Thread: powder dump variance?

Default powder dump variance?

anyone else in here experienced erratic weights from 296? i ask because i can drop charges of h-110 and aa-9 within 1/10 of a grain consistently, but 296 is all over the place. im talkin up to 3/10 + or - per charge. is it because of density or the shape of the grains? im confused.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final. You need to learn to be slow in a hurry! Wyatt Earp.

That doesn't make sense to me...H110 and Win 296 are virtually identical in appearance and volumetric weight. It's been said in the past (I can't confirm with WW or Hodgdon though) that both are made at the same place at the same time and just get put into different containers depending on whose name is on the box.

Is the 296 an older can that's been open for awhile and maybe absorbed enough moisture that it's irregular in weight by volume? I've had that happen to me with flake powders before (Green Dot), but never with a ball or stick powder. If your measure meters H110 and AA9 well, it shouldn't have any problem with W296...

Quote Originally Posted by raoul duke View Post
    anyone else in here experienced erratic weights from 296? i ask because i can drop charges of h-110 and aa-9 within 1/10 of a grain consistently, but 296 is all over the place. im talkin up to 3/10 + or - per charge. is it because of density or the shape of the grains? im confused.
    I agree with Diesel. That makes me wonder if something else isn't going on? Have you recently changed the location or mount of your measure? In my experience, if it's not solidly mounted on a solid surface, variation increases a lot.

Default powder measure

i just recently got the 296, and it was my first can and it was new. the dump has been set for a couple years(screwed fast to the edge of my bench). i dumped and weighed probably 25 loads of each to come up with the numbers i posted. today i ordered one of those micrometer measure screws maybe it will give better results, or at least some comparison weights.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is final. You need to learn to be slow in a hurry! Wyatt Earp.