Thread: Help! September Travel Options

Default Help! September Travel Options

I am distraught and need your help. Today I had to cancel my trip to Alaska which was scheduled to start on Saturday. I had been planning this trip since last year. This was a do it yourself trip with car travel and camping. I was going to hit the end of the red run on the Russian and then try to get some silvers on the Kenai Peninsula and Parks Highway streams. I have fished those areas before and am somewhat familiar with them. I would be fishing with both spinning and fly gear.

Now my options are to try to squeeze the trip in for the second or third week of September, or wait until next August. What should I do? I have never considered fishing Alaska that late in the season before. What will I find at that time and where should I go? Any advice from Alaskans or fellow travelers is greatly appreciated as I need to make this decision ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by riflecat View Post
    I am distraught and need your help. Today I had to cancel my trip to Alaska which was scheduled to start on Saturday. I had been planning this trip since last year. This was a do it yourself trip with car travel and camping. I was going to hit the end of the red run on the Russian and then try to get some silvers on the Kenai Peninsula and Parks Highway streams. I have fished those areas before and am somewhat familiar with them. I would be fishing with both spinning and fly gear.

Now my options are to try to squeeze the trip in for the second or third week of September, or wait until next August. What should I do? I have never considered fishing Alaska that late in the season before. What will I find at that time and where should I go? Any advice from Alaskans or fellow travelers is greatly appreciated as I need to make this decision ASAP.

Silver fishing on the Kenai should still be great. Plus the rainbow and dolly fishing it outstanding. Plus the Anchor will have steelhead too. Ill be fishing the kenai from about 10 september through the 27th this year. Upper, canyon and mid river for bows and silvers. Give Drifter016 a shout. he nailed the silvers on the middle kenai last year and can give your some tips too.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I have always fished for silvers the 2nd/3rd week on September on the Kenai. Try Soldotna Park or Centennial.
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

Should be alot of great fishing yet that time of year. I would start packing if I were you. Make sure to pack so good rubber rain gear that time of year and not just the light gortex. We tend to get alot of rain then. The Kenai will be great for sivlers and bow's as well as the tail end of the reds. the Anchor river should be great as well as fishing from the beach in Seward for silvers too. Lots of choices.

Simple, Upper and Middle Kenai For Bows and Dollies with good silver fishing in the Middle. Plus Steelhead on the Anchor will be starting.
    Plus, Plus FISHAPALOOZA is on!!!!

After Labour day is the best!!! All those darn tourists have left!!!!!
    Camping is free at Cooper Creek and Russian River CG's.
    The leaves are starting to turn. After you come in September or October you will never come during the zoo that is the tourist season again.

Here's a shot of the Confluence the week after Labour Day.
    Two of te guys in the photo and the rest aren't.

Here's a slide show of what to expect in September.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/10...t=299d936f.pbw

And a little video I put together from last years exploits.

http://www.trophy-clips.com/view_vid...d18488bc579b30

Thanks for the encouragement; my spirits are better. It looks like I'll try to get there the week of September 6-12. My only concern is fishing the Kenai without a boat or guide. I might be able to spring for one day, but that would be my limit since this is a budget trip. I have only fished the Russian confluence area before. I'll definitely bring the rain gear; any other advice would be appreciated.

P.S. That was a cool slide show and video.

There are plenty of good walk in spots available.
    All the highway pullouts have trails leading to the fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by riflecat View Post
    Thanks for the encouragement; my spirits are better. It looks like I'll try to get there the week of September 6-12. My only concern is fishing the Kenai without a boat or guide. I might be able to spring for one day, but that would be my limit since this is a budget trip. I have only fished the Russian confluence area before. I'll definitely bring the rain gear; any other advice would be appreciated.

P.S. That was a cool slide show and video.
    Get with dave and I on here. Dave and I are looking at heading that way around the 8th to the 10th. If your there we can point you in the right direction. Driving south at mile marker 57 is a parking area on the left. trail is about 1/4. you walk in and hit a back channel. YOu can cross it and fish that whole back channel then the other side of the island on the main channel too. good fishing and you can spend a day they working that stretch of water on different beads and flies. Thats just one spot. Plus ask around. Us trout fisherman are ok guys
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

There's a ton of water there and actually I have always wondered if we don't do our trips too early. When we set the dates up the first time for late July it was because of Salmon fishing. Been twice and we spend 90 percent of our time trout fishing, and very little time on the Kenai.

Let the guys on the site help you. Also go back and do a search for last years threads around the time you will be here to see what reports are being posted, who's doing good where.

You can check our website for some "RV" Rental options.

Default RV rental options

Quote Originally Posted by 2PawsRiver View Post
    You can check our website for some "RV" Rental options.

Would that be the famous one acre blue tarp? LOL!!!!

Works for me Mark.

- Oldmil

I still chuckle when I think about it, but I have to say the U-Haul and monster tarp worked fantastic.