Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 19' Grumman vs 15' grumman sportboat

Default 19' Grumman vs 15' grumman sportboat

Any opinions on the differences between the 15 footer and the 19 footer? I realize they are alot different but just wondering if anyone has specific info as to performance, load capacity etc.

Default stability

I had been a passenger in a 19' a few times and hauled a good load, but when I went to buy one from a guy he said he is selling because he only uses his sport boat instead. I looked at both of them and decided I would try to hunt down a sport boat. I found one and used it to haul two guys, packs, and a full moose 3 miles around a lake back to camp. It rides nice on top of my river boat and I can stand in one without feeling I'm going to get wet.

I grew up in a sportboat. From the time I was an infant til my late teens we had a sportboat that the whole family would use for 1-2 week long trips in. Mom,Dad, 2 kids, and a german shorthair and 1 -2 weeks of camp,clothes,gear and food. It was increbile what that boat would haul, and how stable they are. They were only only rate for a 6hp max but Dad always ran a 10hp on them. Even ran a 15 once and that thing flew with the 15. The 19 canoe is a nice boat too, just not nearly as stable as the sportboat.

Default 19' = 15' ???

never been in a 15' but have used a 19' alot, there is a differance in cost, 19' being more, always through the 19' was better because we run them standing up on the small rivers / stream's . when I have seen the 15' on the rivers the piolt was allway's siting down, so I don't know open for inputs
    SID

Sid,
    The grumman sportboat, or sport canoe is 15'6" in length so yes it gives up a little lentgth to th 19 obviously. However, the sportboat is best desriceb as a pregnant canoe. It looks like one at first glance. However, they are about 42'' across the beam in the middle and about 32" across the transom. This makes them extremely stable, and yes, more expensive than the 19 footer last time I priced them. You seldom find a used one for sale as I have never met anyone that has owned one, that did not love them. If I am not mistaken, the coast guard data plate on them, the lil sport boat is also rated at over 1000lbs capacity, larger than the 19 as well. They both have their place in life. The sportboat is a pig to try to paddle. As a matter of fact, they come with oarlocks on them from grumman because of this. I never tried to row it so I can't tell you how that would go. If I were to paddle much rather than using an outboard, the 19 is the winner hands down. If running a motor, give me the sportboat.

Default sport boat info

This is just the kind of feed back I was looking for. Thank you all.

Default i own a sport boat

I have a sport boat for sale it is a wonderful craft and can haul a bundle, data plate says either 1100 or 1200 lbs or 5 people, sharp crafty rig, in fact pete weaver is building me a new lift, I run a 9 1/2 evinrude sporttwin, the boat and motor was built in 1972. I hauled 3 adults and a moose with no issues and I always stand up when i run it, very stable light all around craft

I had a Sp Bt for 15 plus years & spent some time in the 19'. The Sport Boat is more of a small skiff planes well & is fast. Very stable for its size had my lab launch himself from the side many times after ducks. The 19' is a better cargo displacment style hull the Sport boat is easier to use by yourself and makes a more portable car topper boat. Both have there pluses & minuses, I thought usefull load in the Sport Boat was around
    750 # but mine did not have a data plate.

Default 15 hp

Just bought a 15 hp ss to put on the back of the sport boat. Hold onto your shorts! Its an older Evinrude and I swear it weighs slightly more than the 4hp 4 stroke I have. WOT you better have some serious weight in the bow, but it runs sweet. Might have to put a lift on the back.

Default sport boat

now you are talking also get a tiller extension, long, not short, an I think that
    the one that don't flex is the best

SID

Dirty little town near the end of the road

Did you know the sport boat is essentially a shortened 19 foot square stern..
    I have a old 17 foot square stern I am considering shortening up, when done it would be reasonably light and ez to get on & off the roof rack.
    “There is no wealth but life.” John Ruskin

ooops. I see the newer sport boats are 3" wider than the sq. stern, also the 15 SB is rated for half the capacity of the 19?

I believe the old ones were the same width, dont know about cap.

Default extension

Sid, I agree. If I was running by myself, I would want to be further forward and still have the fuel tank and gear in the bow. Maybe have a old plastic milk crate to sit on in front of the back seat.
    I just have a serious problem with not buying any older Evinrude/Johnson that has been taken care of and runs like a top. I do believe that admitting my problem is the first step though. Glad thats over with.

You will love that setup! We usually ran our boat with alot of weight in it so it was not much of a problem with bowlift. On the rare occasions that we would run it solo or just a kid in the boat, we always threw about 200 lbs of rocks in the nose of the boat to help keep it from getting squirrely on us. Enjoy your sportboat!

Default running a canoe

you will find it is best to stand up to run in rivers an small streams, this will let you see what is up front, an coming at you, if you are setting down you can't see much an by the time you see it , that will be to late, tiller extenation in one hand an lift handle in the other, standing you can see what is going on in front an miss all the stuff that you should not be near from floating logs to sand bars, in lakes it will not matter but on rivers it will help an the smaller the river the more it will help [streams] my 2 cts

SID

Default Load capacity of Sportboat?

Is the load capacity of the Sportboat really the same as the 1100 lbs of the 19' square stern? My creaky memory is that the Sportboat load capacity is quite a bit less and the comment above that mentions 750 lbs sounds more likely to me.

Quote Originally Posted by foamsfollower View Post
    Is the load capacity of the Sportboat really the same as the 1100 lbs of the 19' square stern? My creaky memory is that the Sportboat load capacity is quite a bit less and the comment above that mentions 750 lbs sounds more likely to me.
    New ones are less than half, 450 pounds, maybe the older ones were more?

http://www.marathonboat.com/square-15.asp

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    New ones are less than half, 450 pounds, maybe the older ones were more?

http://www.marathonboat.com/square-15.asp
    Yes, the older ones that we had were rated at either 1060 or 1080. I can't remember which. Mute point as that is splitting hairs really. The older ones were also rated at 6 hp max but most ran 10's on them and even some 15's. I have not been around one that has been built in the last 15 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    Yes, the older ones that we had were rated at either 1060 or 1080. I can't remember which. Mute point as that is splitting hairs really. The older ones were also rated at 6 hp max but most ran 10's on them and even some 15's. I have not been around one that has been built in the last 15 years or so.

Interesting, I wonder what the reason is behind that. I doubt they have changed very much?

Default Grumman Sport boat specs

These specs were pulled from sunshine sports

specifications:
    Aluminum Sport Boat Specs
    Length: 15’ 3”
    Width: 43''
    Center Depth: 14"
    Weight: 112 lbs.
    Weight Capacity lbs/Persons: 455 / 360
    Max HP: 7
    Ribs: 10
    Keel: Bulb T features:
    Very Stable Design
    Built In Floatation
    Spray Rails
    Aluminum Construction
    Heavy Duty Transom Assembly

I just checked out the Marathon (new Grumman) web page also and you can buy either a sport boat or their 19 foot square stern and have it shipped directly to Alaska. They claimed that they deal directly with Alaskan customers. There is also two dealers in Washinton. I'm not sure what kind of price tag they'd have then........but the thickness of these boats is .050". It's a little thinner than what they used to be made of but they are using a sealant on the rivets so they should still be a pretty tough boat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast