Thread: 2009 Sheep Hunt

Default 2009 Sheep Hunt

Just got back from hunting sheep in the Brooks. Only saw two rams, neither were legal, beyond the 5 miles. On the hike out we saw a group of 5, 2 were maybe legal, but wasn't worth the stalk as they were so far inside of the 5 miles it wasn't funny. Talk to 2 other parties of 2 hunters, saw evidence of 2 single hunters. Heard that some church group of about ten had come tromping through a couple days before opener. Great backcountry hike, not much for hunting. Oh well, that's the way it goes I guess.

Hiking in from the road in my limited experience has required much more than 5 miles of hiking. I hiked into the Brooks Range last year and probably did about 70 miles in a week. Our base camp was about 8 miles from the road.

Are you going to give it another try this season?

how about a weather report? I'm looking at leaving tonight.

Weather was ok. Snowed on us the first couple of days, but then cleared up. Last couple days most of the snow down low was melted, but still had some up high.

We couldn't really hike in much further than 5 miles based on the area we chose to hunt. We were hunting the back side of James Dalton, so we had the 5 mile thing to worry about as well as getting in the Gates of the Acrtic National Reserve. We didn't really have a lot of time either, so we weren't able to pack out and go try another area east of the road. Wish, I could give it another shot this year, but I have other commitments. Hopefully next year

Not sure where you were at, but hunting is allowed in Gates of the Arctic National "Preserve", just not Gates of the Arctic National "Park".

There isn't any "preserve" along the Dalton, it's all park. There is squares of private property in the park that is legal to hunt with permission.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Just about everything north of Atigun is Preserve.

http://www.nps.gov/PWR/customcf/apps...and%20Preserve

We were very much limited by the 5 mile boundary and the "Gates of the Arctic National Preserve" where we were at (backside of James Dalton MTN).