Thread: .338 Boss Settings

Default .338 Boss Settings

I have a .338 Winchester model 70 with a Boss on it. It got passed down to me from my father about 6 years ago and I have killed lots of game with it. On this last trip I was shooting at a Caribou and found my ears are still ringing as I type.

My question is there is a scale on the barrel 1-10, and a scale on a dial also from 1-10. What should I have it set at but more importantly what does adjusting the boss do?

Any help might save my hearing, or shot placement, I missed that Caribou but got the next one.

Thanks!

Try this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaCoUyjKaVk

It's a full explanation of how the BOSS works. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by H20Dogg View Post
    I have a .338 Winchester model 70 with a Boss on it. It got passed down to me from my father about 6 years ago and I have killed lots of game with it. On this last trip I was shooting at a Caribou and found my ears are still ringing as I type.

My question is there is a scale on the barrel 1-10, and a scale on a dial also from 1-10. What should I have it set at but more importantly what does adjusting the boss do?

Any help might save my hearing, or shot placement, I missed that Caribou but got the next one.

Thanks!
    I use to have a 270 Win in an A-Bolt with the BOSS. I liked that rifle, but I never cared for the muzzle brake that was integral with the BOSS when they first were released to the public. I always intended to get a CR sleeve (CR stands for Conventional Recoil) for the BOSS but I got rid of the rifle without purchasing one. If I had a BOSS rifle right now I would not rest this evening until I had located a CR sleeve and had it on its way to me.

The numbers are placed there for reference. You may dial the BOSS system clockwise and counter clockwise to adjust the barrel harmonics to fine tune the rifle to a particular load. With the scale on the BOSS you can find a sweet spot for one bullet weight, make note of the BOSS position say 3 & 1/2, and then determine the sweet spot for another bullet weight at say 8. Then you can adjust the BOSS according to what ammo you are using.

My experience with the BOSS indicated that the system works pretty well. I definitely could change accuracy by adjusting the BOSS. I did not particularly care for the fact that I had a barrel that performed like it was two inches shorter than it actually was and I just got tired of the rifle and parted ways with it.

I do not care for muzzle brakes and I am confident that was ultimately the reason I got rid of it, but I have a friend that loves his A-Bolt BOSS with a CR sleeve installed.

Smile Got It!

Thanks guys I already got it to the sweet spot.