Thread: Moose on 20 mile river

Smile Moose on 20 mile river

Anyone seeing any moose on the 20 mile river while out fishing. Wife has a permit and we are going in on 20 August. Thanks.

Haven't seen any this year but last year my neighbor found a whole bunch of them up Peterson creek and got his bull in there (I'm pretty sure that was the creek). That hunt is much wider than just 20 mile, so if you don't see any, poke around some of the other drainages. It sucked getting the moose out of there because the water was so shallow - dragging a very short zodiak through the creek with a moose quarter was no picnic. I've fished up 20 mile a number of times and have yet to see a moose on that particular river.

Good luck.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Default One weekend left

To recon them!!

Default Moose

Thanks JMG, getting a knee replace this winter, so don't expect I will be doing much dragging. Going to fly the area a couple days before the season. Had guys up the Placer in the past and both got moose, so that will be next.

Default Placer

Had the same permit and found a bull on the Placer. Put in at the Placer, run out into the inlet and run back up the Placer overflow. In the past the overflow was easier and deeper than running the main river, if that makes sense.
    Also, pay attention to the tide or you'll be stuck high and dry till the next high tide rolls in, from experience.
    Never did locate any on the 20 mile either, alot of bears and wolves at the time though.
    Good luck.
    BK

Talking

If your up for a hike the moose walk off the low ridge in the middle of the river fork. Morning and night they use the tree line in the middle as cover. Thats a great hunt! PM if you need more info.

Good hunting

Default 20 Mile

My wife had a permit there a number of years ago and got a nice 60" bull. We went upriver and stayed to the left all the way up. Found a cabin up there all boarded up- we put our tent up on the porch for additional shelter. There was even a meat rack next to the cabin, which came in real handy. After we got our moose out, we left a note on the cabin and thanked the guy for the use of his porch- he called a couple of week later, and we gave him a bunch of meat- nice guy. We stayed on the slopes on the north side of the river and glassed the lowlands for animals before finding our bull. Good luck!