Thread: High Seas and your Zodiak

Default High Seas and your Zodiak

What are some big seas that people have used their Zodiak on?

"might" be headed to seward this weekend to try for silvers. I have a 15' MKIII GR with a 40 on the back...seas are calling for 3' - 15kt.....and rain...doesn't sound like a great time unless the fish are really close....unless you like rollercoasters.

Is that level of seas unsafe? This is a new to me very old boat.

Many (myself included) have been out in worse than that. If you're willing to put up with the pounding and rain, AND (most importantly) the boat is seaworthy, then I'd certainly go. Obviously you need to have the required safety equipment.

Default got it

we have all of the required safety gear and a handheld vhf and a 22' hewes that we know will be nearby...I can't imagine trolling in 3 footers in this lil boat - should be fun...hopefully it will lay down on sunday.

It's really more about how the waves are, not about their height... I've been in 6' foot rollers in my rib and was fine although nervous, but once you start having those really steep breakers, they can flip the boat if you get sideways or just flip you head over tail...
    So it all depends...
    Also in a true inflatable (not a rib), if you got a lot of weight on the back, coming over on a steep wave, the wind might push your bow up flipping you over...

Default 1977 in 16'

We took a trip up Port Wells back in 1977, was nice on the way up but 2 days later turn nasty. From Pigot Bay to Passagage Canal Decision Point we where hammered with 16 footers in the same boat you have. A large fishing boat that saw us must of called the Coast Guard because they showed up after Decision Point and wanted to take us on. Well the waves where down to 4 foot so we told them no thanks we where fine, was nice to rest in there leeward side for a bit. Scary you bet, bumpy hell ya I spend my time keeping our gear off the driver in the back. Made it thru, yes with ease. would I do it again yup

Default more

give me some more stories....

This is a 15'-5" - I don't think Zodiac made/makes a real 16footer. 16 footers would soil my britches for sure.

It looks like we will give it a go and see what she looks like when we get down there.

Smile

You've got a good boat and HP option... if the boat is in good shape... "seaworthy as one poster noted" ---

That said file a float plan with the Harbor Master and tell a few friends where your headed and plan to return. Good Idea to 'write down' on the Harbor master trip filing what you have as far as experience, #of people, safety gear, communications, who's around (like the 22' boat) and what you are wearing. These are details often not written down that show levels of competence, planning, and preparedness.

Waves and winds you described are generally not all that bad... but read as 3'-4' seas are where descriptions become quite subjective to most and begin to generate all kinds of different circumstances.

On the seas in a small skiff... Everything that matters gets strapped down!!!

Engine should be tethered or bolted on... in addition to the clamps... plus strap in the gas & gas tank.

One important driving mistake NOT to make is power hard/fast down a larger swell.

A nice piece of gear is a full recreational/sport use dry-suit.

mid 80's out of Seward going to Day harbor for goat hunt. 16 foot Bombard ( Zodiac test brand)30 hp Mariner motor.
    off cape reserection (sp) got into 10 foot confused seas. haddeled it just fine one minute it was we were in a toilet bowl and someone had flushed next we were on ridge like we were not even in the water that was way below. seemed like forever but only lasted a mile or so.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default 15 miles

We ran out and fished Fox on Saturday - it wasn't that bad at all. Report said 5 footers at times - but it was more like 3 foot - if that. The little boat is really stable - more than I thought it would be. You have to slow down or get beat up - that is the options on this thing. Not a lot of room - you really have to plan to only take what you will really use/need. I was very happy with how the boat handles and runs.

For a lot of years I ran a MkII-GR and a 15hp out of Whiskey Gulch and Deep Creek. The surf size was the limitation for getting off the beach. Once out the swells didn't matter. Surf size for beaching required good timing and teamwork but we came in in some rough water. The thing that scared me most was off of Ninilchik one day and a friend and I stayed out too long. The sea was angry from all sides and the swell was tightly spaced. We'd power up a swell face only to crest it and surf down the other side into the trough. At the bottom the boat was still coming down one side and already climbing the next, and it was folding at the transition. We had to stop and check pressure thinking the boat was soft, and sadly it was in the top of the green on the gage. That was a slow, wet, and very uncomfortable trip in.

Default me too

Coming in on Saturday evening to the docks the water was pretty rough. I stopped to check pressure as it felt like the little boat would fold in half (kinda) - I thought the keel had lost air - it was just past green....

When we were BS'ing with the friends in the 22' hewes they said it felt like they were dragging two 5 gallon buckets - - it was just the way water was.

I have a repair question - if anyone could help in this thread that would be great....

The oar "holders" are coming partially off - how do I remove them for re-gluing? I have the correct glue from AKR&C - but not sure how to peel off the old ones....

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    The oar "holders" are coming partially off - how do I remove them for re-gluing? I have the correct glue from AKR&C - but not sure how to peel off the old ones....
    Heat them with a hair dryer or a heat gun (don't overdo it...)

Default thanks -

I did just find it on the www - not really much out there on Zodiac's....

google up Clavey River Equipment and you can find some info on repairs there.

Make sure you use the procedure for whatever material your boat is made from. The newer poly fabrics aren't the same as the older Hypalon fabrics. Repair techniques are material specific.

Default Tracey

I stopped by Alaska Raft and Kayak last week after work and talked with Tracey - he gave me the proper glue and advise on the method - this old boat is Hypalon all the way around. I have some stern work to do, and the oar holders are coming loose so I want to re-glue them while I am at it.

I usually got to http://rib.net for info on inflatables, they also have a section for soft-bottomed boats.