Thread: Painting a coleman canoe?

Arrow Painting a coleman canoe?

Has anyone had any luck painting a coleman canoe? I'd like to camo mine out before next hunting season. I dont expect it to stick to the bottom where it takes the most abuse. Any tips or information?
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Wink Paint the canoe

You hunt with the canoe when the freak just sits in the garage? Is the canoe composit or metal. I can find out exactly tommorrow I will call Curtis and Cambell. Wind is howling here in Valdez.

Hey Bill, long time no talk.

Yup, the buggy is collecting dust in the shop for a while. Dusted off the ol' canoe and all my old hunting and camping gear this fall in an effort to get back into all the outdoor sports I used to enjoy so much as a child.

The canoe is plastic of some sort, standard coleman green plastic stuff.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Vinyl dye should work fine dude. You'll have to take the aluminum off and have it anodized though.... and get a more comfortable front seat.

Man, I dont think I have the coin to get that long of a piece anodized, but I could sand blast it and paint it with whatever your supposed to paint alum with?

For how little I use the canoe I could just scuff it up with scotch brite pads then paint it with krylon. Touch up would be quick and easy. Kinda hack though...

Default Anodizing

Anodizing is going to cost money. It is a several step process that requires cleaning, acid etching and an electrolsis process.

We used to use Tide detergent back when it had phospates in it to do a light etch on aluminum. I would just Sctoch Brite it and paint it with an oil base paint of some kind. As far as the canoe, Krylon makes sprays for plastic and a primer for plastic too. Let me know how yours turns out so I can do mine too.
    "Never again shall one generation of Veterans abandon another".
    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Plastic Colemans

The kind of plastic that Colemean uses for its canoes will not permanently take paint. It will scratch off. I think AlaskaCanoe will bear me out on this.
    Perhaps some sort of camo decal material such as they make for 4-wheelers might be a better and longer lasting option.
    As for aluminum: etch it with lemon juice or vinegar, then use the old green zinc chromate primer that they used to use for airplanes and outboard motors as the basis for your color.
    The smaller that government becomes, the bigger my support for it will be. The opposite is also true.

I am kinda wondering if some sort of camo net might be the best option. The decal idea is good; I'll have to talk to 907 customs to see if he’s got anything like that.

Another thing I don’t like is how loud and unnatural the sound is when you accidentally bump your paddle on the edge of the canoe. I've thought about putting pipe insulation along the edges in front and back.

Default canoe paint

you could try one of the new spray paints for plastics available at home depo or ace hardware body shops also carry primer for aluminum in spray cans that works well for those parts fshgde

Thumbs up Go Cheap

Look for $3.00 you can go cheap!!!! Go to Wal-Mart buy 2 cans of spray paint and do it up! Good for at less 1 ard trip. Can't beat the price even for 10 coats! Don't fight it! It Works!! Trail Boss

Default painting a coleman

Sayak is correct, Paint will not stay for long on a Coleman. I have posted before about my visits with the Manufactures of these Polyethelene canoes. Infact, the state of alaska requires me to to put those big state park commercial operator stickers on the sides of my canoes, and the only way I can get them to stay all summer is to clean the material with alcohol and let it dry and then apply the sticker and rub until it gets hot.
    but If I want to pull the decal off, it comes off with just a light pull once you get ahold of an edge.. this is due to Polyethelene is a oil based process that uses heat and chemicals to make a liquid that is molded and then cooled. The material from the time it is manufactured does not accept repairs very easily due to the way this material shrinks and expands at different temperatures. any product you try to attach to the polyethelene will not conform to these changes in the same way, and will fall off after awhile.. that is why Coleman does not sell a repair kit for the canoes, as they can't guarantee it will stick. If you patched a hole with material they sold as repair, and your boat sunk due to it falling off, they may be liable so they don't even recomend a repair method..
    I have heard that SIKAFLEX works about as good as any, (As told by Fulkurl),, but I have not tried it yet.. it sounds like that this material stays so flexable that it can keep up with the expanding and contracting of the polyethelene of the canoe itself..
    I think like was mentioned above that the Camo paints or the Plastic paints may be the way to go though, and you can order a pattern from Cabelas and just get Western with the imagination... and then for a few bucks,, do it again when it falls off.. it will stay on for a while..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default aluminum

If you want to etch Aluminum in a cheap way, you can use OVEN CLEANER.
    Now this stuff will actually eat aluminum up pretty fast, so if you use it, just spray it on small areas and then wait no more than a minute and wipe it off, then rinse really good to neutralize the chemicals in the Oven cleaner. do a test area so you can see how fast it will etch the material, and you can do your aluminum this way. Use proper Aluminum primer. talk to a aluminum boat manufacture and he can guide you .
    Now remember something about Aluminum.
    It does much better if never painted, as oxidation is part of its own protection process. It will get a slight dusty look to it and stay that way for years, if you paint it, it will actually rot from the inside out due to trapping under the paint.. I knew a guy that over time ruined his Kenai river boat by painting it with clear coat to get that nice new shine.
    Their are technical reports out that can better explain, but it generally best to leave aluminum unpainted, or introduce other metals to Aluminum. Disimilar metals will react, and then you have a pile of Aluminum dust.
    I will look for a post from a a boat owner that suffered from his boats paint and disimilar metal problems.
    This all being said,,, I painted an Aluminum canoe this summer in Camo colors, and it looked great.... What was I thinking??? lol..
    I never take my own advice..lol
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com