Thread: Dillingham?

Default Dillingham?

I'm heading out to Dillingham in a couple of days. If I get a couple of hours to explore the area, is there anything that I should check out?
    Is there a good spot for dinner?
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Eat at the Muddy Rudder. Diner type of place, but good food and ample amounts for fair prices (by Dilly standards). Good breakfast joint and lunch place if nothing else. Not many places to eat in town. I only spent a few days there, but did not see many places to eat. You can drive north of town to a lake if you have a rental car. Maybe 30 minutes or so if I recall. Can't remember the name, but we drove up there and checked it out. A big boat landing is where the road ends at the lake. Anyone in Dillingham could tell you where it is. There are a few smaller ponds (10-20 acre) on the way up and I would drop a line in there if you find time to fish a bit.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Thanks, Dan. It sounds like the Rudder may take it's turn.

Where will you be staying in DLG? There is a new (new owner) restaraunt just out of town toward the Alegnagek (sp) Road which is the road to the lake described earlier If you do have access to a vehicle take the drive. There is a Chapanese Rest. at the airport but never can count on them being open. Just across from the Wellsfargo Bank is the Museum/library, visit if you don't have a vehicle if you are staying down town. Head down to the docks just before high tide and watch for seals and beluga's. Have a good time and if there is anything going on at the school check it out.

George

Thanks, George. I will not have a vehicle while out there. I'm not sure where I'm staying yet, one of the B&B's.

I'll spend whatever time that's available checking out the area (and maybe get some napping in).

[QUOTE=Phish Finder;554663]Thanks, George. I will not have a vehicle while out there. I'm not sure where I'm staying yet, one of the B&B's.

I'll spend whatever time that's available checking out the area (and maybe get some napping in).[/QUOTE]

Good Idea!!!! Rest up for FISHAPALOOZA!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post

Good Idea!!!! Rest up for FISHAPALOOZA!!!!
    I'll be resting for a week of fishing, but it won't be fishapalooza

Default Muddy Rudder

You must eat at the muddy Rudder.

Default Check out the Samuel K. Fox museum

You'll see some of my masks and carvings.

Take a drive up Snake (Nanvaugluk) Lake road and fish for dollies where the reds are spawning.

I'll definately try to hit the museum up and see some of your masks. That's the kind of stuff that I want to do

Default Pizza...

place by the harbor area, recommended to us. Red metal roof.

Last week, it appeared much of town closed after the sockeye season.
    We ended up eating all in-town meals at the Muddy Rudder. It was close by and always good. I took the special most everytime and no regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    I'm heading out to Dillingham in a couple of days. If I get a couple of hours to explore the area, is there anything that I should check out?
    Is there a good spot for dinner?
    Good to hear you're coming to town. The Muddy Rudder is a great place, but my wife and I like the Windmill Grill (corner of Wood River Rd. & Kanakanak rd.) as well. The owner is from NC and he serves "sweeet" tea. I second the notion that you should visit the Sam Fox museum. Other than that, there's not a lot to do in DLG, which is the way I like it. You could take a drive up to Aleknagik, it's about 20 miles from downtown, but there's not much to do except to look at the beauty as you drive. Snake lake is also a wonderful area and Snake Lake Mtn is a very beautiful hike and pretty easy too.

If you would like, you can PM me and I'll give you my telephone number in case you need any help while you're in town. Let me know. Hope you have a great trip.

Rob