Thread: TTC and sheep

Default TTC and sheep

I'd like to hear from a few people that have used TTC on sheep capes. I bought the quart jug of this and I'm curious about how much of it will be needed to properly care for the cape.

Thanks,
    Richard

Old thread -but I have the same question - how much. I am taking 2 pounds of TTC. Partner is taking 5 pounds of salt. We will leave 5 pounds of salt at the air strip. Enough? Jug says 1/5 as much as salt needed. My 2 pounds should equal 10 pounds of salt - right?

I used TTC on a fly out brown bear hunt. Taxidermist about killed me! Mainly because he works hides at his leisure and once salted they need attention. Since then done fly out goat hunts on Kodiak resulting in deer and 3 goats taken. We used no salt ever and hides were fine. Get as much fat n meat off as u can while skinning. Keep cool n dry and ur golden. Keep hide rolled up flesh to flesh to prevent it from drying up. Do the same if u salt it or TTC. Have good trash bags for flight out n transporting by commercial jet. They won't take leaky luggage. Large fish boxes came w big clear bag when I bought mine in king salmon. The two buddies goats n deer mounted awesome. I sold mine. Goats were skinned in game bags for 2-3 days in the field

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you have fleshed REALLY well, (which is not something you do unless you have a lot of time) do not use salt or TTC. If it's cool out and you plan to be out and back home within a couple days don't worry about it. I can't remember ever salting a sheep cape. But, one thing a lot of guys forget is to try and get as much blood off the cape as possible. If there is a creek nearby, soak it for awhile. When the blood's gone then open it up hair down on a rock and let it dry. Should be good to go, again, if you plan on being home real soon and can either get it to the taxi or in the freezer.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I skin stuff close so I don't have to flesh. Everything in the field longer than a day gets salt. Cheap insurance to me. If I'm doing a sheep hunt with one guy I will skip salt and lay that hide out at night to get it super cold/cool. All day it stays rolled up to stay cool. Never had s problem except for one life size I took to s big tannery in anchorage. Got tossed into their pile of warm dripping fresh hides and we lost half the hair. Sheep was shot a day and a half before I took it in and cooled every night in mid sept. Of course the tannery blames the guide....lol
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I know how to flesh and will do it right. Also will skin close. Uncle is bringing salt so we will probably mix it half and half....have find a legal one first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where can you buy ttc?

Quote Originally Posted by Ak woodsmen View Post
    Where can you buy ttc?
    I bought mine at Wiggy's. It's been a while since I was there last, so I don't know if he still sells it.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/