Thread: fishing on labor day weekend

Default fishing on labor day weekend

Coming up in september to see my son back from iraq,

what would be the outlook for fish in either valdez, anchorage, and seward for labor day weekend?

too early, too late, or should be hotter than a firecracker?

Quote Originally Posted by dayooper View Post

what would be the outlook for fish in either valdez, anchorage, and seward for labor day weekend?

There is no fishing in Anchorage proper to speak of. Just where most poeple live and the airport. Both Seward and Valdez should be red hot for Silvers that weekend!!! Should get into halibut as well. That will make for a great welcome back for your son. Enjoy you time with your son, and all the fish you will catch...

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    There is no fishing in Anchorage proper to speak of. Just where most poeple live and the airport. Both Seward and Valdez should be red hot for Silvers that weekend!!! Should get into halibut as well. That will make for a great welcome back for your son. Enjoy you time with your son, and all the fish you will catch...
    I was thinking maybe ships creek, but that might be early for them there?

I was thinking maybe ships creek, but that might be early for them there?
    Nope, it won't be early. Silvers are already running in Ship Creek, and there should still be some there when you get home. Shore fishing for silvers in Seward should be pretty solid by then, and just heating up in Whittier as well.

Default Seward Beaches

I love fishing the Seward Beaches on Labor Day Weekend. Use to be a ritual going down for my birthday every year and I can't recall a year I haven't caught fish from the beach there.

There should still be some silvers available in Valdez.

The Kenai River should be really good and the limit goes to three the 1st of September from Skilak to the mouth.

For close convenience, I'd say Whittier. Usually the first couple of weeks of Sept. are really good for silvers down there, and Labor Day is a bit later then normal this year(which is good for the fishing). Seward should be good. Valdez could have the best fishing as long as it's on or before Labor Day. After Labor Day, they open it up to commercial boats and fishing rapidly drops off for sportfishing.

Anyway...just repeating what others have suggested. There are a number of solid silver fishing possibilities. Just kind of have to choose what you want to do.

Good luck!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

should be nice and quite with lots of fish.... were all gone HUNTING THAT WEEKEND!!!!!!
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    should be nice and quite with lots of fish.... were all gone HUNTING THAT WEEKEND!!!!!!
    That would be another possibility!

Thanks so much to all for thier input! It sounds like just about anywhere we go, it will be good!

We,ve done May, June, and August before, Caught kings in May and June, Silvers, Pinks and Chums in august, Now some prime time silvers or hunting this year.
    I hunt in the lower 48, and fish for steelies, Kings, and coho on the great lakes, but the HUGE silvers and kings up there are so much more fun!

the big plus is spending time with my son and the grandkids!

Cant wait!