Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is missing from Alaska Camping?

Default What is missing from Alaska Camping?

For those of us from Texas, do you miss the feeling of being out in the middle of nowhere at night, nestled near a crackling campfire and nodding out to the peaceful sounds of crickets chirping at night? I sure do!

It is so odd, having spent so many years living in the country and having the crickets and at other times frogs croaking as I went to sleep! In Alaska the only sound I hear at night is either my cousin pooting in the wind or cracking open another brew as I'm trying to sleep!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

OMG....!!!! i tried SO hard to sleep in AZ with that dang raucous outside the window... then he got cut off mid chirp... HEHE, mom says her tarantulas are heck on those little guys!!!

sure slept good the rest of the night though...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I'd rather listen to the loons calling at night than a dern frog

Default In bear country...

... no noise is good noise.

We are all different...I generally fall asleep with a low volume tune from the radio here when indoors...Nothing like knowing Taylor Swift is of legal age and crooning! (and secretly wanting me...ok, I must have been dreaming...but hey, see it works?!)

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    OMG....!!!! i tried SO hard to sleep in AZ with that dang raucous outside the window... then he got cut off mid chirp... HEHE, mom says her tarantulas are heck on those little guys!!!
    sure slept good the rest of the night though...
    I miss Arizona! Go out to a desert highway and outside a "gully" (dry river bed) and you'll find tarantulas warming themselves when the temps drop at night.....

Speaking of Arizona, were you around Phoenix or Glendale? If so nearly everyone has lemon, orange and grapefruit trees in their yards. Twenty years later, in retrospect, I've reminded myself of what I have said since then - and that is, "if i'm gonna landscape my yard, forget oak, cottonwood, bottlebrush, magnolia and the like....my trees will bear fruit!"

Default Sounds like...

Quote Originally Posted by Crab_n_fish View Post
    I miss Arizona! Go out to a desert highway and outside a "gully" (dry river bed) and you'll find tarantulas warming themselves when the temps drop at night.....

Speaking of Arizona, were you around Phoenix or Glendale? If so nearly everyone has lemon, orange and grapefruit trees in their yards. Twenty years later, in retrospect, I've reminded myself of what I have said since then - and that is, "if i'm gonna landscape my yard, forget oak, cottonwood, bottlebrush, magnolia and the like....my trees will bear fruit!"
    ... someone is homesick. Maybe AK is not for you. You could go back to tarantula_n_snake.

Default fireflies

we called em lightning bugs.....they were cool....no noise....just glow in the dark fun...if you caught em, you could put em in a jar and have a lantern or you could smear them on you when they were glowing and wear glow in the dark war paint and chase girls around telling them that you were gonna smear bugs on them...hmmm maybe thats why i had so much trouble finding a girlfriend when i was younger....
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

We just got back from a trip to the states. Had my first experience with a tick burrowing into my leg. I'll stay up here, thank you...Louis
    Louis Knapp

Default ticks aren't fun

have you seen what they have been doing to the moose in canada.....i hope that never happens up here
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

I recall the locusts buzzing so loudly in Oklahoma. Unfortunately the recollection stems from my tinnitus which keeps the deafening Alaska silence from becoming an annoyance.

What we need is more genarators. nothing like the buzz of them around 10pm to soften the nice fall sounds while watching a DVD
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Don't you just love it when the silence of Alaska is disrupted at 2AM by the sounds of every animal within 300 feet throwing a fit. Nothing make me reach for the .44 faster than silence being broken
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    Don't you just love it when the silence of Alaska is disrupted at 2AM by the sounds of every animal within 300 feet throwing a fit. Nothing make me reach for the .44 faster than silence being broken
    Yeah, kinda like when camping out on an interior lake or slough on the river system. You hear a loud splash and all the ducks bobbing in the water go ape ****. You settle back down into your sleeping bag knowing that a baby duck just became dinner for a northern pike.
    Now what ?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    What we need is more genarators. nothing like the buzz of them around 10pm to soften the nice fall sounds while watching a DVD
    lol sounds like a peeve...

i will bring m 12K... sounds like a semi running 70... so now worries about sounding like a genset
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    lol sounds like a peeve...

i will bring m 12K... sounds like a semi running 70... so now worries about sounding like a genset

They have thier place. Not all freaking morning and then all evening. Jesus. turn on the radio and listen to the news dont watch it. If you have your kids with you boot their butts outside. Sponge bob or powerstrangers will be there when you get home. Granted I just have a pop up but I can run my lights all summer plus the heater in the fall for 2 weeks and not have to charge my battery.

Default Here, here!

They have thier place. Not all freaking morning and then all evening. Jesus. turn on the radio and listen to the news dont watch it. If you have your kids with you boot their butts outside. Sponge bob or powerstrangers will be there when you get home. Granted I just have a pop up but I can run my lights all summer plus the heater in the fall for 2 weeks and not have to charge my battery.
    At what point does camping morph into just being another venue of home?
    I discourage any kind of electronic "gaming" when camp is set up, though I do let them play hand-held DSes when enroute.
    I know this will turn into a battle with my youngest and my two grands as the years roll by.

I grew up here. When i was 12 or so (pre video stuff) and we got camp set up I was off. As a 12 y.o. boy I did what boys do. I was off running around, exploring, getting dirty etc etc. I used to walk down the russian alone at 13. Long before the stairs. Nowdays all you see are kids and parents in the motorhomes, noone out side. TV antennas up or Sat dishes. I go to get away from that. I used to run all over the beaches of Ninilchik and deep creek, walk the boat harbor at home etc etc. Things just have changed so much

Not at all.

I'd much rather listen to loons calling, and hear beavers slap their tails on the water.

I grew up here. When i was 12 or so (pre video stuff) and we got camp set up I was off. As a 12 y.o. boy I did what boys do. I was off running around, exploring, getting dirty etc etc. I used to walk down the russian alone at 13. Long before the stairs. Nowdays all you see are kids and parents in the motorhomes, noone out side. TV antennas up or Sat dishes. I go to get away from that. I used to run all over the beaches of Ninilchik and deep creek, walk the boat harbor at home etc etc. Things just have changed so much
    Agreed. I was showing my kids how to shoot a wrist rocket I made, and how to aim and two other boys showed up and asked what it was, they had no idea, and then one of their cell phones rang so they answered it as they walked away. ***?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast