Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .358 Nukalpiaq

Default .358 Nukalpiaq

Quyana, Murphy and Gary Junk @ Arctic Gunworks.

(Quyana means "Thankyou" in the Yup'ik Eskimo language)

Well fellow riflemen, shooters, hunters, gun enthusiasts, and firearms aficionados here is a photo of the new .358 Nukalpiaq rifle. Enjoy
    Last edited by Nukalpiaq; 11-22-2009 at 20:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    Quyana, Murphy and Gary Junk @ Arctic Gunworks.

(Quyana means "Thankyou" in the Yup'ik Eskimo language)

Well fellow riflemen, shooters, hunters, gun enthusiasts, and firearms aficionados here is a photo of the new .358 Nukalpiaq rifle. Enjoy
    Very nice

Best of luck and keep the reports coming in...

Awesome indeed, very, very nice, I really like that.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Do you have any reloading data for it? I had talked to Murphy when he was working some loads up.

I did have fun with the loads for that rifle. As for loading data, Willard, I do have quite a bit but it is loose leaf pages in my notebook and all of the books are packed up to move. I will have data for you by the time you have that press set up. I used RL-17 with two different bullet weights but really like H4350 better for that application. Vihta N550 and 560 were tops also. When I get back home I'll chamber a pressure barrel in the caliber and run some test with my data. That will probably be well into the winter, the reamer is traveling now.

It is similar to the 358 Norma, with no belt of course and slightly more capacity to the tune of about 50 to 100 fps across the bullet weights. The McMillan stock with the tundraflage pattern is a great addition. Those folks do good work.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Where's the muzzle brake? Ya can't possibly shoot a gun of that magnitude with acceptable accuracy without one! OK,I'm kidding. I would have been disappointed if it were wearing one.

One of a kind and it is basicly from scratch. You got any idea how many people want to do what you just did. Ya done real good!

Murphy; How long have you been rooted up there? How does one go about getting all of the good stuff from way up yonder to way down yonder? Thats a lot of trips in the old pickem up truck. I don't envy ya none in regards to that move! I'm sure it'll all be worth it when ya get to where your going....it's just getting there. Good luck!

Default Beautiful.

Simply beautiful.

Willard: Long time coming but sure looks worth the wait. Congratulations. J.

Thumbs up I like it...

Looks like a well thought out and put together rifle. How many does the magazine hold?

So Um..it is beautiful as everyone else has already pointed out but..Where's the specs????? C'mon man!
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Very nice rifle Nukalpiaq! I'm alos interested in all the specs, including case/chamber specs and who did the build?

Cheers,

-MR

Did you get your headstamped brass yet? I'd like to see a picture of those...

Default Rifle specs

Gunsmith work by Arctic Gunworks in Fairbanks, Alaska
    Work detail for 358 Nukalpiaq rifle;
    Montana Rifle Company 1999 415 Stainless action. Model: CSRM-S, Bolt face: .534, Magazine Box Length: 3.400”, Capacity: 3 cartridges in magazine
    Square action & bolt face, lap lugs,
    Broughton Stainless steel barrel; 22 inch #4 magnum sporter contour , Twist: 12, Recessed target crown
    Stamp 358Nukalpiaq on barrel.
    NECG Masterpiece banded front ramp, Window hood for Masterpiece banded ramp, Fiber Optic Sight for Masterpiece banded ramp, Masterpiece fully adjustable rear sight.
    Talley barrel band sling stud
    Trigger pull adjusted to 3.0 lbs
    Barreled action” Arctic Koted” flat black, including Leupold QRW bases and rings.

Stock work by McMillan Fiberglass Stocks, Model: Winchester Supergrade, Marble pattern color selection for “Tundraflage” pattern: Medium Brown, Light Green and Black, LOP: 13 ¾”
    Murphy ordered the chamber reamer and headspace gauges from Dave Manson Precision Reamers, also reloading dies were from Redding Reloading Equipment. Custom brass with proper headstamp is in the planning, will be made by Quality Cartridges.

WOW. Thats a spendy build sheet That action alone is like $700. I like custom rifles, I'm just too cheap to have one built. My Ruger .338 is golden for many years to come.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Here is the reamer drawing for the 358 Nukalpiaq. Dave Manson has made sevral reamers for me. When I send the details to him I don't even have to do the math anymore he has a program to calculate the angles and such. But I still like to calculate my own dimensions.

I selected a 30 degree shoulder angle here from the parent case but moved it back to give more neck lenfth for better bullet grip. This reamer is now in Spearfish, South Dakota to chamber yet another 358 Nukalpiaq.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    It is similar to the 358 Norma, with no belt of course and slightly more capacity to the tune of about 50 to 100 fps across the bullet weights.
    That says all I need to know! The Norma is a heck of a round, and the "fine tuning" of the original concept in the Nukalpiaq is all worthwhile.

It's off in the distance a bit for me, but when the time comes I'm really likely to have it in a Ruger #1 with a 22" barrel. Short, fast, handy and potent. Gotta love it.

Wow. Very nice rifle you got there. Great build. I love those McMillan stocks. The best in the business.

Yep, McMillan sure does a good job on their stocks. I really like the color scheme on this stock.
    Showed the rifle to one of my friends today and now he is seriously thinking about having one built too. Sure glad I put in an order last week to Dave Manson for a duplicate chamber reamer and headspace gauges.

Maybe we can talk about that headspace gauge and reamer? I'm interested in that cartridge and am considering a very similiar build. I could like a .358 caliber 225-grain bullet at 3100+ fps....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

okay so you have had it a few days....

how does she roll?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast