Thread: Diesel fuel for winter storage?

Default Diesel fuel for winter storage?

Since this is the first year I have had a diesel boat to store, I am looking for some pointers on this. Should I run it low on fuel and then refill it with winter diesel? Is all of the winter diesel ultra low sulfer, and if not will it cause an issue with my motor (common rail injection)?

Ideally I would like to be able to run my furnace on occasion during the winter, but this is not essential. It runs off of the main tank. Does anything happen chemically to the diesel if I leave it full of summer diesel for the winter, or does it just gel and then turn to normal when it warms up? Do you need to leave some volume in the tank for this or does it stay about the same volume gelled?

Jim
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I've run my dickinson stove during the winter with no problems, somtimes takes a bit longer to get going but then it burns fine. Maybe you can run the stove fuel line into a 5 gal pail of #1 fuel for the winter, is it a gravity feed daytank or does it run off of a electric fuel pump off of the main tank. I just leave my summer fuel in the tanks all winter and don't add anything to it. I always try to run the tanks pretty low so i don't have the extra weight on the trailer for the tow home.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Your fuel will be fine in the tanks all winter, it does not go bad like gas. The fuel may gel but will go back as it warm up. If you are worried about it run a bit of 1# fuel in it when you tarp it up for the winter. The only thing i worrie about is water in an empty tank and as long as you have taken care of any separators you should be fine. I am sure there is others out here that will have some other good information to add.
    Good luck

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

You can also put an additive into the summer diesel that will keep it from gelling when it gets cold. That might be the easiest way to go if you need the fuel liquid for a heater.

Default Stanedyne

Can you put Stanadyne in a boat diesel tank, the same as with a Cummins truck diesel, or any other make? I assume you want to keep the tank topped off, or very close, to eliminate condensation? Thanks.

I ended up buying fuel antigel but not putting it in the tank. I stored for the winter with a full tank of summer diesel. So far it seems like the heater works fine down to maybe 15 degrees. I tried firing it up one time when it was zero and it went through it's startup a did not hot so I turned it off. I tried it agaia week later when it was 20 and it fired right up, so I think this matches the advice given here about it gelling and the returning to normal when it warms back up.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Default additive

I have a diesel truck and loader. I always run additives for anti-gel, water dispersing, injector cleaning, etc. I just think it makes good sense, esp if you are running something below 10-ish degrees. That is what I pick up on the diesel forums, etc. Diesel will apparently "last" 6 to 8 months, while gas goes "off" in 1 to 2... theoretically. Good luck.