tag, but once while hiking in there I saw two of the biggest caribou I've ever seen. Of course, they were right on top of a ridge above 4,000'. Such are the Kenai Mts caribou. Miles, miles, miles make the difference.

Which tent was yours?
    I didn't have a tent setup just hiked in for the day. First time in the area ever just getting a feel for the area. Put in some miles scouting, but not as many as you in the air.

Default round 2

Miles on the ground, saw 1 bou, 1 sheep, a wolverine and 2 tarmies. The bou was 3 miles away and ran out of time to go after him.

Default Kenai caribou

Just back last night after packing out a nice little bull for my buddy's first big game hunt. Took a while and lots of climbing involved, but we got lucky and he got his first animal. Saw several other bulls, a couple of very nice ones, but this guy worked out just fine. Got 146 pounds of boned-out meat from him- that's why everything on my body hurts like hell this morning. So, there are nice ones in there, but you've really got to work to get 'em.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats!!!
    It may not be the biggest bull out there, but it's a beautiful animal.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Congrats on the hunt!!! I'm hoping to try again for a couple days with my wife in mid-Sept to bag her 'bou. Thanks for the pics and way to go on getting a guy their first big game animal!!!

Thanks all for the kudos. It was interesting getting him up to speed- he'd hunted small game before but he's fairly nwe to Alaska and had never gone after anything with hooves. So we told him that if he'd apply for the same hunts that we applied for, if any of us got drawn, we'd all go. After he got the tag, my wife and I gave him the info we had, (I also teach hunter ed for ADF&G), took him to the range, then went out and looked for caribou. We got incredibly lucky, (long story to follow in another post), had some tough times as well as good one, and we all learned a lot. It was very gratifying to be able to take him out and have such great success on his first trip- we're just concerned that now he's going to think that this hunting deal is really easy! We've done our best to disabuse him of that notion with plenty of horror stories, so I think he's got a pretty good perspective on the whole affair. Fun trip, $#**loads of work, and all very satisfying.

Congratulation, great hunt.

Default congrats

thats a nice bull thanks for the pic

Default Caribou run

Great job on the buo!! I also have that tag and need to get back up there and chase the caribou..