Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vibrax and Salmon

Default Vibrax and Salmon

So I'm getting ready for the influx of silvers and I ended up buying various #4 Vibrax in copper silver and blue. The #4s look a little big to me so I was wondering what kind of vibrax you guys use for Red Salmon, Silver Salmon and King Salmon (I wanna have all my tackle in gear for next year) Anyways hope I get some replies soon!

--Chris
    A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

You don’t say how/where you’re fishing for them…salt or fresh?

Fresh water…for silvers I like #3 and #4 Blue Fox Vibrax in silver, green or orange. Kings I go #5 Vibrax in red, green or silver in deeper water. Shallow I use yarn, beads etc. Reds I use an aggravator like yarn or bead or simply a red hook.

Trolling saltwater for silvers with bait is my fav.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Default I use 4's and 5's

I use 5's for kings and have never used them for reds myself. I use 4's for silvers but often get snagged fish. If I snag into 1 or 2 I change to something else to avoid tiring them out on their way up.

Quote Originally Posted by tdelarm View Post
    You don’t say how/where you’re fishing for them…salt or fresh?
    Ah well I was going to be doing spin casting, in the rivers and intertidial zones (ship creek/Bird creek/ cambell creek). I also do fly fishing in rivers but I dont think this appies to here.
    A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

hmm....Definitely a number 6 Blue Vibrax...you cannot go wrong...Kings...Silvers...Chums. I've caught them all using a number 6, blue is definitely the most rewarding. In fact, we've even caught silvers here in Valdez this year on a blue Vibrax.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default Other colors for Vibrax

I have had good luck off the breakwater in Homer using both blue and hot pink #4s. I have caught them in the Swanson using both pink and chartreuse #3s. Tonight I caught a nice silver in the kenai on a black and brass #4 Vibrax. It seems brass and darker colors work better on an overcast day. Blue #5s are deadly for kings at Ninilchik.

And though we have a poster on here who almost is a salesman for Kodiak Kustom lures, they really are very effective for cohoes, but IMHO they seem to get snagged up a little easier than Vibraxes because they are heavier. They are also more expensive.

Default #5 vibrax

the deadliest color for silvers is the all brass one..or the black sparkly one with the orange tip on the blade. if you target the silvers in the harbor in whittier make sure to watch the lure. go as slow as it takes for the lure to just disappear out of sight then hang on!!

Default True

Quote Originally Posted by arcticfox77 View Post
    the deadliest color for silvers is the all brass one..or the black sparkly one with the orange tip on the blade. if you target the silvers in the harbor in whittier make sure to watch the lure. go as slow as it takes for the lure to just disappear out of sight then hang on!!
    Forgot about this rendition.

I fished silvers at Jim Creek last weekend. Pink, chartreuse, and fire orange in #4 seemed to be the most popular with pink doing the most damage. That said, the fly fisherman were catching about 3 or 4 fish to every one that the spin fisherman were getting (legally). I saw a lot of bunny leeches and ESL's in various colors being used quite effectively.

This year I used blue #5s when I caught both of my kings. My silvers have all been on #4s pink (till it broke) currently using orange. I think I got 8 silvers off the pink before it broke. Up to 3 on the orange. This is all out of Ship Creek.

Last year, my first year here and not really knowing what I was doing I only caught 1 silver. It was at Bird Creek on a #4 purple.

That said, one of the regulars down at Ship Creek has been catching silvers on a #6 blue, and a friend of mine only uses #5s for silvers, he's been doing pretty good with the pink and orange as well.

#4 and #5 orange and black "tiger stripe" Vibrax were definitely the ticket on the Little Su last week (silvers and chums).

Vibrax with silver blades seem to work good in really murky/silty water (which would normally describe the Little Su but it was actually running fairly clear since the water was low). Tagged a 15lb. silver at the mouth of Bird Creek last summer on a size 2 all-silver Vibrax.

The best time I ever had using a Vibrax was with an all Silver #6. This was fishing silvers in fresh water.

Default #6

I like #6 size and have caught kings, silvers, chums and pinks with them. All colors, my favs are blue and chartuese colors.

I am sure any larger sizes work, any color. I would get a variety of them. I would also get some of the Mepps #5 trophy series and flying C, Kodiak Customs makes some nice in-line spinners also. I have used and have lots of in-line spinner brands.

Just remember low and slow.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Biggest king I have ever caught (52#) was on the Deshka with a green/black #2 Vibrax....

For silvers I like smaller tackle so I stick with the #3's and use 12# test line. Fishing on the Little Su, Chartreuse/pink/orange all with silver blades seem to work really well.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Thumbs up

What has worked for me:

#3 for all salmon except Reds.

Blue early part of each run.

Pink for mid part of run.

Brass for latter part of run.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Spinner color does not matter they all work

It's best to match the spinner size and color to the water conditions. I prefer size 5's for Kings in any color. Silvers size 3 or 4 depending upon the size and visibility of the river.
    Last edited by Steelieguy; 08-14-2009 at 14:48. Reason: spelling

#5 or #6. Chartruese.
    I think the reason #6 works so good is because of the size. The big blade allows it to be retrieved slower while the blade spins really good. Smaller spinners have less resisitance (smaller blades) and are retrieved faster to get the right action ( I think ).
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

I've only used pixies myself (I'm brand new to AK fishing) how do you fish with this type? Say on a smaller river or larger stream with a decent current; do you throw downstream & crank up? Or straight across and it'll drift down a bit as you work it back?

Quote Originally Posted by MGNiko View Post
    I've only used pixies myself (I'm brand new to AK fishing) how do you fish with this type? Say on a smaller river or larger stream with a decent current; do you throw downstream & crank up? Or straight across and it'll drift down a bit as you work it back?

Chose option number 2

Or cast slightly upstream, say around 10:00 - and then let it drift back to about 2:00 before you get it back to shore.
    Ten and Two - just like driving a car.

today i caught a dime bright silver hen at the bridge over campbell creek on dimond....#3 orange body bronze blade, 3rd cast.....fish em low and slow as possible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast