Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas Cans

Default Gas Cans

Thought I would share....

Picked up a couple of the 2 gallon cans from Rotopax. They're flat, and can interlock together for easy mounting to your racks. Haven't had a chance to test them out in the real world yet, but they fit both my quads pretty well.

http://www.rotopax.com/gasoline-gaso...p-1-pr-62.html

Those are nice but $110 for a 2 gallon can? Then you add in shipping.......

Default Sportsman's Warehouse

I seen similar for sale at SW for 80.00. They come with a butterfly mount and water cans as well.

You can pick up the Kolpin Fuel pack...holds the same amount of fuel for about 30 bucks less...just a thought

Member Polarisblake stuck two of these his custom rack for his 6x6...turned out pretty nice! If you ask nicely, maybe he'll post a pic...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

you can go to AIH and get the square bottomed 5 gallon jug that fits neatly in a milk crate for 7 bucks.. a milk crate can be strapped on. bolted to the frame of the rack or the tongue of the trailer... when empty the jugs can be bungeed on any left over space and allowed t flop if need be.

thus leaving 103.00 for more gas that mean more trips...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

The cost on the custom gas cans is prohibitive, but standard gas cans can be a pain strapping down. The thin plastic compresses and can actually rupture a seam, and of course straps come loose sometimes. We've had our share of mishaps with our gas cans. My old man likes to build with wood, so he built this rear box for my rig and sized it so that it can hold a 5 gallon standard can in the center and 2-1/2 gallon cans on either side. The rigid construction and tight tolerances means the cans stay put and don't bounce around. It works for us, but I can see where the bulk might be a turn off for some people. It's just held on with U-bolts to the rear rack so I don't have to have it on every ride but so far it hasn't been a hindrance and I haven't noticed a problem with the handling of the ATV by adding the weight to the rear rack.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Its $110 for two 2-gallon cans. A buddy of mine tried several other brands before recommending these. He said the biggest advantage over other brands was the filler cap had several more threads for a tighter seal. Shipping was only $6 as i ordered mine along with a few others to split the cost.

Default Milk crate

Very Nice can holder Dee Vince I also like the milk crate, it has so many places to bungee or tie or strap to so even things that are out side it can easily be secured and if a gas can is not needed it does a fine job of holding a dog.
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

Default speaking of fuel jugs

is there any way to still get the old style spout that is not self venting? I know I am just impatient but the new ones are so frustrating.
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

Quote Originally Posted by Lowe & Slow View Post
    Very Nice can holder Dee Vince I also like the milk crate, it has so many places to bungee or tie or strap to so even things that are out side it can easily be secured and if a gas can is not needed it does a fine job of holding a dog.
    One of the coolest ideas I've seen for hauling a dog was a fella out in Talkeetna has one of those heavy plastic laundry baskets bolted to his back rack. He cut the section facing the seat about 1' down and 1' across to give a lower entry point for the dog, and then put a big blanket in the tub for padding. The dog rides comfy, that way. I thought that was a pretty cool idea.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Lowe & Slow View Post
    I have also found that by having the jug in a milk crate the issues of strapping them down is GONE... also no more holes/wear spots, in the jugs.. but only ONE style fits in them.. and they have the squarer bottom with th HOOP handle on them... and AIH is the only place i have found them up here... they do have the WORST spouts though... take forever to fill..

this year we are looking at the fuel caddy that sams club sells ... 15 gallons.. it is 100 bucks but steel and will sit in the trailer or rear of a side by side ... i like the idea of steel harder for that flaming bear to chew on....... i have found that if it can be broke, worn thin, or smooshed.... i will do it on a trip to the claim. so far the crates have worked best....and less gas in my clothes when i get there.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    You can pick up the Kolpin Fuel pack...holds the same amount of fuel for about 30 bucks less...just a thought

Member Polarisblake stuck two of these his custom rack for his 6x6...turned out pretty nice! If you ask nicely, maybe he'll post a pic...
    I bought one of Kolpin's last year and it lasted through the first ride and then starting leaking. They stretch the plastic so thin you can see through it in places. Absolute POS in my opinion. Been eye'n the Rotopax myself with some mounts to keep the jugs off my rackspace. Their rotational molding makes the walls thicker so they should hold up reasonably and, when mounted with the brackets, wouldn't be rubbing holes in them. Rotopax also make loads of other compatible packs for tools, first-aid, water, etc.

Please post up later Martin14 with a thumbs up or thumbs down. I might hit up Santa for some of them this year. Beats getting another ugly sweater!

Wal-Mart special and bungie cord! Rarely, I need to pack extra fuel with me...Unless, I'm puting 60+ miles round trip. I figure if I'm going to go that far, I better bring the trailer for camp and goodies.(Beer)
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Thumbs up dog toter..

I to put the "bigger" size milk crate on the front rack and tote my 6 month lab...he's still learn'in
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Quote Originally Posted by atvalaska View Post
    I to put the "bigger" size milk crate on the front rack and tote my 6 month lab...he's still learn'in
    I had a small weinerdog a few years ago that use to ride in a crate up front on the rack.....And wouldn't you know it, that little Bass-turd jumped out and I ran him over! Luckly, he didn't get one of the tires and was small enough that the wheeler cleared him. I think he saw God that day cause he never did that again!
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Exclamation not to send the thread down a differnt road but...

!! mine did that 2! was barking at the wife on the 4 wheeler in front...i made a seat belt for him now...could u been bad...

Bought the Koplin 4.5 gallon at SW...started leaking on the second time out...seems to be a common issue. Dumped the soft bag I had on the back rack and installed a Koplin Water Proof box (more water resistant than water proof). It hold 2 x 2+gallon cans with plenty of room left in the middle of the box for all my stuff. Way better than fuel leaking the whole trip!!! I have seen the video on the rotax cans...much tougher than the koplins...you can run over the rotax cans with a truck and still use them...no leaks. May be worth the extra $$.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Trail Tanks makes a quality 2.5 gallon rotational molded can.
    http://www.trailtank.net/miscellaneo...ility-jug.html

is there any way to still get the old style spout that is not self venting? I know I am just impatient but the new ones are so frustrating
    Nope. You can thank California for that. I have a dozen 6 gallon vented gas cans and I wouldn't sell them for less than $100 each. You can't even buy old style spouts anymore.

If you find one at a garage sale, snatch it up.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Thumbs up

i have about 20 of the old rubbermade cans 1.5 gal thur 5...use to the little blk caps were..always missing...so i called rubbermaid and ordered up 25 of'em man them were the "good old days" (WTH) ...10 years ago

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast