Thread: Nelchina, Unit 13 Tier 1 hunt

Default Nelchina, Unit 13 Tier 1 hunt

Howdy hunters, My first time on here. Ive been in AK almost 2 years now, and lucky enuff this year to get a Caribou Permit for Unit 13 Tier 1. I'm looking for info. on the Caribou movement off of Denali Hwy since the Aug. 10 opener. Anybody out there with any info until I get there myself in the nest week or so?

Quote Originally Posted by 742Slayer View Post
    Howdy hunters, My first time on here. Ive been in AK almost 2 years now, and lucky enuff this year to get a Caribou Permit for Unit 13 Tier 1. I'm looking for info. on the Caribou movement off of Denali Hwy since the Aug. 10 opener. Anybody out there with any info until I get there myself in the nest week or so?
    I have seen that herd broken up all over that area evry time I have been there. If the bugs are bad look for them in the wind. If it is hot look for them on the snow from old slide areas.

Lucky you...I have lived in unit 13 for 25 years now and didn't get a permit...There is No Ahtna Land west of mile 176 of the Glenn Hiway so you can hunt from Chickaloon to mile 176, Nelchina, Mendeltna, and Eureka as well as Lake Louise area...
    Rich

went up there over the weekend for opening day We go in on the butte creek trail our grop got 2 Got some birds all so did some fishing in butte creek got some nice grayling drank some beer Had a very good time The first Bou we saw was about 7 mi in we had 5 days so we could take our time and pick the ones we like some where up high some where low all in all it was a good hunt

Go late in the season......like after October 21st thru the Mar 31st time frame. Much easier hunt and a less pressure. Be prepared for bad weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    Go late in the season......like after October 21st thru the Mar 31st time frame. Much easier hunt and a less pressure. Be prepared for bad weather.
    The only potential problem with that is that they haven't opened the winter season in some recent seasons. They didn't give away many permits this year, so hopefully that won't happen, but it would be unfortunate to not be able to hunt due to the hunt being closed.