Thread: New Swede in the Family

Default New Swede in the Family

At a gun show a few weeks ago, I saw something I just couldn't live without. I've always wanted a rifle with a Mannlicher style stock. Well long story short I brought home a little Carl Gustav 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser with a williams peep, and of course a Mannlicher stock. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but it sure is purdy6.5 SWEDE 038.jpg

6.5 SWEDE 040.jpg
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Default Sweet Swede

Now that is a find for sure. Wish I would one into something like that. Please let us know how she shoots.

Very Nice, Maybe I should have gone to the gun show

Default Love the Swede

I just love the Swede. It is a great little cartridge and perfect for petite rifles. From the pic it looks like you have a winner and you definitely have a beauty. Enjoy . . .

What a wonderfull little rifle. I figure it shoots as well as the care that was given to build it and it looks to be alot.

Default Might be a couple of ...

weeks before I get a chance to shoot. I have some 140 grain Hornady Spirepoints left from some 264 win mag developement a while back. I think they will work good out of the little 6.5. i don't have a scale but the rifle is pretty lite. It has an 18 1/2 barrel. Also at the gunshow I picked up an old set of RCBS dies and a bag of winchester brass. While looking for dies I saw some stamped 6.5 Scandinavian, is this the same or a completely different cartridge?

What are the markings on the receiver?
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default The receiver...

markings are as follows.

First is a crown
    Second is a fancy crested C and G combined
    Third CARL GUSTAFS STADS
    Fourth is GEVARSFAKTORI.
    Last is INTERARMCO G33/50
    On the side of the receiver is a small O.G. next to the serial number, which is 10xxx. The safety, bolt, and receiver all have the same number. However, the floorplate has a different number. So, Float Pilot, or anybody else, what do these markings tell you?

Markings tell me this is a sporteized M94/14 Mauser. Interarms (Intearmco) imported them and marked them G33/50 as a marketing tool. Many had a barrel extension welded tot he muzzle due to the Federal Rgualtions in effect int he 1050's that a rifle had to have an 18" barrel. The Swede carbine had a 17 + inch barrle length.

Carl Gustaf made this one for the Swedish army.

OG was the inspector's initials.

Thanks for the information Allen. Pretty interesting history lesson. I'm getting anxious to get out and shoot it. I will wait another week or two though its in the mid 90's here this week.

The original date on your carbine was ground off by the knuckle heads at Interarms. Then they restamped it with G33/50 which is a make-believe model number they used to import it.

Based upon the serial number range I would say your rifle was originally made in mid 1901.

It was inspected by O.G. who was Olof Darling Gibson a Swedish Army Officer and weapons inspector. He inspected carbines and rifles from May 11, 1898 until March 31, 1902.

Your rifling twist is one turn in 200mm which is about one turn in 7.95 inches.

Your chamber throat is also very long since that carbine was originally made to shoot 156 grain round nose bullets which were loaded very long out of the case mouth.
    Hornady 160 grain round nose bullets are also exactly the same profile as the original bullet.

Your carbine will also love 139 and 140 grain boat tails which is the ammo the Swede went over to in the late 30s / early 40s.

If you load them out to around 3.00 inches COL she will shoot even tighter groups.

Default Thanks Float Pilot

That is very interesting history, you obviously know your Swedish Mausers. Having a rifle of Swedish ancestry is also kind of sentimental to me. My great grandfather Albin Nordin, homesteaded here in N. Idaho around the turn of the century. The 20th century not the recent 21th. He was born in Mo, Sweden. Not sure of the year though. I found in my stuff, about half a box of Speer 140 gr. Grand Slams, I wish they still made those. They were pretty impressive out of my 264 win mag on deer and elk.

Great looking rilfe! Nothing truly beat the fine looks of a full length stocked rifle. Your's is one of the earlist ones. I own a full length stocked CZ in 9.3x62. I was also considering the 6.5x55 again too. That's one fine moose hunting carbine you have there!

Default new swede

Congrats!!!!
    and thank you FLoat Pilot for the information, that is one special Swede.

If you hand load, I would suggest trying Alliant Reloader-22 powder. It seems to come very close to duplicating the original Swede powder. It burns clean and seems not to give too many pressure signs.
    All my Swedes are in original military configuration so your will not be the same due to the pressure points in the stock.

My Swede carbine is a Carl Gustaf (the Swede Government Rifle Factory) m/94-14. A Model 1894 carbine that was later modified with a bayonet mount sometime after 1914.
    Most M94 carbines were made by CG. (Carl Gustaf) ,,,but..During the first few years of production (starting in 1895) they were made by the Mauser company in Oberndorf Germany on the Neckar River. These were made with Swedish steel which was deemed superior to all others.

For some reason my carbine is super picky about which primers I use. While my /38 and m/96 Swede Mausers like Federal 215s or CCI-220 primers, the carbine likes Remington standard 91/2 primers. the velocity stay about the same but mine will shoot half inch groups from a lead sled at 100 yards using the Remington Primers and then shoot a 2.5 inch group using the CCI primers.
    My carbines also seem to like the 160 grain Hornady bullets loaded hot, with 46.0 grains of RL-22 and a 3.00 COL.(MAX HUNTING LOAD use 45 gains for target work)) They only seem to like the 140 grain Sierra boat-tails if I load them down to lower velocities....Go figure...
    Attached Images Attached Images