Thread: Moose Road system hunt

Default Moose Road system hunt

Looking for some ideas of where to hunt moose off the road system close to anchorage (2 hours drive max). Any suggestions? Not looking for secret holes, just general areas.

HAHA Good one. Now your gunna pay for asking that question on here. Way to go on getting THEM all spun up.

I'm transmitting GPS coordinates right now to the 60 inch bull of a lifetime 45 minutes from downtown Anchorage. Oh no the battery is dead in my GPS. Actually there are quite a few places to go just quite a few people go to the better places. Willow, Palmer hay flats, Jim Creek, Puritan creek, Unit 7, and Point Mac are places to start.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

The airport has produced some nice bulls, also stomp the woods at te end of Muldoon/Tudor.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

keep track of those headed out... and hunt in their back yards.... seems to work for my wife... every time i leave moose show up....

that Valley is a huge plase with lots of opportunity to you.. all you have to do is read the reg book and make it part of your daily routine to understand it and where you are at all times...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default not really

a whole lot of options:
    1. Seward Hwy
    2. Parks Hwy
    3. Glenn Hwy
    All have moose in huntable numbers - have fun.
    post a pic when you get one (preferrably with a hwy # sign & milemarker in the background.
    Gary

Talking +1 for the...

Palmer Hay flats...

5-6am in the morning, you can see MILLIONS of moose feeding off the willows off the right of the freeway when you're heading towards the valley, right when you get off the bridge...most are cows, so do some cow calling & see if you can get a bullwinkle to come to the sweet whisperings of cow looking for AMORE!
    Last edited by gogoalie; 08-14-2009 at 04:56. Reason: spellin'

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    Palmer Hay flats...

5-6am in the morning, you can see MILLIONS of moose feeding off the willows off the right of the freeway when you're heading towards the valley, right when you get off the bridge...most are cows, so do some cow calling & see if you can get a bullwinkle to come to the sweet whisperings of cow looking for AMORE!
    Make that 999,999 moose feeding on the willows at 5-6am. There is now a chalk outline of a youngin about 1 mile before the Palmer exit
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Make that 999,999 moose feeding on the willows at 5-6am. There is now a chalk outline of a youngin about 1 mile before the Palmer exit

You beat me to it... That van got up the road pretty good, drove by it and was like what happened here, all the doors open and its still raining. Ahh a lil one sleeping on the side of the road.
    www.onestopoutfitting.com
    Some worry, others prepare
    Items for your outdoor needs, specializing in emergency prep.

1/4 mile law on that area, I am not sure if it is just for recreational shooting but it says no discharging of a firearm. I would hate to see someone eat a fine on that one.

Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    1/4 mile law on that area, I am not sure if it is just for recreational shooting but it says no discharging of a firearm. I would hate to see someone eat a fine on that one.
    Reference please. Is that because of it being a refuge? Not sure what area you are specifically writing about.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I think he means that in the hay flats you have to be 1/4 mile off the road to discharge a firearm. I know that is what I read before I went rabbit hunting out there.

I hate to be mr negative, but you need to get and do some scouting. Everyone wants someone else to do all the hard work for them. I get people all the time that say take me out, I don't know where to go. There is no way on earth that I would give any spots to someone that is not willing to get out and do some work for themselfs. If you have a family make it a family event. Get off the computer and get in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    I hate to be mr negative, but you need to get and do some scouting. Everyone wants someone else to do all the hard work for them. I get people all the time that say take me out, I don't know where to go. There is no way on earth that I would give any spots to someone that is not willing to get out and do some work for themselfs. If you have a family make it a family event. Get off the computer and get in the woods.
    ++++++ 10 if i could