Thread: Hunting Months

Default Hunting Months

So I have been in the process of setting up a hunt in Alaska. Preferebly Moose or Black Bear. My biggest problem is dates. I will leave Iraq in May/June of 2010 and want to make the hunt in the fall 2010. My brother is unsure of what month he will get out of college so he can join me.

I was hoping to do a float hunt in Sept but his college dates might not allow for a Sept hunt. I was then thinking about August but it might be to early to accomplish a hunt like this.

Would we have to go way up north for either of these animals? Is it to early in the year to have a successful hunt? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Once he knows for sure of his dates then I can start making reservations but I want to know what would be good or bad before hand so I will know if it will happen or not.

Thanks
    Brian

Just take a good look at the Regs. There is something to huntall year long. But if you are stuck on Black Bear or Moose then Black Bear is probably your best bet as far as dates go. Most places are open year round for blackies and there is some good spot and stock opportunities. You don't have to travel up north for either. I've seen some nice blackies down south and typically they are bigger in southern Alaska. If you're coming from the lower 48 it would probably be quite less expensive and a lot easier to do a hunt in southern AK.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Have you considered doing caribou in August instead? High success rates and easier meat care than moose make it a good option for first-time AK hunters. I generally wouldn't bother with a moose hunt in August (most areas aren't open) and bear hide quality isn't prime that early in the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Have you considered doing caribou in August instead? High success rates and easier meat care than moose make it a good option for first-time AK hunters. I generally wouldn't bother with a moose hunt in August (most areas aren't open) and bear hide quality isn't prime that early in the fall.

Thanks and no I didn't really think about Caribou!!! Thanks for the input. I will most definatly put some thought into that.

I am still looking at doing a Float Hunt. Lets see what I can come up with. I do have Mike Strahan's book and it is a great read.

I'll second a Caribou hunt. Generally you have a lot of animals to look at, it is very cool to see herd of hundreds of animals, they aren't the size of a small car when it comes to quartering and packing, the meat is great, the antlers are impressive, the country they are found in is beautiful and the price for an air charter for caribou is quite a bit less than that for a moose hunt.

Float hunting is way cool.

Another thing about August is there is a better chance for getting some silver fishing in while you are up here.

The black bear hides aren't as nice as they are in September, but you can still find a nice bear. The coats are even and full in August, just not long and thick like a late September or early October bear. My brother harvested a nice black bear last weekend. Not a spectacular coat, but still nice.