Thread: Who owns and has shot a John Ross 500

Default Who owns and has shot a John Ross 500

I'm considering selling a few guns from my safe to own one. Don't do this very often.
    Steve

JoeJ, I received an email notice of your message but, nothing about how to get to it or contact you? Must have something set wrong in my CPs?
    Steve

If you ask this question on the S&W forum I am sure you will receive more responses.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    JoeJ, I received an email notice of your message but, nothing about how to get to it or contact you? Must have something set wrong in my CPs?
    Steve
    It's in your visitor message box.

JoeJ, why don't you guys just answer here?
    Snowwolf, I never knew this site had a S&W forum? Or are you talking about another site?
    Steve

Default My bad...I haven't been around for a while

I have one.

I like it.

Do you have any questions in particular about it?

Tennessee

Thanks, Snowwolf, I've been a member there for some time but, find opinions there to be immature at best from most and bias from others. Seems money is all most there care about(theirs not mine). Better since Lee took over, he's made quite a few changes for the better. There are other S&W sites more mature.
    http://smithandwessonforums.com/inde...a2210a9f700847
    Steve

JoeJ, why don't you guys just answer here?
    Snowwolf, I never knew this site had a S&W forum? Or are you talking about another site?
    Steve
    Didn't really know what you wanted, so I just went to your "user CP visitor box". I just wanted you to know that in my opinion the Ross 500 claim that the .0035 cylinder gap improving accuracy is more "marketing" than anything else and I think a little misleading, as "custom" revolvers such as BFR's will come with .002" or less cylinder gap. The Ross model IMO has better sights and a longer sight radius - making it a little easier for me to hit my target every now & then. I can shoot the Ross 500 all day long without suffering from muzzle blast fatigue, or whatever it's called, while the 4" Smith made my soft head beg for mercy. The best shooting "heavy recoiling" revolver I own is the BFR in 500JRH. With 440 grain bullets flying at 1,462fps I can normally keep all rounds within a 2" circle at 25 yards off-hand. Your hand and trigger finger will take a beating in the process but the accuracy is there. The S&W and Ross will come close but more often than not one or two rounds will open the group up to over 2"s but under 3"s at 25 yards off-hand. At 50 yards off-hand the best I've ever done is 6"s (10 shot groups) and those are few - the norm is 9" to 11"s and then there are the 16 to 20 inch groups that come along more often than I'd like but when you're shooting max reloads it's really hard for me anyway, at my age, to get my grip back for every shot and that's my excuse when the group opens up. The Ross 500 will take a greater toll on your wrist and palm with max loads than the Smith but will do so without all the muzzle blast. The Ross is also harder (slower) for me to get back on target with max loads than the compensated 4" model Smith. Your experience may vary, as I'm an ole fart.

Default Hey Joe

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Didn't really know what you wanted, so I just went to your "user CP visitor box". I just wanted you to know that in my opinion the Ross 500 claim that the .0035 cylinder gap improving accuracy is more "marketing" than anything else and I think a little misleading, as "custom" revolvers such as BFR's will come with .002" or less cylinder gap. The Ross model IMO has better sights and a longer sight radius - making it a little easier for me to hit my target every now & then. I can shoot the Ross 500 all day long without suffering from muzzle blast fatigue, or whatever it's called, while the 4" Smith made my soft head beg for mercy. The best shooting "heavy recoiling" revolver I own is the BFR in 500JRH. With 440 grain bullets flying at 1,462fps I can normally keep all rounds within a 2" circle at 25 yards off-hand. Your hand and trigger finger will take a beating in the process but the accuracy is there. The S&W and Ross will come close but more often than not one or two rounds will open the group up to over 2"s but under 3"s at 25 yards off-hand. At 50 yards off-hand the best I've ever done is 6"s (10 shot groups) and those are few - the norm is 9" to 11"s and then there are the 16 to 20 inch groups that come along more often than I'd like but when you're shooting max reloads it's really hard for me anyway, at my age, to get my grip back for every shot and that's my excuse when the group opens up. The Ross 500 will take a greater toll on your wrist and palm with max loads than the Smith but will do so without all the muzzle blast. The Ross is also harder (slower) for me to get back on target with max loads than the compensated 4" model Smith. Your experience may vary, as I'm an ole fart.
    'good to hear from you. I've been shooting my JR500 quite a bit. It's definitely snappier than a regular 8 3/8" model, and it certainly does bite the hell out of my trigger finger with heavy loads. I have built up a callous, so now it's no big deal to endure long range sessions.

From what I've heard, they could have made the cylinder gap smaller, but they stopped at .003" because anything less requires you to clean your gun as you shoot to allow for proper cylinder rotation. Mine gets a little crusty after 75-100 rounds.

I love not having a muzzlebrake. I still wouldn't shoot it w/o hearing protection, but at least the guy next to me at the range doesn't have a stroke when I touch off the first round (like the compensated versions).

Getting the muzzle back down quickly is a challenge. It'll take lotsa practice to be competent at what this gun is designed for...which is accurately dispatching fast, angry beasts. It's capable if you are, though. For me, it's not bears or a stampeeding bull, it's 500 lb. armor-plated Russian boar.

"It's capable if you are, though. For me, it's not bears or a stampeeding bull, it's 500 lb. armor-plated Russian boar."
    Been there done that, last December my oldest son and I both took Russian in Vermont.
    Steve

"It's capable if you are, though. For me, it's not bears or a stampeeding bull, it's 500 lb. armor-plated Russian boar."
    Been there done that, last December my oldest son and I both took Russian in Vermont.
    Steve
    Funny you should mention the Russian Boars, I and my eldest son took two last December in Vermont. Both of us were shooting Marlin lever guns in .35 Remington. I carried my 629-4 Mountain Gun in a chest holster also but, they came at us so quickly, I never had time to unholster it?
    Steve

So S.B., are you going to be pulling the trigger on the JR500 or are you just going the regular SW500 route - or maybe the 475 Linebaugh? All are excellent revolvers and will do what needs to get done. You could go with the 500 Linebaugh Long if you want something outside of the mainstream in the big bore lineup.

I've been talking with John Ross about one of his custom 500s. His place is near St.Louis Mo. I'm in central Illinois so we're close enough that maybe I could take a trip down and pick it up, if my money ever come through?
    Steve