Thread: europen mount

Default europen mount

Has anyone ever done a europen mount with the velvet on the antlers?
    If so did you do detachable antlers or can you boil your skull with the antlers on and not mess up the velvet? thanks for the help.

I tried having the same thing done a couple years ago and all the taxidermists i talked to said the only way they could do it was to strip the velvet then do the european mount and put artificial velvet on it.

Default yes

Quote Originally Posted by trapperdan View Post
    Has anyone ever done a europen mount with the velvet on the antlers?
    If so did you do detachable antlers or can you boil your skull with the antlers on and not mess up the velvet? thanks for the help.
    I'm having that done now at Knights Taxidermy in Anchorage, on Arctic close to Benson.

My understanding is that there are two options: the first is to strip the antlers, then boil/beetle the skull, and then apply the feaux velvet; the second is to remove the antlers w/ real velvet, then beetle the skull, and then reattach the antlers w/ the real velvet preserved. I am currently having a sitka blacktail done the second way. If you have the antlers removed then I believe it is ineligible for record book scoring. Since I am unconcerned about scoring/book eligibility, I worked hard to protect the real velvet so that it could stay on the buck as it existed in the wild. There may be options that I am unaware of, but this is what I know. Hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    I'm having that done now at Knights Taxidermy in Anchorage, on Arctic close to Benson.
    My brother also had a European mount with the velvet still on the antlers done at Knioght's. Russ did an excellent job and 10 years later still looks great. The velvet is not detachable, whatever that means.

he means detachable antlers (not velvet)....they cut the antlers with the velvet off of the skull and then reattach them after beetles clean the skull.

I think we need to see pics of this moose first!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by millsymojo View Post
    he means detachable antlers (not velvet)....they cut the antlers with the velvet off of the skull and then reattach them after beetles clean the skull.
    This is how I do it. I'm not sure I like the way they look ( skull and skin) but I do what the customer wants.
    Alaska Mountin' Man Taxidermy
    North Pole, Ak 99705
    (907) 488-7083