Thread: How will the flood affect Kenai river fishing?

Default How will the flood affect Kenai river fishing?

We will be fishing the middle Kenai river by boat from Tuesday 8/18 through 8/27 and I just found out that there is a flood advisory due to some glacier related issue above Skilak Lake! Our house is only a few miles downriver near the Kenai Keys area and I am wondering what this will do to the Coho fishing.

It sounds like the run has been coming along nicely and we should hit pretty close to the peak but now I am afraid that fishing is going to be much more difficult than anticipated.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated in regards to plans or strategies that we may want to change. This will be my first trip and I really want to do everything I can to make it a successful one.

Silvers like rain, so maybe they like high water. Give it a try and find out. Just wach for debris.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Any idea how long the water rise might last? It is my understanding that a glacial outburst flood dissipates pretty quickly allowing the river to return to normal. I hope anyway! would imagine that with the river running so hard fishing is pretty tough.

It looks like it's expevted to crest tomorrow and start dropping quicky.
    Should be good next week.

http://aprfc.arh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydr...,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

The Kenai fishing will be horrible. It's ruined forever.

Make sure you tell all your friends that all the fish have left the Kenai and will be headed to Ship Creek for the next 5 years.

><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Here is the water level gauge at the Keys as well as the current prediction as to when it will peak.

http://aprfc.arh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydr...,9,15,6&type=0

Jim
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I just got off the river its high and running hard so be careful were you anchor your boat it might not hole in the usual places and stick. If that happens cut your rope off as low in the water as you can. It sucks losing an anchor but ***** happens.

Quote Originally Posted by fishook View Post
    I just got off the river its high and running hard so be careful were you anchor your boat it might not hole in the usual places and stick. If that happens cut your rope off as low in the water as you can. It sucks losing an anchor but ***** happens.

What sucks is when you dont see your line is rotted out. go to pull anchor at the start of an all day float. Whoa, that come up way to easy. yeppers nothing. Not a big deal for me in the cat as I dont anchor much. Im usually pulled over on the bars but for a drift boat guy it will suck. Had a buddy lose one a few years ago. We mooched a burlap sack off of someone. Filled it with rocks, tied it off and to the line. It was not pretty but it worked
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    The Kenai fishing will be horrible. It's ruined forever.

Make sure you tell all your friends that all the fish have left the Kenai and will be headed to Ship Creek for the next 5 years.

Thanks for the advice, I went ahead and canceled our trip!!!

I keep trying that technique but it hasn't worked yet. The folks still show up (and still catch those beautiful Kenai Bows).

When you get up here, make a post that the Seward Highway is closed from Girdwood to Hope for the next week for road maintenance. That should help the crowds a little bit
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Sounds like the water may run even higher than originally thought and I have been told that there is a chance that 'they' could close the river to boats all together, UGH!!!

Are silvers even catchable when the water is at flood stage? I am trying to figure out if we need to search for a different river to fish until the water goes down.

No need to find a different river, just move upstream.
    The levels are fine above Skilak Lake.
    And should stay that way unless it pours in Seward.

http://aprfc.arh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydr...,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

Plus ther's the Kasilof, Anchor and Deep Creek further down the peninsula.
    Not to mention Seward, Whitier and Homer.
    You'll be fine just chill and go with the flow.

Problem is we don't have a drift boat, just a power boat. Have the silvers made it up past the lake yet?

Fished the middle river with three clients today and did reasonably well for trout. Nothing huge, but some respectable fish. Plenty of silvers in the river just gotta fish them a little tighter to the bank right now. Gotta remember that with this much water coming down right now, all those fish are gonna get out of the fast water and hide in tight to the bank out of the heat. Go throw spinners for silvers up near the lake early in the a.m. You'll get em.

Quote Originally Posted by Bentbranch View Post
    Fished the middle river with three clients today and did reasonably well for trout. Nothing huge, but some respectable fish. Plenty of silvers in the river just gotta fish them a little tighter to the bank right now. Gotta remember that with this much water coming down right now, all those fish are gonna get out of the fast water and hide in tight to the bank out of the heat. Go throw spinners for silvers up near the lake early in the a.m. You'll get em.

Congrats on the successful trip and thanks so much for the advice. We will be up there this evening, hope that water stops rising soon!

Went to Kenai Saturday. Limited out on silvers in 2 hours. Had to hang around and drink beer till next day. Sunday was hard fishing, the water had risen considerably and it was flowing fast. Still managed to get our limits, just took longer. Vacuum sealed 39.5 of silver fillets. Jordan took home 20 buck from myself and his dad. First fish and biggest fish. Schooled me the first day, caught his limited before we did.
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

Went out on Saturday near Eagle Rock. 3 silvers in 5 min., nothing after. Water was up 1 foot from Friday, but not mudy. Just no luck.

I couldn't believe how much the water had risen from about 9 pm Sat to 530 am Sunday morning. It was a hard day fishing Sun, little calming pool was just a flowing. I think it just pushed them up stream. Or we caught them all Sat

He is pic of one of the last fish he got Sat along with my 5 bucks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.