Thread: Mercury Mechanic in Valdez??

Default Mercury Mechanic in Valdez??

We'll after 5 days on the road, I buy my slip space at Valdez harbor, ready to go fishing. BUT, i don't see any water pssing out the back of the motor. Shut it down, try again still nothing. Load it back on to the trailer.
    2003 Merc 40 hp 4 stroke, I'll check the internet, maybe somthing I can fix.
    if not does anyone know of a mech. in the area?
    thanks
    Gordon

Trash the merc and buy a honda

Seriously though that sucks, good luck
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Try unhooking the line that goes to the "pee hole" and see if you get water out of that. I have seen the outlets plug up with salt residue or sand. If you get water out of the hose, but not the pee hole, then find a small wire or drill bit to open it back up. If you are not that lucky, then it sounds like you lost a water pump. I am not sure about your your motor, but some newer motors are themostat controlled and the won't pee until the motor gets up to temp. I don't know if that is your case or not. Just something to think about. Hope some of this helps you.

Thumbs up yup! yup!

pull hose off block..if it pees.. then take a drill bit and make that pee hole ..BIGGER .. "at the coweling plastic " .. if not pump ...u don't need no mec...these ARE things u/all need to know to run'em ...
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

If I was at home, and had the boat sitting in my shop I'd be able to trouble shoot it better. Since it's in the parking lot at the RV park I'm limited to the amount of debugging they will allow. I'll see if I can find a spot with a hose, I have my muffs to supply water, and see if the pee hole is plugged. If not I'll still be looking for a local mechanic.
    thanks

Get in touch with Stu at Boatworks here in Valdez. His number is in the book, he works out of his box van. I'm sure you can ask around for his number, he does all the work on our familys 30 foot bayliner. Does great work, highly recommend him. Oh yeah, and we have a 454 Merc in our boat, so I'm sure he'll know a thing or two about how to fix yours...

Good Luck!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by k7grc View Post
    If I was at home, and had the boat sitting in my shop I'd be able to trouble shoot it better. Since it's in the parking lot at the RV park I'm limited to the amount of debugging they will allow. I'll see if I can find a spot with a hose, I have my muffs to supply water, and see if the pee hole is plugged. If not I'll still be looking for a local mechanic.
    thanks
    Be advised, using a hose and pressure will give you the false indication that the pump is working. Using muffs or plates and a hose is not a true test. It is ony about an hours work to replace the pump. Doesn't require special tools or special skills. Very basic undoing and redoing. Unless you have been using it in salt very long and not rinsing it well. Then....you could be in for a real mess, with the corrosion on the screws/bolts. During reassembly always use an anti-corrosion/anti-sieze compound on the threads. It is actually faster sometimes to pull it apart and look at it, than it is to monkey around trying to troubleshoot it.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Lightbulb yup!!!

"Be advised, using a hose and pressure will give you the false indication that the pump is working" ... ........... the garden hose presure is what u will see....but still pull the hose off the block...bet'a thats it ...

If you back down to the harbor there is a place for wash down where you can hookup and the Boat Works van is right there to the right if you are facing downtown.

As noted above the water hose and muffs can give you a false indication. Do pull the witness hose and see if it's pushing water. Ask around as you may be able to find some one that has a big enough trash can to run it in.

As a side note, I can't remember the name(Central Hardware????), the white Hardware store across the street from the campground just behind the NAPA store, they had a lot of water pump parts sitting on the shelf back in the fishing dept. Especially for Merc stuff. Also ask as they said they had a bunch of parts sitting on the shelves in the back. Seems that they are kind of a liquidator.

The other place would be the red building just down the street from there if you get to needing a pump.

All is good again, found half the Alcan dust inside the water exit port. Cleaned it out and works like new.. Today we head out for the Silvers. Thanks for the ideas

Quote Originally Posted by k7grc View Post
    All is good again, found half the Alcan dust inside the water exit port. Cleaned it out and works like new.. Today we head out for the Silvers. Thanks for the ideas
    Mine got blocked up like that once. Only I didn't figure out that it was blocked until after I had replaced the waterpump.

Thumbs up now fix it for good!

now u have to make that hole bigger! so it can spit out tree seeds ,duck weed,little rocks etc... about the same size as the "grates" on the pump.. don't worry there is "all kinds " of water to go around......go to your dealer and have a look at a pump kit and that will show u the size.. the pee hole indacator is just for piece of mine ...the water will flow anyways.. i even know folks who don't run the pump with there 'jets'... they don't idle them dam near at all either...