Thread: Victory!

Talking Victory!

Went on my first moose hunt today with my lucky lotto ticket DM731 and wouldn't you know I had one 625 pound cow dropped to the ground by 5:45 this morning. I want to thank some great Alaskans who drove by and helped me finish the job field dressing it! They gave me a priceless eduacation! Lots of lessons learned. I turned in 500 pounds to the processor and can't wait ti get it back.

Quote Originally Posted by AlcanRon View Post
    Went on my first moose hunt today with my lucky lotto ticket DM731 and wouldn't you know I had one 625 pound cow dropped to the ground by 5:45 this morning. I want to thank some great Alaskans who drove by and helped me finish the job field dressing it! They gave me a priceless eduacation! Lots of lessons learned. I turned in 500 pounds to the processor and can't wait ti get it back.
    Congrats Ron!!!

I hope to have a chance at my first moose this year. Early AM was my time as time is short and cabin building is important this year.

Mike

Default Sorry For You

Please accept my most sincere and heartfelt regrets for your "victory". Although it has to be an amazing thrill for you, there is another part of this story that is yet to be written.

Many, many of us out here are thrilled that you got your moose in such and "easy" manner. And to have help by strangers in the field is such a bonus. But remember, this will be the easiest kill you will ever make on a moose. Most of the time it is days, and sometimes weeks of patience and hard work.

Then, when you do put down that 1600 pound bull and you are five miles from your nearest hunting partner, I want you to always remember this: One minute with your knife in the moose, one and a half minutes with your eyes scanning the surroundings. Bears tend to sneak in when you least expect them. Bending over a moose kill is WHEN YOU SHOULD EXPECT THEM!

By your short story I think about one of my favorite sayings, but it doesn't seem to apply in your case, at any rate, here it is:
    MURPHY IS ALIVE AND WELL AND LIVING IN ALASKA!

Congratulations and enjoy the spoils of your hunt! JHB

Default I hear you

I fully understand what you are saying and situational awareness is the key! But I guarentee that anyone out there that puts in for draw hunts would have done the same thing with the same opportunity. I saw another fellow cleaning his behind Two Rivers Restraunt by the lower pond on the way home.

Congrats to you Ron...take every gift moose you can get. I didn't and regret it still....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    Congrats to you Ron...take every gift moose you can get. I didn't and regret it still....

hmmm well there have been a few big ones i let walk... still don't ever regret them... i was young no family to feed and no need for that large an animal...when i was 17 i let a 70incher wander off... he was Just to big... and to date.. 43 is my largest. I DON'T regret not getting afew of them... but i sure savor the memory of it.

congrat ron... hauling the wife out come the first for her shot at the lil chena area cows....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince, by gift I mean spike bull on good ground (mature spruce, clean moss) 40 yards off the trail, 400 yards from camp. Easy, clean kill on a beautiful, sleek meat bull and my Antleritis kicked in.

The hunting gods have been punishing me since....

Default Picture of a gift

It was truely a gift! I was going to a friends cabin for the weekend and only made 2 miles into my southern boundry and there she was on a pretty flat surface in an easy area to haul it out. I actualy drove away the first time thinking it was insanely to easy but realized it was a chance of a lifetime. I came back 5-10 minutes later and she was still there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good Job Ron!!
    Tell Bare Hunter he can kiss your *****.
    We have all gotten the good and the bad and wouldn't pass up the easy. Bare hunter just hasn't had a chance at the easy; or won't admit it anyway.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    Vince, by gift I mean spike bull on good ground (mature spruce, clean moss) 40 yards off the trail, 400 yards from camp. Easy, clean kill on a beautiful, sleek meat bull and my Antleritis kicked in.

The hunting gods have been punishing me since....

LOL welllll they will do that to us from time to time...

every year i search for one nice big one... but get handed all the little one..i take it... for fear of just what you got!!!!!!!!!!

i have found other... venues to get my big rack fix
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by AlcanRon View Post
    It was truely a gift! I was going to a friends cabin for the weekend and only made 2 miles into my southern boundry and there she was on a pretty flat surface in an easy area to haul it out. I actualy drove away the first time thinking it was insanely to easy but realized it was a chance of a lifetime. I came back 5-10 minutes later and she was still there.
    Aint it strange HEB's just keep popping up everywhere, especially in places you least expect them.

Congrats Ron, the chances of you having such a non-laborious haul in future hunts is very remote.. Greg and I have walked a few miles now with a couple of tons on our backs and shoulders over the years.

Should be up on the river in a few weeks.. see if we can find a swamp donkey or two..

Again good job Ron! enjoy.

Smile HEB

No thats a good one! I had to think about that one for a moment! I miss there ice cream!