Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pegging or Lining? Help!

Default Pegging or Lining? Help!

Okay, I am a newbie to flyfishing and am still getting the hang of all this, but here's one question that I can't seem to get a straight answer out of anyone on:

Per the regs, at Quartz Creek, is pegging legal?

I have had a couple different opinions given to me on this, but the way I read the regs, if the bead is within 2 inches of the hook, then it's legal to peg. Any other distance further away from the hook, it must be free-sliding.

Any input on this? I know there was a thread about this, but for the life of me, I can't find it.

Also, I know people (illegally??) peg the bead at about 4-6 inches, but at that point, isn't it lining, er, rather, simply pulling the hook to near the mouth, not technically legally hooking it?

Thanks so much for the answers. Also, please share (if you're comfortable) what you've used successfully at Quartz. I have my mottled red 8mm beads, but seemed to do better with the apricot 8 mm.

Thanks!
    Kristie
    ~ Kristie~
    The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

You may peg the bead within 2 inches of your hook if you wish (in non fly fishing only waters), any more is illegal. You may not fish beads in fly fishing only water (the russian till august 20) unless they are attached to the hook.

Hope this helps
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Personally I have much better luck using a smaller bead (6mm) on Quartz. You need something that very closely resembles a fresh sockeye egg. You only need to go about an inch and a half above the hook. Any further will result in alot of foul hooked fish. Pinching down the barb will also make life much easier. You really don't lose that many more fish and it saves alot of wear and tear on those dollies.

Default Out of the ordinary?

I'm in agreement with the other posters on this. In fly-fishing only waters, beads are illegal unless they are attached to the hook as in a traditional hand tied imitation of some sort. In Quartz Creek, and I believe all other flowing waters on the Kenai peninsula (certainly in the Kenai River drainage) the beads must be pegged within 2 inches of the hook or left to slide freely on the leader. I am also and advocate of pinching barbs and I don't like to use anything larger than a size 10 hook.

I fished Quartz a few nights ago, and had little luck with any of several different smaller beads I tried. I fished for about an hour and a half, and finally landed one 16 incher on a large (I think it was a 10mm) bright red bead. I just decided to try something out of the ordinary since nothing else was working. I only had one and I broke-it-off in a red on the next cast. Doh!

Thanks for the replies, guys. I appreciate it. I had some luck with the 8mm apricot on Weds. night, but not until I got the drift of it just right in one area. Picky little things!!

I am heading out right now to give it a shot again...I'll post if I'm successful.
    Last edited by AKFishinGirl; 08-15-2009 at 14:18. Reason: spelling
    ~ Kristie~
    The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

try 6 mm beads, helps a lot for me in quartz

Okay...I have one more question for ya'll.

THis is one of fish envy! LOL

I have a friend who told me what he uses for a set up and while I recognize that what he uses is totally illegal, he is able to catch so many stinkin' fish!

He went today, the same time we (hubby and I) were fishing (legally, I might add) elsewhere on the creek, and he caught 40+ dollies and trout while we caught none. We used the same color bead as him, but he pegs his up at about 8 inches....

How does that work? (Remember, I'm a newbie) How does having the bead up higher lead to more fish?
    ~ Kristie~

I'm no pro when it comes to beads, but I would guess most of the fish he was catching were snagged, most likely on the the side and belly. Hardly could feel good about that. Keep doing it the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by RandallT View Post
    I'm no pro when it comes to beads, but I would guess most of the fish he was catching were snagged, most likely on the the side and belly. Hardly could feel good about that. Keep doing it the right way.

I totally agree with Randall. Fish Karma will bite him in the butt. Take care of those fishes as they are a precious resource. Your time will come. I fish the upper kenai and quartz alot and always peg my bead just about 2 inches above. Somedays your the windshield some days your the bug. Keep doing it right.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

You might be getting more strikes than you realize, but the fish are spitting it back out before you notice. If you can, shorten the distance between strike indicator and fly/weight, as long as it doesn't affect your drift. It might help you detect those light hits.

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishinGirl View Post
    How does that work? (Remember, I'm a newbie) How does having the bead up higher lead to more fish?
    Pretty simple, actually.

Real eggs don't have fishhooks near them.

Before the 2" law, pegging 6"-10" was common, using a slip-peg. The problem with this system has been pointed out already - many fish are hooked in the opercles and eyes, especially when fishing "blind".

Here are a few bead tips for fussy fish-

Use fluorocarbon, the lighter the better.

Try to "match the hatch" as close as possible. If the bulk of the fish haven't spawned yet, use fresh colors. If spawning is occurring, use fertilized colors. If the spawn has passed, use dead or shocked colors.

For hooks, the smaller and finer is better. You will lose a few fish and have a few hooks bend out while you figure out how much pressure you can apply, but you will hook an order of magnitude more fish.

Peg with clear pegs.

If you are sight-fishing, fish long leader and tippet sections, and try not to use an indicator.

If you are indicator fishing, make sure you are lining up your drift with the indicator set downstream...and use a neutral colored indicator.

The rest is personal experience, as well as trial-and-error. Don't be afraid to do something you might consider whacky or silly - sometimes the best tricks come when all the "rules" are broken.

Excellent post smolt. Great info.

Thanks for the help again, guys. I genuinely appreciate it! Really great info you've supplied me with.

Kristie
    ~ Kristie~

What about dabbing the fly (keeping you line above the water) in situations that you are able? I am just wondering if this could help your hook-up percentage.

the best trick is to get on the water first, even if it means getting up at 4 am, fish that have been caught a few days that day aren't gonna hit again.

Quote Originally Posted by Caddfly View Post
    You might be getting more strikes than you realize, but the fish are spitting it back out before you notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottsum View Post
    I am also an advocate of pinching barbs

Quote Originally Posted by G_Smolt View Post
    Use fluorocarbon, the lighter the better.

Try to "match the hatch" as close as possible.

Don't be afraid to do something you might consider whacky or silly - sometimes the best tricks come when all the "rules" are broken.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    the best trick is to get on the water first.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Take care of those fishes as they are a precious resource. Some days your the windshield some days your the bug. Keep doing it right.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Danattherock is a fly fishing legend!!!
    OK, I made this last one up, but it sounded good.

Some of the best advice I have read (and fabricated)

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Food for thought

If you choose to use a nail knot, be careful. The regs state that a bead must be fixed within two inches of the hook or free sliding on the entire length of the line or leader. When you use a nail knot, the bead only slides down to the nail knot and not the entire length of the line or leader.

Yea that reg is weird, I think I'm gonna put in a BOF thing to get it changed to something like free sliding on the entire length of tippet. You could say that the tippet is the leader maybe? The bottom line is they want the bead to be within 2 inches of the hook and if its not pegged to slide all the way to the hook. Earlier the wording allowed folks to tie a knot 8 inches up and have the bead slide to that, but now you could probably be fined for having a free floating bead that only floats on your tippet if you had some idiot trooper who didn't understand the reg. But when you think about it the leader is just an extension of the fly line and the tippet is the leader, especially when compared to gear fishing where you can put a leader on the main line... I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket if the bead touches the hook, of course I'm the only one I know who doesn't constantly fuss with pegging beads, so who knows... If I get a ticket for not pegging beads I'll be pretty upset.

Dan,
    You crack me up!
    ~ Kristie~

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishinGirl View Post
    Dan,
    You crack me up!

Dan is a legend in his own mind. so if your out and about during fishaplooza, come by camp and say hi to dan and a bunch of us from the forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast