Thread: Things that work: Titanium Goat

Default Things that work: Titanium Goat

The Titanium Goat Vertex 8 is one of a series of tipi-style floorless tents made with silnylon available with a lightweight box stove for heating. After a 9-day float out of Dillingham, I was very pleased with the performance of this tent/stove combo, and would expect similar performance from Kifaru's similar tent. The catch is the price, but averaged out over 5 or 10 seasons, and useful for outings from May to November or so, it could turn out to be a good value after all.

Both Kifaru and TiGoat models got favorable reviews by others. TiGoat was lighter and slightly less expensive for the package; http://www.titaniumgoat.com/vertex8.html. Specs: 8 lbs or so with small box stove (2.5#) providing approx 15 x 18ft floorless footprint.

Performance: On our float, without the stove, we slept four (with tarp floor liner) the first night. Increasing winds (est 15mph) turned northerly overnight, bringing nasty blowing rain directly onto our campsite on south shore of the spit and deteriorating after we packed camp and began our float with gusts to 20-25, perhaps 30 mph. Downstream, we found wind-sheltered campsite and pitched the TiGoat with stove during the worst of it to warm up and dry our gear. The aluminum center pole is sturdy and we had trees/willows for guy lines. Slack fabric caused some flapping. Otherwise, the tipi bucked the wind well. The following days brought better weather and the tipi was more a convenience (and shelter from bugs), but sure was good to have after that first float day's storm.

Quirks/conclusions: Terrific performance, but fairly high initial cost. Depends how many outings/seasons you expect foul weather to matter. Cost is more than 3 times the cost of the excellent $300 (or less)-range tarps discussed in this thread. But at approx 9# for tipi/stove/pole/pegs, you gain heat and protection from wind-blown rain plus bugs.

Pitching this tipi well took practice due to its bias-cut (sil-nylon) fabric. Following the included directions helped. We found mesh bags full of river rock a handy way of tuning the 20 peg sites for best shape. Spike type pegs worked well on gravel bars and were less likely to slice the tent's peg loops. Two 1-inch slices of Duraflame log could make the interior too warm. The spark arrester screen clogged with soot from our Duraflame logs, but once removed, (fire risk was low our whole trip), we had no further issues. In warm weather, ventilation requires lifting the tail of the tent which was effective, but let the bugs in. It is also important to seal the seams.

Overall, we liked the Titanium Goat Vertex 8 tipi for the job of a heated wind/blowing rain shelter, plus added bug shelter. It was an effective solution for the conditions we faced and was appreciated by the family - especially my brother from Wilmington, NC.

Thanks for the detailed info on the Goat. Makes me want one
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Leech,

Good report!

I've had the 12 man Kifaru for nearly a decade and love it......expensive?.....yes but we already have it amortized down to a hyndred bucks a year and it is still like new......I have a collapsible stove that I don't use because of inefficiencies and the lack of fire wood at our high moose camp. I switched to a titanium box stove after one season and love it with the 3-4 hour burn.....tipi, stove & stove pipe still gets me under twenty pounds for super cub flights......

The 12 man is just right for we four geezers.....each has a chair beside his sleeping area....sure makes a comfortable camp.

Default Worth their weight for sure...

definitely. The long-term value is what I'm hoping for and the ten years you've got from your Kifaru (and camping in comfort too ) is good to hear!

Kifarus or TiGoats, for their relatively small weight and cargo space (for float type trips at least), it's easy to imagine getting a lot of use out of this tent each year. Great tents.