Thread: UHMW Hull

Default UHMW Hull

Does anyone have any experience with UHMW Bottoms? What I really want to say is The river I run on has mostly round rocks that are only covered with 1 or 2 inches of water! Do you guys run your boats with the UHMW bottoms over this type of shallow water or do you just not attempt it!? Just how extreme can you go with this stuff? I'm looking at either snyder boats or Rockproof Boats here in PA with the UHMW bottoms but I don't know if these will even do the job! More than likely with a 200 Merc. Sport Jet

Thanks...Brian

Default too shallow

I have an alicraft 20' boat with a 240 merc s.j. there is 3/4 " uhmw on the whole bottom then another 3/4" x 18" wide down the keel. I also installed an 8" wide piece on the sides the length of the boat. I slide over rocks and logs in the shallow river I run in Dolores,Co. I can go through 2"-4"
    of water at speed in short sections however I could not stop,slow down or start up at that depth of water.thats just my experience which is limited hope that helped, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by youghguide View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with UHMW Bottoms? What I really want to say is The river I run on has mostly round rocks that are only covered with 1 or 2 inches of water! Do you guys run your boats with the UHMW bottoms over this type of shallow water or do you just not attempt it!? Just how extreme can you go with this stuff? I'm looking at either snyder boats or Rockproof Boats here in PA with the UHMW bottoms but I don't know if these will even do the job! More than likely with a 200 Merc. Sport Jet

Thanks...Brian
    What river are you running there? Are you throwing out a pitch for these boats?

more important than the UH is the structure underneath....the plastic will take abuse, thin aluminum will not....how thick is the bottom on the boats you're looking at?....UH won't turn a light weight boat into a rock basher...

big factor is how heavy your boat is, how much junk is in it, how fast, etc....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

For the type of water your talking about, you need to get into a whole different type of boat.
    Hulls like the Outlaw Tuchodi http://www.outlaweagle.com/outlaw_6.html, Thunderjet Bull Dog and similar boats are built for that sort of stuff. 3/8 and 1/2" Aluminum bottoms plus UHMW, serious structure in the hull. These boats will take that kind of abuse.
    The forum at Outlaw has some great video clips of the kind of water these guys run.
    Those RockProof boats are just glorified jon boats, not in the same league at all.
    These new breed of small, super durable jet boats have changed the way we can run rivers. I'd love to try one But even though they are super burly, at some point a guy is going to reach their limit, and then their will be some serious damage.
    Speaking of the TJ Bulldog, i was working yesterday and saw an Avalanche pulling a brand new BD drive by. Cool looking boat. What struck me were the super high sides. Love to see it run.

[QUOTE=Hoyt;554870]What river are you running there?
    Are you throwing out a pitch for these boats?

Youghiogheny River (Yock-o-gay-nee) What do you mean by this? whats throwing out a pitch mean?

Brian

The Snyder boats are 3/16 in. hull thickness and Rockproof Boats are .125

Here are a few East Coast fishing sites that have a wealth of info about Snyder/RockProof/James River Jets UHMW crafts. In particular, search a fellow who goes by the handle of OBJet_PA. He fishes the Yough on a regular basis.

midatlanticsmallies
    riversmallies
    easternpafishingreports

Kevin, Where are you from? People frm AK don't refer to the river as "The Yough" LOL! where is ob-jet from?

BRIAN