Thread: where to have black bear hide sealed?

Default where to have black bear hide sealed?

Hopeing to take my first black bear this September (unit 7) and was wondering where in Anchorage I can get the hide sealed. The regs just say it must be sealed by a "sealing officer".

If I understand correctly, you have to have the hide sealed, even if you have no intention of keeping it. Seems kind of silly to carry the thing out of the field, when all I want is the meat, especially now that you have to report the hunt through a harvest report. If I don't want it, what do you recommend doing with after it's sealed.

The F&G office off at C st and Raspberry does bear sealing there. A taxidermist can usually do it too, I had the taxidermist seal mine when I dropped it off there.

Knight's taxidermy does it. Donate it to fish and game's hide and horn auction. I don't know if they'll take it but you can try. Some of the taxidermists will take them to patch holes, there are a whole lot of options.

Kind of an offshoot on this topic, not meaning to steal you thread, but what else can you do with a bear hide if you cannot afford to get it tanned/and or mounted as a rug? Kind of seems like a waste to me to just get rid of a perfectly good hide? I too am hoping to get my first black bear soon, and know I can't afford the 1500+ it seems it will cost to get a nice rug made? Anyone every tried making a rug themselves? I've seen the foam molds and tools you can get on taxidermy supply websites, not really that expensive for the supplies vs. the labor, which is what really gets you. Anybody done anything unique? Clothing maybe? A hat? Just wondering, and thanks.

As already said, either f&g or a taxidermist can do the sealing. I personally would want to keep the hide, in which case for the other question, I would get it tanned. It's not real expensive, and it gives you the options for what you want to do with it later.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

I guess if you cant afford to get it tanned or rugged, you can freeze it until you can afford it or give it to someone. I dont think just tanning is that much really, you can just get it tanned and get it rugged at a later date also. Got two bears this year, had a rug made out of one(the big one) and had a shoulder mount done on the smaller one and that was about $700 total for the shoulder mount, not a bad deal...

You can smoke tan it for the cost of building a fire.You can make bangles with the claws and keep the clean skull to hang on the wall

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    You can smoke tan it for the cost of building a fire.You can make bangles with the claws and keep the clean skull to hang on the wall

can you explain the smoke tanning? does it work for moose hides too?
    Semper Fi!

Default Fish & Game did mine

I took it to F&G and then just had it tanned for $300, still hangs on the wall only tanned, never did get around to have the rug part done, which is adding a fake skull and stitching it to a backing + ears.
    looks good but a PWS 6'2" late fall balck bear would