Thread: Taxidermy nightmare

Default Taxidermy nightmare

I brought a bear skull to a Homer taxidermist to have it cleaned up after a successful hunt in May 2008. After many phone calls and broken promises and excuses by the taxidermist, I have never recieved my record book size bear skull back. I did get my rug back from him last
    April. He is no longer returning my calls. I have contacted AK Game and
    Fish and filed a report with the game troopers however they refered my case to Homer PD who I also filed a report with. I am at my wits end with this situation. I paid for the work back in April when I was told it was ready, my check was cashed and it cleared my bank back in April. He had sent the skull up to Soldotna to have someone else put it in their beetle colony for cleaning. Not sure how long this should've taken, when I dropped it off 15 months ago I was told I would get it back in 3-4 months... which was just another lie. Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Start asking around who in Soldotna has a beetle colony. Ever stop by his shop or only phone calls?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I don't have any productive comments but a good laugh never hurts.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Default Kenny Jones.....

He probably sent it up to Kenny Jones in Soldotna. His business name is Skull and Bones and is located over off of Gaswell on Jones Rd. Sorry, but I'm at work and don't have his number. He's very good and conscientious about his work. Maybe you'll luck out and Kenny will have you're skull. Good luck to you.

standdup

Thanks standup, you are correct that is where the skull went and that is where it suppose to be sitting all this time. I have left messages on his voice mail but have never had my calls returned. I figured he does not want to get caught in the middle of this mess.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabowhunter View Post
    Thanks standup, you are correct that is where the skull went and that is where it suppose to be sitting all this time. I have left messages on his voice mail but have never had my calls returned. I figured he does not want to get caught in the middle of this mess.
    He might not want to be caught in the middle of it, but he is in the middle of it. Get ahold of him and at least find out what he knows....afterall, maybe he still has it.

kenny jones is a great guy. His number is 260-6592. Give him a call and just keep calling if you are unable to get in touch with him the first time.

Default follow up

a few minutes ago Kenny from Skull and Bones returned my call. He indicated that he has my bear skull and that it has been ready for quite a while. He is going to go ahead and ship it to me directly tomorrow he said. He didn't tell me what was going on other than that he had several other pieces ready for some time now for this taxidermist besides mine and he wasn't sure why the work is not being picked up. Thanks again for the pm's and the help.

Hmmmm I have has mixed results with Kenny's services. PM for info if interested.

Kenny is top notch and would give you the shirt off his back. I do know he had a little trouble with one of his colonies not too long ago, but I know he has plenty. Any taxidermist worth his salt will have a decently long waiting time. I also know his shop has had five DLP brown bears in the last week, so he is extremely busy. If he has it, you'll get it.

He indicated that he has my bear skull and that it has been ready for quite a while..
    See, I told you so..... Glad you found it! Now, post some pictures of the book bear (hide and skull)

the skull green scored 18 5/8" which would've made P&Y but he ended up not being an archery harvest.... I was glad I had a sidearm that night.

I was glad I had a sidearm that night.
    Sounds like you might have a story for us....