Thread: Leupold Spotting Scopes?

Default Leupold Spotting Scopes?

Have any of you used the Leupold 30x60 spotting scope or the 25x50? The old gold ring ones. How do they compare to the Nikon XL? How is the light transmission? What is the eye relief like?

Thanks!

Default 25x50

I have used the 25 X 50 Leupold for many years on lots of hunts in AK and in the lower 48. The scope is lightweight, very clear and very reliable. There have been times I wished for a higher power and I will likely buy a variable power spotting scope (15 X 45 power) in the future.

Default leupold

If you are using it for sheep, don't get the fixed power. I bought the 25 and sold it as soon as I got back from the hunt. There are the times when it is cool and the heat waves aren't too bad where you will wish for more power. Get something in the 15-45 power range.

Check the eye releif. I just sold my Burris Spotter 18-45x60. Same as the Nikon XL or Bushnell Elite. I sold it because of the short eye releif. I have sort of an over hanging brow and could not keep from bumping the scope. At higher power it was an issue. Other than that it was a great scope as are the Nikons and Bushnells. Decent glass, light weight, etc. Just poor eye releif for me. May not be an issue for you or others.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I have the Nikon and am not happy with the eye relief or the clarity of the glass not to mention the poor low light visibility. I know you get what you pay for. But its hard to justify spending over $500 with my wife when I only use it a couple of times a year.

Default Leupold 25 X 50

I own the 25X50 and have used this scope on 15 plus hunts over the years. Itís light, compact, and durable. The only complaint is the lack of adjustable power. Itís been a great scope, but I will most like bite the bullet this year and purchase a Swarovski. If I do and you would like to pick up a used one, watch the Swap & Sell.

Thanks Jim drop me a line if you decide to sell.