Thread: Best wood to burn for indoor fireplace?

Default Best wood to burn for indoor fireplace?

What is the best wood to burn in your indoor fireplace? I hear birch is the best but I was wondering what everyone uses during the winter months.

Birch burns good and Hot , but I use Spruce as all the birch died here in the Copper valley...There is A lot of Beetle Killed spruce here.

Rich

Do you worry about possible chimney fires with all the sap spruce suposedly gives off?

Quote Originally Posted by PACK1969 View Post
    Do you worry about possible chimney fires with all the sap spruce suposedly gives off?
    Green,yes. Not if it is dry however.

No, I burn the Creosote out by running it hot , tapping the pipe and then damping it down , and I sweep the chimney once or twice a year...Never Had a chimney fire but I keep a Gallon Ziplock bag full of water at the ready to pitch in the stove and shut it down , But Never used it in 25 Years !
    Rich

We burn a lot of elm down here, and walnut if I can find it. I have burned some softwoods and I have an EPA stove so the creosote buildup is minimal.

There is really only one choice for good firewood in Alaska...birch. If spruce is all you've got then use it.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

http://www.gi.alaska.edu/ScienceForum/ASF13/1307.html

spruce has more btu/lb

with all the dead beetle kill, spruce makes more sense especially if you harvest it yourself.

And...before we get all torqued over the point...I know the birch weighs so much more that pound for pound its considered a better fuel. However it isnt as readily available and I find a mixture best suited for my heating needs...start a fire with spruce because i lights easier and gets hotter faster then toss in some birch on the coal bed and choke it down.

The best fuel is whatever you have available.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

If your worried about the creoste buildup, you can go to a hardware store and buy one of those chimney cleaning logs ( I forget what the name is, the store can tell you.)

I have a bunch of oak here in Delta for anybody thats interested.

...one of those chimney cleaning logs
    I always wondered if those work. I sweep my chimney about 3 times per winter. It was still pretty built up the last time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    If your worried about the creoste buildup, you can go to a hardware store and buy one of those chimney cleaning logs ( I forget what the name is, the store can tell you.)
    Make sure that your stove doesnt have a catalyst if you use those, it will ruin it the first time. Just an FYI

And...before we get all torqued over the point...I know the birch weighs so much more that pound for pound its considered a better fuel. However it isnt as readily available and I find a mixture best suited for my heating needs...start a fire with spruce because i lights easier and gets hotter faster then toss in some birch on the coal bed and choke it down.
    No torque here No beetle killed spruce either Hence my comments on spruce. It'd be pretty hard to burn birch in Ketchikan. I always love questions like the original post...Alaska is a huge place.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

The best wood to burn is the wood you get for free Honestly that's the deciding factor, so I mostly burn beetle killed spruce. Birch is my favorite to burn, but some years I get it, other years its a road trip down the Seward to get a load or two of beetle killed spruce.

I don't use wood to heat my house, just to take off the chill now and again and for the kids to roast marshmellows. I think the most I've burned in a winter is 1/2 cord.

I have to chimney sweep come out and inspect and brush the flue if needed. Which reminds me I need to get that done before winter, as well as get the boiler inspected.

Some of the best wood to burn is the fire kill, a little messy but burns great.