Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valdez Report, 8/13

Default Valdez Report, 8/13

We took the boat out when we arrived last night and managed two fish, one of them a real lunker! It's too bad I forgot my camera in the truck. Word or Mouth is they are still out past Rocky Point, and stacked around Goose Island, we're gonna try and make it out there tommorow, weather permitting. For you shore fisherman, I would definitely suggest waiting another week or two, they are definitely not in the Arm in good numbers yet.... Pretty Slow Today, didn't get out of the harbor until about 4:00PM, it was so foggy that it just wasn't worth it to take the boat out and cruise about 6 knots to get anywhere(no radar). We did manage to find our way to Gold Creek, thank god for GPS, and began trolling. We caught 3 in 1/2 hour, but then it went dead for the next 2 and 1/2. Bottom line is: it's raining like hell, foggy, and you have to take the boat out a significant distance to get into some real numbers. Good call on not coming here this weekend Preed, I will load up some pics Sunday.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default Still stumped

Yes the fish seem to have a problem finding their home streams. A friend commercial seiner fished an opener over near Fairmount and did poorly on the pinks. Not as bad as the port here, but bad.

For some reason the fish are just not acting right anywhere in the sound this year. Probably won't make it out this weekend as I am trying to get a roof put on with out damp skies.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default 14.5 Pounder

We did manage his guy yesterday, a real whopper....

Fish On!

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    We did manage his guy yesterday, a real whopper....

Fish On!
    Can I get some cheese on that Whopper! Nice Fish BigCox, I guess some is better than none.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Default Looks

Looks like the remains of the fish I put in my shrimp pots yesterday. Nice one. SOme winter kings are being caught too.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Fishing was a little better today, brought home 10 silvers and a Jack King...released another silver that was a dinker. Most of the fish were a pretty good size, a couple of them went 13 and 14 pounds. I'm still waiting for that 20 pounder to hit my bait...It was real sporadic, we would catch a bunch in an hour, then it would be dead for 2. Herring rigs worked well, also caught a few on the Vibrax No. 6. Oh yeah, and about 100 shrimp to boot...

Here's a photo of a nice one caught today, he was a bleeder right off the bat, tried to wipe most of it off but it wasn't happening....oh well, he's gonna smoke up real nice!

Fish On!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just got back to Fairbanks tonight, Valdez was kind of a bummer....was hoping to get out of the Narrows yesterday, but opted not to as the chatter on the radio was stating 5 and 6 footers out there. So we stuck in close with the mass chaos that is the Gold Mine area, was SLOWWWW....and based on the marine radio chatter and witnessing the other boats, nobody was doing much better than we were. Ended up with 3 silvers and a chrome chum. It was a good trip overall, wish the weather could have been a little better, it did not stop raining the whole time we were down there. We saw a lot of debris in the water, after driving home I realized why, the LOWE river was raging pretty good as a result of all the rain. Brought home 18 silvers, a Jack King, and a Chum...gonna smoke up some salmon tommorow....

Fish On!

good to hear you did manage to find some. we are headin that way thursday night. hopefully they have found their way by then. my last chance before i go into full blown moose hunting mode.

I was told yesterday they've experienced a high rain count...average 3 days a week with some areas near flood stage.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

I'm headed down this weekend, Sat or Sun depending on how quickly we can get it together. I hope they surge into the bay in the next few days, cause I don't have a boat and was planning on catching a lot from shore....lol.

And this year I'm dragging my family along, so if fishing is bad they are not going to be thrilled (teenagers these days...if it doesn't have a screen, it's not worth spending much time doing).

The majority of the fish are still far from the harbor and the rain has made the water into a silty nightmare...if it were me I would suspend the family thing a bit. We spent Friday and Saturday out and only managed 6 in 20 hours of trolling.

I can put it off a day or two, but that's about it...lol. I've already requested the time off from work, so I'm sort of committed at this point to fishing next week. I may have a spot on a boat for a day, but that is only one spot and won't help keep the family entertained...

Guess we'll just wing it and see what happens.

Speaking of which, do I need to reserve a campsite at Eagle's Rest or whatever it's called? I should probably do that if so.

Hey Coho,
    How long will you be there and will you post while you are there? We will be geting into Anchorage Monday the 24th and need to decide if we go south or west first. We usally like to end the week up in Valdez, but if it is hot would like to hit it first.

Default Coho Slayer

I would suggest making reservations. Thats a very popular camp site. I will be there about noon on saturday. We should meet up while where down there . I'm off mon,tues,wed. What boat do you have a spot on. I might be interested. Or my brother-in-law who just came back from touring the pacific on the U.S.S. John C. Stennis. Anywayz yes make reservations. I need to do that as well. Chris

Quote Originally Posted by fishinit View Post
    Hey Coho,
    How long will you be there and will you post while you are there? We will be geting into Anchorage Monday the 24th and need to decide if we go south or west first. We usally like to end the week up in Valdez, but if it is hot would like to hit it first.
    I'll probably be there by Monday at the latest. Technically we can stay all week if we choose to, but a lot will depend on how fast we get our limits and what the weather does. We can only bring so many dry changes of clothes...lol. I'll bring my Blackberry and post up a short update if there's anything happening one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by bruinman View Post
    I would suggest making reservations. Thats a very popular camp site. I will be there about noon on saturday. We should meet up while where down there . I'm off mon,tues,wed. What boat do you have a spot on. I might be interested. Or my brother-in-law who just came back from touring the pacific on the U.S.S. John C. Stennis. Anywayz yes make reservations. I need to do that as well. Chris
    The boat spot is just one slot with some other guys who are renting a boat from Fish Central. I don't think they have any more room, but we fished together down there last year and did fairly well. I may join them again just for a day. The bay was packed with fish last year during the same time frame. I only spent two days there, one on the city pier and one out with them and got limits plus a couple for a proxy both days.

Either way, I hope the fish storm in in the next week. My father-in-law will be there also, with some relatives from the lower-48, so there's going to be about 8 of us with the whole family. They are going out halibut fishing on the 24th, but will then spend the next couple of days fishing for silvers from shore.

Anyway, if you hit Eagle's Rest and see a white Denali with a tent there's a good chance that's us.

Oh, and I'm winning the derby this year, so you can all just forgo buying tickets and save yourselves some money.

Unfortunately guys Eagles Rest doesn't reserve tent sites, just trying to save you a phone call. Coho we'll see you a few days hopefully the silvers will make a big surge into the bay.

just talked to a guide friend in Valdez. they said fishing sucks, for silvers anyway. 20-30 miles out is where they are. with all the rain even when you go there they wont bite. managing only a few per trip and a few trips with 0. there are a few in the bay but emphasis on "a few" and they arent in the biting mood either. plus if you do go that far your only allowed 3. things can chage quickly, but i dunno, im thinking by the time they come in itll be time for the commercial guys to swoop em up. i hate to even mutter the words but i just might not make the trip this year. first time in 10 years...

I'm holding out faith that they'll move in. Course I'm going one way or another anyway, since that's when I have time off...lol.

Brian, give me a call when you get there. Sounds like we'll beat you there by at least a day. I should have an idea what the fishing is looking like by then, too. I may try one more bait-catching trip to Whittier before then so I won't have to buy any bait the whole time and hopefully have enough to share.

For those waiting, as soon as I get an idea of what the shore fishing is looking like, I'll either update this thread or start a new one. Sounds like there's quite a number of people that are on here that are going to be down there at about the same time.

Limits to us all! Cheers

Default a few at the narrows

My first time here with a boat, left the dock around noon. Lots of fog, and so much debris fishing close in was a bust. Heard on the radio sun was shinning and a few nets were flying at the narrows. We headed out, dropped my line and was setting up the wifes, looked over to my pole and it was buried. But I couldn't get back to it in time, hit and run. We saw fish caught, but hot it wasn't. We ended up with one keeper Plan to head straight out there Tues., weather permitting.
    Look for a little red Lund.
    tight lines,
    Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by k7grc View Post
    My first time here with a boat, left the dock around noon. Lots of fog, and so much debris fishing close in was a bust. Heard on the radio sun was shinning and a few nets were flying at the narrows. We headed out, dropped my line and was setting up the wifes, looked over to my pole and it was buried. But I couldn't get back to it in time, hit and run. We saw fish caught, but hot it wasn't. We ended up with one keeper Plan to head straight out there Tues., weather permitting.
    Look for a little red Lund.
    tight lines,
    Gordon
    Yeah, I brought up the downrigger once and had half a tree caught on it...gonna head back down there during Labor Day Weekend, I bet fishing will be a little better by then. Hopefully the rain will subside and stop all the trees coming into the arm. If your desperate and not catching anything, I did see about 15 chums in the Harbor by the ramp going down to B Dock...a few of them probably could've gone 20 pounds...

Fish On!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast