Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remington 700 Mountain Rifle

Default Remington 700 Mountain Rifle

Howdy all from sunny Florida. Love to come up for a hunt in Alaska. I just bought the Mountain Rifle. Down here in Florida the 280 caliber isn't popular at all. I got some Remington 165 grain Kore Loc and I couldn't group at all at 100 yards. I have the vx3 Leupold on it. Finally found some Federal 140 grain Fusion. Now I can group 2 inch group at 100 yards. I started out low and kept raising the vertical and finally got it to 1 inch below bulls eye. Now the scope won't go any higher. I'm happy with this with the Federal just took me 10 shots to get it there. I wanted it 1 inch over bulls eye at 100 yards. Should I be happy with this or take the rifle to a gunsmith and see if he can help me.I have a deer hunt in November in Northen Florida during the rut hope to take this rifle. Biggest problem here those that do any kind of work for the general public throw up red flags

I would not be happy with it and would guess something ain't right.

I have a Remington Titanium Mountain Rifle in 30-06. They are VERY picky about which ammo they like.
    That is due to the super thin barrel and the two little pressure points that are built into the stock's barrel channel.
    They are also very picky about how much pressure is on the action screws.

When I first bought mine it would not shoot under 4 inches with anything. (I tried 15 different types of factory loads and a bunch of handloads.)

Then I free floated the barrel and it would suddenly shoot a half inch group with Federal factory 165 grain boat tails. (only that one load) ...

Then I decided to re-bed the action and it shot two or three other loads at half inch as long as I let the barrel cool.

HOWEVER,,,, I managed to break the stock...a long story which was discussed here.....

SO...Remington found out about my story and sent me a free stock in the overnight mail.

This new stock still has the two pressure points in the barrel channel.. I took it to the range and with the new stock, it suddenly wants to shoot 180 grain boat-tails in small little groups as long as I let the barrel cool...

So I am not going to mess with the new stock, just let it shoot the loads it likes.

**** Notes:

1. My barrel was stainless and thus needed to be broken in. I shot 5 and cleaned the barrel for the first 50 rounds. Even that was not enough so I stroked the barrel with JB Bore compound for a couple hundred strokes and it smoothed right out.

2. These lightweight barrel will only fire two or three rounds before they are so hot that the barrel warps and starts to throw shots. So fire your shots with a few minutes between shots. It will make a HUGE difference.

3. Be careful about using a Lead Sled with these lightweight rifles. The recoil ends up being transferred into the wrist area of the stock and will damage the stock and bedding. Let your should absorb the recoil.

Float Pilot

Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Welcome

If youíre at the mechanical the elevation limits and still hitting low at 100 something isnít right! I would suspect a mount problem since it is holding a semblance of a group. Yes, if it was beyond me I would I would have it looked at.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Sorry but I can't really tell from your post, are you able to zero the Fusion ammo like you want it or is also an inch low at 100 yards? If it were my rifle I would look into why you there is not enough elevation adjustment. There are several possibilities, but sounds like you may save time and money by taking your rifle to a competent gunsmith.

I think your accuracy (2 inch groups) is sufficient for most hunting scenarios and would only be concerned with making certain the scope and mounts are performing correctly.

Default Rings

If your groups are good one inch low, get a set of rings that allow you to adjust your elevation using inserts inside the rings. I have a set from Burris that I was able to gain 16 inches in elevation on an old Win 30-30. There is at least one othe company that make these type rings, not sure, maybe Convex. Also I have a couple of 280,s one a Mod 700 early Mt rifle. Both like 145 gr speers and not much else. They are deadly on hogs having killed several dozen with them in Texas.

Default Remington 700 Mountain Rifle in 280 caliber

I was told to have the gunsmith put spacers on it. I have Ruger rifles and they shoot anything. I have shot 2 hogs , Axis doe and rather nice Axis buck with my 308 Ruger 77mark 2 here in Florida with my Ruger #1 using 100 grain Hornady with the Leupold vx111 in Boone and Crocket Plex. This Remington so far shoots better with 140 grain. Going to try Hornady 139 grain once I use up the Federal. Going to take rifle to gunsmith and see what he thinks. This rifle is sure been a pain for me

No not happy with it being inch low. I want and prefer 1 inch high

What kind of Burris rings??

I'm ready to trade this Mountain Rifle for a Ruger all weather 7 mm mag with a lamintated stock. I own 2 rugers and never had a nightmare as I am having with this Mountain rifle. Since I really don't know what to do. Getting lot of advice about mounts,rings have rifle barrel glassed. The on said should buy a new trigger he can do that for me just for $165.
    Down here in Florida lot of scams and those looking for a quick buck.

Default Mounts and rings

Burris Signature ZEE Rings and mounts, part number 420521, also need SIG POS Align kit that has 3 sets of different inserts for the rings. PN 626019. Not sure of cost, been a while since I purchased them. Again, if you just need to raise point of impact, this is the cheap way to do it. Jump on line and do some reserch.

I have or had a 700 stainless mountain rifle in 270. I believe that number one son layed claims to it thus it now resides at his house. I remember that gun shooting 1 inch three shot groups (probably the reason it's still around). Like most buggy whip barrels this one too would string shots as the barrel heated up. However in hunting applications that wouldn't be a problem.

If you were to peel the scope, rings and bases off of that gun and set them aside. Then replace them...even if you do so with the cheap Weaver bases, a set of their $10 4x4 rings and a 30 dollar 4x BSA scope. Even with this cheap set up that gun should shoot 2 inch groups consistantly. Remington never made a 700 that shot as bad as you are describing. So unless someone has put a very nasty hicky in the muzzle crown then it has to do with something from the scope bases on up. I don't want to offend you but understand that I have no clue as to your experience...the only other thing it could be is a new shooter with a bad case of the flinchies!

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaHogHunter View Post
    I'm ready to trade this Mountain Rifle for a Ruger all weather 7 mm mag with a lamintated stock. I own 2 rugers and never had a nightmare as I am having with this Mountain rifle. Since I really don't know what to do. Getting lot of advice about mounts,rings have rifle barrel glassed. The on said should buy a new trigger he can do that for me just for $165.
    Down here in Florida lot of scams and those looking for a quick buck.
    Burris Signature Rings do allow for adjustment and I use them in certain applications. In fact there is a excellent rifle smith and BR shooter that uses them exclusively and recommends them to all of his customers.

Stay away from someone trying to sell a trigger to fix the low point of impact. Like I said there are several possibilities as to what is wrong, but I doubt any of them require an expensive fix. Where do you live in FL? I use to live in Cape Coral and can recommend an honest gunsmith in Ft. Myers that could take a look for you.

I also live in Cape Coral. It has changed to the worst now crime here is terrible 13% unemployment. So many homes going foreclosure.
    I live in North Cape off Pine Island road

I been doing research. I looked at a web site where owner hunts with the Mountain rifle. And says there is no better rifle. I been looking at rings and mounts till I dream about them. Then I really don't know whole lot about rings and mounts to start with. Now ask me how to train a dog I can talk ears off. i have 2 working line shepherds. That I have trained and I have trained them both in German. My ***** don't take names is very civil Belguin bred
    Last edited by FloridaHogHunter; 08-16-2009 at 16:04. Reason: mis spell

Hog hunting here in Florida is very good. But land owners charge to hunt hogs yet complain on damage to citrus groves they do

I shoot well with a rest. I have a friend watch me shoot and I'm steady. As I said I can group 2 inch groups with Federal 140 grain. I was trying to sight in with Remington 165 grain Kore loc and I get a bulls eye then shots were scattered. I let barrel cool and same thing till went to the 140 grain. Right off the bat I was doing 2 inch groups. Now I want 1 inch over bulls eye at 100 yards this should have me right at bulls eye at 300 yards. As I was told by another that has same rifle.Then here in Florida most shot are under 200 yards. I had 160 yards and just over 100 yards. Using my Ruger #1 was a done deal.

Default Would have to look, but...

"they" make a 20 minute plus elevation base for the short action guns that adds up to 20 minutes elevation on top of the mechanical limits of the scope. Added thickness at the rear, or perhaps thinner at the front, but you get the idea. Not sure if it's available for the long actions, but worth a look. Check out the 'sniper/long range' shooters web sites.
    If you can get away without putting shims under the base, you're better off. Having said that, Dad is still using a 17 Enfield that he sporterized in 1953 with a couple of slivers of beer can under the front of his Redfield base......
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 08-17-2009 at 03:59. Reason: .

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaHogHunter View Post
    I shoot well with a rest. I have a friend watch me shoot and I'm steady. As I said I can group 2 inch groups with Federal 140 grain. I was trying to sight in with Remington 165 grain Kore loc and I get a bulls eye then shots were scattered. I let barrel cool and same thing till went to the 140 grain. Right off the bat I was doing 2 inch groups. Now I want 1 inch over bulls eye at 100 yards this should have me right at bulls eye at 300 yards. As I was told by another that has same rifle.Then here in Florida most shot are under 200 yards. I had 160 yards and just over 100 yards. Using my Ruger #1 was a done deal.
    hog hunter; if your scope had been mounted on another rifle you may be "out of adjustment". if this is NOT a new scope try this.....RECENTER your scope to allow a full range of adjustment. just turn your scope elevation dial completely to the right until it bottoms out. then turn it all the way back, counting the clicks (or marks on the dial) divide by two, and return to that number. do the same to the windage dial, and your scope will be recentered, with a full range of adjustment.

as to your group, clean your bore with a good copper remover (barnes cr10) following the instructions on the bottle. then start over, with your target work. there can be exceptions with anything, but my 700's shoot very well! good luck.
    happy trails.
    jh

Took my rifle this morning to a gunsmith. Found out that stock is swollen on one side. Thanks to humidity here in Florida. . I never checked barrel when I bought this rifle . Learn something new barrel should not be stiff. So gunsmith will refloat barrel and should be fine. Once he does that going back to the range. If that doesn't work wants to glass bed the barrel. No more wood stocks if I ever get another rifle. This is first used I ever bought. Always saved to have enough to buy new. Least not scope,rings or mounts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast