Thread: what to bring from down south

Default what to bring from down south

Hello fellow waterfowlers,

I am going to be moving up to the wasilla area this october and was hoping I could get some opinions on what gear I should bring. I am from North Dakota and have spent my whole life persuing waterfowl and want to continue doing so up there. I have a 14' X 36" foot boat with a go-devil and as many decoys as most would want (both field and water sets for both ducks and geese). So I would like your opinions as to wether it is worth bringing up the boat and what should I bring for decoys? Also are spinning wing decoys legal and how many do you usually hunt with? I appreciate any help and hope to get to know some of you and hopefully make some new hunting buddies.

JOHN

John,
    First, welcome to the Forum and Alaska. I would bring your boat and as many decoys as you can carry, (you can never have too many!). Seriously, your boat would work nice in the Plamer/Wasilla area. What hp is your motor? (There is a over 20hp restriction on Duck Lake.) I have a 16x48 with a 25hp MB and even though I always have a couple dozen decoys along I don't always put them all out. Spinning decoys are ok to use. Field decoys would be nice to. I plan on having 3 weeks off in Oct for duck hunting. Let me know when you get here and we can give it a try.
    Chris

Question You lost me on this one...

Quote Originally Posted by sharps5090 View Post
    John,
    .....There is a over 20hp restriction on Duck Lake......
    I've hunted the Palmer/Wasilla Area for over 15 years, where is Duck Lake?
    Last edited by ERDucker; 08-16-2009 at 23:48. Reason: forgot word

Quote Originally Posted by ERDucker View Post
    I've hunted the Palmer/Wasilla Area for over 15 years, where is Duck Lake?
    Have you ever hunting the large body of water on the Hay flats between Rabbit Slough and the Knik River?

If you have then you have hunted Duck Lake.

Default OK

Oh, the lake above the bank, sure. Didn't realize it even has a name. I have hunted it, in fact I've taken quite a few birds later in the season down there. Have seen cranes as well as geese passing through.

We have usually hunted it from a canoe, makes for great jump shooting as the weeds are high, but the number of blinds out there make it easy to set up and wait.

From what I've seen on that end of the drainage, I believe motion is the key. There is ALOT of area for birds to land, you need to re-create the Vegas Strip for them to catch their attention.

They may not land in the dekes, but they will fall in them if you shoot straight.