Thread: STOLEN Crab Pot

Default STOLEN Crab Pot

Just wanted to warn those of you fishing for crab in the Kachemak Bay tanner crab fishery to watch your gear.
    Last week my boat broke down and when I got to my pots three days later one was missing. My buddy also lost a pot that was 1/10 of a mile or so from mine. we could see all four of our pots from the others. We also had them marked on our gps.
    Both pots were properly rigged. mine had 900' of line on it and my buddy had 600' on his. both pots were in less than 500' of water. Both had orange buoys and foam bullet buoy trailers.
    The bay was too rough for my buddy to pull his pots from his small boat and since mine was out of commission we had to wait until it calmed down to go retrieve our gear.
    Someone also helped themselves to some of our crab as well.
    A coworker of mine also had crab stolen from his pots during the same time frame.
    we did each retrieve one of our pots.
    The crab fishing has been good though.
    The first days pick yielded 25 legal males 40 sublegals and about 80 females.This was only 5-6 hour soak.
    next pick yielded 20+ legal males 30+ sublegals and 30+ females.
    This was in two gear shed pots.
    Soo if you see an oblong style orange buoy marked ROUST-A-BOUT let me know it had a white bullet buoy as a trailer that is also marked.
    I also have small brass trap tags with my name and phone number wrapped around several bars of the pot frame.
    I did notify the State Troopers, But am not holding my breath!
    Good Luck Crabbing and fishing CHRIS.

Saw them out there last week in the path from the spit to Graham...we were nice and dodged `em in the low light hours.

Exclamation gone yes... stolen? perhaps.

i know a charter that came back with two wrapped on his shaft a week or so ago...

i hate fishing in the shipping lanes in the summer, just too much traffic... of course there are a few crab there .
    NOAA has just asked that folks refrain from fishing the outer bay while they are doing sonar work and charting outside the spit, i moved my pot in to a less productive spot, but i won't have to worry about losing it to a big ship or charter, and i will likely move back in a week or two.

i am sure more than a few pots have been caught up in the screws of tankers and freighters, and 900' of line might get tangled with a ship easier than the 600' that i think is more the norm. i know it is hard to see bouys, especially the bullet type, when it is rough or in bright glare.

i also know that the longer the soak the LESS crab you will have. they are more "inconvenienced" than "trapped" really, and if the bait is gone they will start finding their way out

anyhow, though you MAY have had a pot stolen, i wouldn't leap to that conclusion....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Dave I did consider the possibility of my pot being drug off but when my buddy couldn't find one of his either I just assumed it was stolen. You're right though that could be where it ended up. his pot was a little over 1/10 of a mile from mine.we had them all in a line with each other.
    We both had larger orange buoys on them just had the trailer for extra insurance. Also makes them easier to spot if your buoy and trailer color combo is different than anyone else.
    The reason I had 900" on was that last year I found some good crabbing in water that was 550' - 600' deep and wanted to try that area again this year. 600' just wasn't quite enough to feel safe about and I also had plans to use the same lines for a little shrimping out of Whittier where I hear the extra length is good to have.
    A coworker of mine had his pots picked and whoever it was left black grease all along his pot lines so he knows it was picked.
    Yeah we all need to be careful about crabbing in the shipping lanes.
    CHRIS

Default Not Sure

I'm not sure of the tide and kelp situation up there but around southeast I've "lost" pots only to go out on a slack minus tide and find them barely floating in a ball of seaweed. A strong tide and a ball of kelp will pull a bouy under.
    Last edited by AKBoater; 08-14-2009 at 15:35. Reason: I can't spell

Default good point, akboater

i "lost" a pot this spring, only to find it on the next slack low.
    i wonder if the drag created by 900' of sinking line would make the bouys more likely to get dragged under?

Default Seems Possible

That sinking line weighs a lot. I know 180 ft of the stuff makes my small orange bags stand up. I always go back on the next low slack tide to look for a pot. More often than not it's right where I left it.

My brother commercially crabbed for a few summers and he would always talk about places that they could only check their gear at low slack tide because the bouys were under water any other time.
    Last edited by AKBoater; 08-14-2009 at 17:05. Reason: Had more to say.

Default only 600' of sinking

only 600' of my line was sinking the bottom shot was 300' of poly.
    600' of 5/16 groundline on top with 300' of poly (floats) on the bottom end. The buoy was one of those orange oblong type don't know if that would make any difference.
    I was definetly planning on looking again for my pot after I get back from the slope in a week and a half. Would have gone back before I went to work but my boat ended up back in the shop and a new motor is on order.
    I also have a couple of people who will be keeping an eye out for my buoy in the area.
    It just seemed odd to me that my friend also lost a pot in the same area.
    He was using one of potbuilders pots with 600' of sinking line on it. we both got one pot back so it seemed odd that we would only loose one to the tide or whatever.
    I do have some other areas that produced last year but never seemed to have quite the numbers we were looking for. have never had trouble getting 20+ crabs in the area where I lost my pot.
    Had one pot with 15 keepers in a 5 hour soak.
    Always lots of sublegals and this year more females than ever before.
    Thanks for the ideas and advice CHRIS

Default Good news Bad news

The good news is that someone found my missing buoy.
    Bad news was there was nothing attached to it when he found it.
    Got a voicemail yesterday from a guy named Tom who found my buoy in the inlet and wanted to know where the street I live on is located he got my ph# off my buoy and wanted to return it.
    I guess he found it 12 miles out in a tide rip. this is about 8.5-9 miles from where the pot was originally set.
    This confirms my original thoughts of a stolen pot.
    According to Tom there was nothing on the buoy no line at all
    If a ship had drug it off I would suspect there would at least be a few feet of line stilll attached.
    The buoy was tied on to the line with a bowline and a safety knot (overhand knot tied into the bight with the tag end) This was then wrapped with some scotch brand electrical tape . I added the tape just because it was handy when we dropped the pot.It is very unlikely that my knot came untied.
    Talked to a few people I know and have heard of a few othershaving pots raided or stolenin the k-bay area.
    you would think if a person had a boat and pot puller(knot in my line would not get through a buoy puller) they could afford their own pot and line.
    Just wanted to remind those crab fishermen in homer to keep a closer eye on their gear.
    CHRIS

Default bummer..

no chance it got cut off by a prop? or wrapped in someone's screw and they ended up cutting it off?

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    no chance it got cut off by a prop? or wrapped in someone's screw and they ended up cutting it off?
    That's what I'm wondering. I'd think that someone stole the pots, they'd just cut the line somewhere and there would be some left on the buoy. Still, I'd probably go with the assumption that someone messed the pot and keep an eye out for that kind of activity just in case.

I've lost a number of pots when fishing in the path of the ferry system....Even to the point where I hauled my buoys and found red bottom paint all over the sides (I set them back again because the crabbing was so doggone hot there), lost them the next day. I'm not saying yours weren't stolen, but I do believe that a lot of 'stolen' pots suffer an entirely different fate.

Hey Kasilofchrism, I'm the guy who found your buoy and I put it in front of your truck at your house today. I've never put that much info on my shrimp pot buoys, but I might start. Sure made it easy to return it. I've lost some shrimp pots, sure doesn't make you feel good, but at least we live where we can go back and do it again. Tom

I clicked on the little scale picture to "add to Tom's reputation". Good on Tom for returning the buoy.