Thread: Youngster's first Bou

Thumbs up Youngster's first Bou

What a great week. My 12 year old tipped over his first bou. How can life get any better than that. We did it without mechanical assistance as well. Hiked in, tipped it over, hauled it back out on our backs. Hard work, but well worth it and a GREAT life lesson for my boy. If this doesn't "set the hook" on him for becoming a life long hunter, nothing will . The biggest critter he has ever shot before this was a couple of spruce grouse last year. I think the smile tells the story here. Couple of notes though for our fellow hunters. Just because you camp at a trail head does NOT mean you "own" the trail. Stop giving me and my boys the "stink eye" when we hit the trail. You won't stop us from hitting the trail and you simply give me and my boys something to talk about "geeze dad, what was wrong with those guys, they looked mad and didn't even say hi when we asked how they were doing?" Be curtious and take a minute to engage in small talk. Means a lot to my little guys as they begin thier life of providing tablefare for the family. We are all out there for one reason, to put food on the table. Let's make this an enjoyable experience, maybe teach the next generation of hunters something and meet new folks with similiar interests and respect for the great outdoors. I love this state....keep your powder dry.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default thats great

Thats great to see the up comeing kids out there hunting. Iam takeing my daughter out this year to shoot her first moose, I hope everything works out.

Thats awesome. I'll have my boy out on next years moose/bear hunts. Doesnt get any better.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Good for you CM & son.......I have respect for those that get out and hunt on foot and leave some of that machinery behind.......

Congrats to the young man.

That looks like a 444, or a 45-70 he's shooting. Tough guy

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    Congrats to the young man.

That looks like a 444, or a 45-70 he's shooting. Tough guy

Thanks RS, he used a 30-30 that his grandpa handed down to him, made it even that much more special to use a gun handed down. He took him at just over 80 yards, I was ready for a follow-up if he needed it with my 338....but he took it without need of a follow-up shot. Little bugger is growing up

Most Excellent!

Nothing wrong with a good old fasioned pack out, I find myself doing such when The Caribou are far from the river.

"Stink eye" only comes from the incompetent, who have no idea how big this world is , how well they themself can hunt and how many animals are out there,....... which is plenty for all

Hope all your next years are as good with yer boy.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default Nice

Very cool, I find my self enjoying a whole new aspect of hunting and the outdoors in general as my boys are growing older and are able to join in on the fun. I really look foward to their first big game animals. Looks like your boy was having a good time!!!

Congratulations!

Mine are a little older but their smiles are just as big - pictures posted in the photo gallery.

Default Congrats !

Well done Centermass! Frame one of those pics for his wall - my son is 25 and still has his first deer pic at age 10 hung on his wall! When you can have your son as your best friend and outdoors partner ( daughters included ) it doesn't get any better than that!

Default Congrats!!!

Centermass and family, congratulations! I'm sure we all remember our first hunt, our first successful hunt, our first time in the woods with our familiar patriarch. It gets me a little choked up thinking back on those days. Much more kudos for using what God gave you to harvest a great looking critter. I think those days of sore muscles and blistered feet make those memories so much more. I found out that I am going to be a dad in 9 months and I can't wait to share an experience like this with my son or daughter. Again, CenterMass clan, CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Congratulations on the hunt and the well earned caribou. Was he still smiling as big at the end of the pack? I bet he was!