Thread: New to Flats

Default New to Flats

I am just looking to see if anyone can direct me into any roads/trails to acess the minto flats area, not looking for anyones "honey holes" as stated in previous threads but I just drove/moved here from NH and I have not learned the road systems yet and the flats look like a pretty good area to start hunting until I learn the area and can find a few honey holes myself. Looking from my AK Gazette it seems that murphy dome road comes close/canoe acess? If anyone is ever looking for some company or help send me a PM. Good luck to all on the 1st.

Default lost

went up Murphy dome Road today, national guard warned me of a fire and said the road is still open. I got lost though I never made it to the flats. I got to a junction to where the FAA and Airforce have radar towers to the right and with all of the firefighter equipment in the way I dont know if the road was hidden but I went down a couple of trails but most seemed not safe for a full size pickup. The only road/trail that seemed possible was a trail off to the left opposite side from the USAF Radar tower, and it had a red sign full of bullet holes saying it was a 4x4 and sled trail and not for trucks, was this it or was I way off?

You have a map?
    Tim

Default found it

Went back and made it, stoped and helped a couple of guys in a subaru that lost a tire and did not have a lug nut wrench and gave them a ride back to the fire camp because my yota wrench was to big. I didnt see the road turn to the left because there was a string of Hummers/trucks in the way on my previous trip up. Had no idea the flats were so large. I hope I can get to some productive water in my kayak in less than a few hours as the float down the chat seems pretty long although there seems to be a few places I can portage to make it to a lake and get hunting faster.

Default minto

To be honest with you...minto flats isn't going to be real accessible by Kayak...It's about an hour by boat going 25 mph to the confluence of the Chat and Goldstream..then another 20 to 40 minutes up the Goldstream to reach the flats and really huntable area. That said there are a number of lakes on and along most of the river that have birds and would provide jump shooting. I would still worry about the paddle back up. My camp is about 27 river miles from the landing..but only 8 miles as the crow flies. If you have questions..drop me a pm. I'm out there every weekend till freezeup.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

access should beinteresting this year with 3 months of fire on those flats... keep us informed..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default not bad

from the stories i have heard of past years the road does not seem that bad, the last 1/4 mile is a little rough but my toyota in two wheel drive with stock tires went thru just fine. I am just worried that someone is going to trash my truck while Im gone. Are these stories true of what i hear when parked on murphy dome rd? anyone with past experience parking down there and as far as the fire goes all is torched to the north of murphy dome all the way from the valley to the road with a few patches spared. will be some great moose and grouse hunting in a few years though.

Default parking

I have never heard of any problems parking at the landings on the Chat below murphy dome

thats good to hear because I did a search a few weeks ago and thought I hear of some stories of flat tires and broken windows. Has anyone got out to the flats in a canoe? I heard its about an hour motor boat ride to the flats on the chat but from looking at the sat maps there are many places to take a short cut and portage with a canoe.

There are places to portage..one is at an Aframe quite a ways down. I don't know who said that it's an hour to the flats on the chat but their boat much do more than 30 miles an hour. I have seen one canoe in the flats that was paddled in and he had a ride coming to get him out. If you have an ATV I know a way to get to the flats that would probably involve a great deal of winching but not the hours of floating downriver...just hours of winching..lol!!

Default vehicle damage at Minto

When reviewing posts about Minto Flats and reading about damage to vehicles you have to keep in mind that many folks access the flats from the road into the village of Minto. There is the occassional damage to vehicles left at the boat ramp near or in the village.

Minto village is to the north of the flats and with a maintained road from the highway people with larger boats that would not do well on the 4WD road down Murphy Dome get into the flats from there.

There will always be the possiblity of vandalism to a vehicle left at any place along a road system. The closer to a community the risk increases. The harder to get to the risk decreases. However, even on the haul road above the Yukon there are reports of vandalism while guys are off chasing 'bou.

thanks for the info, I was not sure as to where the locations of past reports were coming from so that makes me feel better when I go to park there in the future.

Hey there Onehook. Taiga knows his stuff for sure. I've been down there with him and buddies. Not sure I'd ever try paddling, even though they all say I am nuts!
    Won't be any problem parking down off Murphy Dome. Too many locals and cabin owners running around. I pity the idiot that takes to getting himself into trouble down there. Folks down there are helpful, but very willing to protect their stuff as well as others.
    The Chat is not very big, and expect traffic from motorboaters if you do try it. Even a paddle to the A Frame is pretty long, but you might just make it and back just fine.

Thanks RR. Was down in the flats this past weekend. Water is low. River is normal for late August. There are still fire fighters on the road. Trail to the lower landing has not changed. I did not go to the upper landing but hear rumour of improvements.