Thread: Mountain Goat hunt following Brown Bear?

Default Mountain Goat hunt following Brown Bear?

I know this is going to sound nuts, but here is my situation, I will be in Alaska on a Peninsula Brown Bear hunt Sept. 26 -Oct 13. Not that it will necessarily happen again, but this outfitter has a history of clients tagging out in the first day or two, of course wheather and bears permitting. Should this occur, I've been considering whether or not a mountain goat hunt would be feasible, once filling my Brown Bear tag? Logistical nightmare or worth the effort?

My understanding is that their coats are in beautiful condition this time of year, and that would be quite a pair of trophies to come home with.

If you think it's feasible, any guide recommendations?

I should add that I will be hunting for BB in the Port Moeller area, and returning to Anchorage after filling tag.

Thank you,
    Jeff

I would have to say any reputable guide would be booked for the year,most guides are out ruuning there camps and would be hard to contact, for such a last minute hunt, your are better off sticking with your bear hunt. Or just ask your outfitter for his opinion.

First make sure you get the bear you really want.If you are going to be happy with getting any bear you might as well go for goats also. You are on a long hunt and paying good money so make your guide work for you and get a bear you really want. The ten footer you see on day twelve while chaseing goats will really make you question why you took the eight footer on day two.Concider quaility over numbers.Look at cost for two throphys mounted and cost for meat shipping. For me I would take the best bear I could find to meet what I really wanted.If I didn't find it I would still have lots of pics of all the bears I passed on. When I got my bear I would spend time helping with fleshing and prepareing the hide.I would spend time fishing and kicking back drinking coffee and shareing stories.

Hunting for a trophy bear is certainly the primary reason for coming to Alaska. As I've spoken with more of the guides references, of course, they have had very good things to say about him and the hunt. One very common remark is how quickly they filled their tag with their trophy bear. Now, they all said they were happy with the bear they took 8'-9 1/2', but I don't know if I would have gotten a reference of somebody not happy. My concern was having all this time in camp, when I'd much rather be out in the bush hunting, or in a stream fishing, if either is available.

I enjoy learning new hunting skills and will certainly be "elbow deep" in fleshing the hide.

I'd bring a fishing pole in case you tag out early

there's mountain goats in the port moller area?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Never been there but I suspect only in magazines.