Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Brooks Range Sheep

Default 2009 Brooks Range Sheep

Just got back from the Brooks where we had another successful hunt. Two rams on the first two days of the season including a massive 12 year old ram that just missed the B&C minimum of 170!! Pics to follow when I get home and caught up. Good luck to those who are still waiting to head out.

Thumbs up

Congrats on a successful hunt! Look forward to seeing some pics of that bruiser and hearing more of the story.

Congrats F, well done yet again!

Default wow

Congrats to you and can't wait to see the monster!!!!!!!!!

Talking Congrats from Afghanistan!

That is AWESOME!!! Cant wait to see pics, hope a story is on its way also! Was up there late last season, beatiful area, lots of ewes, lambs, and people where we were. Had a blast regardless and learned alot. I can't wait till next season, I'll finally be back in Ak for good with the much needed time to devote to sheep hunting. It's my new numero uno!

Default PICS are up!!!

Thanks for the kind words guys. We had another great hunt in the Brooks this year. I killed this nice double broomed ram on the afternoon of the 10th. He is my smallest ram, but had a lot of character and was the lead ram of his group. The rams in this area tend to have a lot of mineral stains and rubs in their hair. I like it, but you will never get a snow white cape from these sheep. Based on his horns and behavior he seemed to be a scrapper. He fell to one shot from a Model 70 6.5x55 Mauser with a 120 grain Sierra Gameking.

Back in camp in front of my Hilleberg:

A nice meat rack:

While I was working on my cape on the 11th, my hunting partner went out and shot this magnificent 12 year old ram that rough, green scored nearly 167 B&C points. He will probably be one of the largest rams killed in Alaska this year and is notable for his mass and character. His horn diameter at the first and second quarters is greater than the bases of many legal rams and his eye socket width is nearly an inch greater than my 2009 ram.

This ram was killed with a Model 70 7mm-08 and 140 grain Core-Lokt ammo. We had a mix of weather including a couple of days of snow and mid to low 20s at night. That cold weather really helped with the meat. All in all it was another wonderful sheep hunt, but I am sad to be done sheep hunting so early and have to wait for a year to do it again.

As far as gear goes I had a new pair of Scarpa Manta boots that worked really well for me. They are not Gore Tex lined, but are comfortable, light and seem tough enough to last several seasons. The Hilleberg Nallo 2 GT continues to be outstanding as does my Western Mountaineering Alpinelite sleeping bag. We used TAG bags this year and I can't say enough good about them. After coming down from the mountain I pulled the meat out of the TAG bags, hung it and washed the bags. All the blood came out, the bags dried very quickly and I had clean, dry bags to put back on the quarters after the meat crusted over. TAG bags are very light and well worth the money. My Mt Hardwear Compressor jacket continues to shine and every iteration of Marmot Precip raingear seems to be better than the last. My old Dana Designs external frame pack is getting tired and it may finally be time to upgrade to a Barney's pack.

Time to get ready for moose in two weeks!!

A nice shot of the massive head carried by the ram my partner killed.

Default Nice

Looks like another good hunt for you. Too bad we couldn't meet up in FBKs so I could hear the whole story. Congrats on the fine animals. Good luck on the Moose hunt!

Quote Originally Posted by bairdi View Post
    Looks like another good hunt for you. Too bad we couldn't meet up in FBKs so I could hear the whole story. Congrats on the fine animals. Good luck on the Moose hunt!
    Thanks buddy! I must have just missed you up there. Sure was good to get out of the rain, smoke, and fog in FBKS.

congratulations! sheep are certainly hard-won trophies, and there is much to be proud of with both of those sheep. thanks for the gear update also. i have been considering those tag bags for a while, but have yet to try any. congratulations again, and thanks for sharing the pictures.

Fantastic!! My buddy and I made our first trek into the Brooks this year but didn't see any shooters. That looks like a dream ram there. Congrats and I know what you mean about having to wait another year... I won't be able to sheep hunt again this year but like you... on to moose!! Oh, and yes, those Hilleberg tents are wonders...

Nice pics and great rams! Thanks for sharing with us.

Default Very nice!

Congrats on the two rams! Lots of character in those two rams!

Congratulations on another ram! Your buddy's ram is the stuff dreams are made of. Thanks for posting the photos.

Chisana, we need to see that other pic of the sheep again...its a red x now!

Thanks for the compliments guys. Looks like the pic is back up. Sure was a fun hunt. This was the first time out sheep hunting for my buddy Dan who killed that big guy. He is hooked for life. I told him he will have to work pretty hard and be very lucky to get a shot at another ram as nice as this one.

Default size?

What do the bases measure on that monster? Looks like you guys had a great trip.

Congrats Forrest! Great sheep, great write up and be sure to tell Dan congrats for me also. I figure you both using mdl. 70's is a good omen for my upcoming hunt as I put together a pre-64 mdl. 70 in .270.

Dave

Default Nice sheep

Forrest those are nice sheep, good job and I will get in touch to come over and share stories.

Thanks for the pics and the hunt report. I have the big bro to your tent the Nallo GT3. Used it on my dad's goat hunt and it rocked our socks off in the pouring rain. Thanks again for the trips and look forward to hearing about your hunt next year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast