Thread: Would you buy a freighter for recreation only?

Default Would you buy a freighter for recreation only?

Hi all,

Looking to upgrade from my 18' Clipper MacSport as the 4 of us are getting a little crowded with gear. I don't hunt using the canoe so it's for fishing, recreation and exploring -- bigger lakes, bigger rivers, and protected inlets.

Would you still get a Hudson Bay in these circumstances? Otherwise I was thinking of a 16' or 18' Lund open skiff. I may even look at a runabout but I'm trying to keep things simple and cheap to run as fuel prices will inevitably rise.

Thoughts?

I would be thinking an 18' lund with a 50 4 stroke. The fuel economy is crazy (good crazy) on that setup. Very stable and seaworthy boat yet still reasonably priced. Very versable rig. Then hang on to your canoe for those once a year trips that it would be better suited for.

I would probably get the aluminum boat just for fishing ,just alittle easier to move around in while fishing.I have had many aluminum skiffs and jet baots,I looked at the hudson bay for a couple years now and finally bought one this year.The HB will handle rough water at least as well as a skiff and with it's length it might even be a little smoother,but not as easy to move around in.For longer trips you could pack way more gear in the HB.I can't believe how cheap the HB is to run,I have a 20hp honda,just went on a short day trip last weekend,14 miles down river(8 mile/hr current) and trolled on the lake for about 2hours then back up river 14 miles,burned under 5 liters of fuel,crazy. Tough choice,been there

Good Luck!

I would get the HB.I believe they are much cheaper to run and hold their value better. You can paddle it around where you like alot easier also.

Default HB

I feel a little dum but what is an HB ???????

Default HB

Hudson Bay..
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

So how hard is it to move around in the HB? Can you stand and walk around? It has a 56 inch beam so seems pretty steady. I'll have 2 kids, a wife and a dog with me.

Also, how easy to load from a dock?

As with 99.9% of people, have to buy a HB sight unseen, no chance to test drive.

The HB is very stable,it actually surprised me when I first tried one,the more you load it the more stable it becomes.Just meant it's easier to move around in a boat with a big wide flat floor,the HB has seats tand 2 cross supports to steb over.The HB is great to fish out of and stable enough to stand up and fish out of.Not sure how well the HB's hold their value,probably pretty well.I can't imagine a better all around boat that doesn't have a roof and windshield

Thanks. I'm trying to get as much info as I can in terms of how it works as a recreational boat. They are not in demand here and I'd lose my shirt if I had to sell it.

where dou you live?What kind of water do you plan to use it on?

BC coast, large lakes, large rivers, protected ocean inlets.

Would probably go with a deep v aluminum under those conditions,especially if you have no need for the huge weight capacity of the HB,the HB would work but that sounds like Deep V enviroment.I would look at the 18' alaskan made by crestliner