Thread: best cold weather fishing gloves

Default best cold weather fishing gloves

So I am going to the Aluetians from the 9-16 of october for some Steelhead fishing and need some advice. I am wondering what you guys think are the absolute best cold weather fishing gloves. I am thinking about getting 2 different pairs as cold fingers are one of my biggest worries for keeping me off the water.

I just wear a pair of Simms Windstopper Half Finger gloves but they also have foldovers as well.

http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/xdpy/sg/GLOVE

I like to use the wool gloves with the mitten that fits over the fingers. But I would make sure you bring a couple pairs of whatever you choose, it is always nice to have a dry pair handy.

Thumbs up

Pick up about a dozen pairs of the GI Wool Glove Liners. They will save the day.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default warmers

bring some hand warmers and a small hand towel to dry your hands off when you get the chance... cold hands are inevitable out there.

what drainages are you planning to fish?

Gloves are still one thing I have not found the perfect answer for. During the fall months september and october I usually dont wear any while fishing. I will put them on when Im rowing.

In winter months Nov through March I usually dont wear one on my reeling hand but will on my casting hand. I have a pullover with pockets and will put hands warmers in the pockets. About every 10 minutes stuff the cold hand in there and warm it up. It usually goes hand in hand with Knock Ice out of eyelets. Warm hand, fish again.

Once they get to that certain Numbness it does not matter anymore
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Thanks

Thanks for your responses guys. It really seems like there is still a market need to be filled for something that really fits the bill for cold weather fishing. I think I am going to go with a pair of the simms and then some cheaper liners and a ton of hand warmers.

Jocko,

I will be fishing the Hoodoo river, the David River and possibly some others. I am doing a steelhead exploratory trip with the fly shop out of Redding CA. If anyone has fished over there and wants to share their experiences and or gear/tackle suggestions i would love to hear about it as I have never fished for steelhead before. Here is a link to the trip i am doing with my Dad and some of my friends coming back from Iraq.

http://www.flyshop.com/flyfishingtravel.com/hosted.html

Here are my Simms in action on a particularly nasty day at the end of September last year.

Took 'em off during fish handling duty.

I fish and also Dredge for gold in cold water and the best gloves I have found are the cheapest...The latex dipped Jersey Gloves available at Fred Meyers, True Value Hardware , Etc. They are warm and really hold up to abrasion where My Fancy, expensive Camo Sportsmans gloves were torn up in a few hours...These lasted for a week...3-4 Bucks a pair !
    Rich

I use neoprene gloves mostly unless I'm out on a boat handling nasty-ast halibut bait and such then I use processor gloves. I even have a pair that have gauntlets that go up past my elbows for clam digging in the lagoon.

Make sure you have good rain gear and mid layers.
    Now what ?