Thread: Montana creek float

Default Montana creek float

What are the water conditions like from the upper bridge by like yoder to the highway? Could you do I in a cheap walmart type raft with a soft bottom? Also how long does the trip take? Thanks for the input!!

I wouldn't use a cheap wal mart raft for floating anything in Alaska
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Lightbulb Montana Creek From Yoder Bridge...

This is a nice little float in a reasonable quality smaller raft, kayak, or canoe...

Yes - it could be navigated using a super-duper-cheapo ---- yet why potentially ruin a good day or overnight venture, with the drive up and back, shuttling vehicles or thumbin' it by making a bad decision in the first place?

You could always rent a smaller, high-quality, & suitable inflatable (or even a few one-person cats) conveniently from us at ALASKA RAFT CONNECTION. You would also rent floating the creek in style for the same general ballpark dollars that you'd spend on that less than perfect 'cents' purchase to mention the additional dissatisfaction return trip to the box store.

The real issue you'll face on Montana Creek is not that it's not all that very remote or demanding ---- but it has turns, shallows, and trees (some big ones clear across that require portage around - many small ones beaver gnawed & sharp)!!!!

I've heard from someone that floated it a month back, it's snagged up in quite a few places and requires quite a bit of portaging.

I heard the same as upstream did. ALOT of dragging goin on.

Thumbs up

upstream & bookram are correct... it has larger trees across and will require you to get up on the creek banks and carry around them. There are a few of them, but not turning into any real significant or hazard-type log-lams. The portages around will have numerous beaver chewed alders and saplings sticking up in the grasses - so good idea to be careful w/ lesser quality inflatables and watchful of your footing.

Your put in is just above the Yoder Rd. bridge... Take out is at Sunshine (river right, high gravel cut-bank w/ gravel road creek-side access.

A couple pics of Montana Creek as of last June 20th:

http://img19.imageshack.us/i/img0023r.jpg/

http://img21.imageshack.us/i/img0024pjg.jpg/

It shows the fallen trees and beaver-dam brush build-up, right at the campground west of Parks Hwy. (Perhaps not
    the location you have in question, but it gives one a visual of what others are talking about.)

Default Thanks

Hey guys thanks for all the input I def. needed it. How long does the drift normally take? Thanks again for the input!

dude this river is very easy to walk. no need to float anywhere to catch fish.

Thumbs up

A much shorter float and one without obstacles on Montana Creek can be had, if you put in at the end of Michele Drive, off the Talkeetna Spur Road. Just a mile or so from the Parks Hwy.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default NOAA Flowcharts

Quote Originally Posted by bowdy15 View Post
    Hey guys thanks for all the input I def. needed it. How long does the drift normally take? Thanks again for the input!

http://aprfc.arh.noaa.gov/ahps2/index.php?wfo=pafc
    This link is for water levels of a lot of rivers in SCAK, you can use it to see what kind of shape the river is in and predict what it will do in the near future along with weather forcasts.
    As far as how long the drift takes depends on how much stopping to fish you do, I've never floated from Yoder down so I couldn't tell you about that. I've put in at Michele Rd a couple times and if you float straight thru it's like a 3-4 hr trip if I remember right.

I fished montana creek all day yesterday with my 2 teenage kids, we had a blast catching pinks and chum, but didn't see anyone pulling out silvers. we concentrated our efforts around the railroad bridge. There was a bear there early in the AM, so keep an eye out.

As for water levels, you would probably have to portage quite a few times if you float the river. Walking up stream i saw a lot of logs to navigate.