Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: advice on the savage accustock

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    henderson, LA/Seattle, WA
    Posts
    27

    Default advice on the savage accustock

    I have a new savage 30-06 and love the way it shoots but hate the way it feels/looks. And actually I think the bolt and trigger are great, it is just the stock. I realize that savage spent a lot of time and money coming up with the 3 dimensional bedding system but I just wish they would have put it in another type of stock other than plastic. It drives me nuts, and I am to the point of switching it out for something else but not at the risk of losing the sub moa that the gun shoots now.
    So, I guess my long winded question is this: Would switching to another stock of high quality (thinking h-s precision or macmillian if they make one to fit the gun) ruin the accuracy?
    thanks.

  2. #2
    Member marshall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Near Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,814

    Default

    Either of the two stocks that you mentioned are going to be equal too or better in accuracy if fitted properly. As far as quality and feel the two stocks mentioned will be better than the OEM stock that you are disappointing with.

    If your concerned McMillan will make the stock to your specs and bed your barreled action so there is no way to screw it up. They have a slow turn around but quality is excellent.

    http://www.mcmfamily.com/mcmillan-st...ubnav=branch2g

    I didn't see any long action Savage stocks on the HS Precision site, perhaps a call will provide better information.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    henderson, LA/Seattle, WA
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Thanks Marshall,

    I wouldn't trust myself to do any of this work. I would take this to a gunsmith (or send it to Macmillian.... I didn't know they would bed it for me). Most of my guns are the same as the day I purchased them. Although i would like to start tinkering with some of them, I think I will learn on my 10/22. I love the way the savage shoots and would hate to ruin it.

  4. #4

    Default

    Is it just the look or the feel of the plastic that is bothering you?

    I have just painted a couple of injection molded stocks recently one on a Ruger and one on a Wetherby Mark V synthetic. They were both fun projects and you add that personal touch.

  5. #5
    Member 1Cor15:19's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dillingham, AK
    Posts
    2,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GOMdiver View Post
    I have a new savage 30-06 and love the way it shoots but hate the way it feels/looks. And actually I think the bolt and trigger are great, it is just the stock. I realize that savage spent a lot of time and money coming up with the 3 dimensional bedding system but I just wish they would have put it in another type of stock other than plastic. It drives me nuts, and I am to the point of switching it out for something else but not at the risk of losing the sub moa that the gun shoots now.
    So, I guess my long winded question is this: Would switching to another stock of high quality (thinking h-s precision or macmillian if they make one to fit the gun) ruin the accuracy?
    thanks.
    If you choose a fully bedded, sporter style, synthetic stock you can expect to have between 500-700$ invested by the time you are through, but your rifle will perform as well or better than it does now.

    There are several stock manufacturers that will supply a stock for your Savage. The need to bed the rifle is entirely up to you and the level of performance you need. I've 3 McMillan stocks right now and only one is bedded. The other two work as well as I could hope and are fine for hunting. That will save you a bit of money on the front end if you choose a McMillan and you can always have a competent gunsmith bed the action for you later if you are not completely satisfied.

    Other manufacturers that I have experience with and can recommend are:

    http://www.lonewolfriflestocks.com/index.html

    http://www.hightech-specialties.com/index.html

    http://www.mpistocks.com/

    Check out their websites and if you need some more information give them a call.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    henderson, LA/Seattle, WA
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theONE73 View Post
    Is it just the look or the feel of the plastic that is bothering you?

    I have just painted a couple of injection molded stocks recently one on a Ruger and one on a Wetherby Mark V synthetic. They were both fun projects and you add that personal touch.


    theONE73,
    Yes, basically. I just think that savage rifles don't get a whole lot of respect because they don't look and feel like a Weatherby. After someone shoots one their minds seem to change though! But yes it is the cheap plastic look and feel that bothers me on what I consider to be an amazing gun. All the cosmetic problems I have with the rifle aside, I wouldn't want to change my groupings because of the way the thing looks. That is what I am most concerned with, are these "accustocks" actually really helping with the overall accuracy of the gun?

    Gomdiver

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    henderson, LA/Seattle, WA
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    If you choose a fully bedded, sporter style, synthetic stock you can expect to have between 500-700$ invested by the time you are through, but your rifle will perform as well or better than it does now.

    There are several stock manufacturers that will supply a stock for your Savage. The need to bed the rifle is entirely up to you and the level of performance you need. I've 3 McMillan stocks right now and only one is bedded. The other two work as well as I could hope and are fine for hunting. That will save you a bit of money on the front end if you choose a McMillan and you can always have a competent gunsmith bed the action for you later if you are not completely satisfied.

    Other manufacturers that I have experience with and can recommend are:

    http://www.lonewolfriflestocks.com/index.html

    http://www.hightech-specialties.com/index.html

    http://www.mpistocks.com/

    Check out their websites and if you need some more information give them a call.
    1Cor15:19
    Thanks for the links to check out...heading there now! And i was really happy to hear that you didn't think I would decrease the accuracy of the rifle with another stock. As you could probably tell I am pretty timid about digging into the bedding!

  8. #8

    Default

    I have no problem with the Savage rifles...

    They are deadly accurate.

    from what I have read the accustock is specifically designed to help an already accurate rifle. The was a bit about them in the Sept. 08 G&A it has been a while since I read the specifics though.

    The paint was real easy...

    I did Rustoleum Camo on the Ruger...Cleaned really good with dish soap and let set out in the sun for a day drying...then a primer coat, tan as my base coat and then the remaining 2 colors in camo stripes topped off with 3 coats of matte clear. I was originally shooting for the Weatherby Sage Country pattern but the stripes were too broad and it turned into more of a camo pattern LOL!!!

    The Weatherby I used Krylon Fusion in camo tan...no primer necessary I am waiting on some webbing spray to finish it off, but I think it will look pretty good when I am done.

    Best of luck to you whatever you decide, but those Savages are such shooters why spend 100's more to not gain much if anything? The paint is cheap, fun, and if you don't like it you aren't out a bunch.

    Forgot to mention I sanded the mold line off of both stocks before I started.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    henderson, LA/Seattle, WA
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theONE73 View Post
    I have no problem with the Savage rifles...

    They are deadly accurate.

    from what I have read the accustock is specifically designed to help an already accurate rifle. The was a bit about them in the Sept. 08 G&A it has been a while since I read the specifics though.

    The paint was real easy...

    I did Rustoleum Camo on the Ruger...Cleaned really good with dish soap and let set out in the sun for a day drying...then a primer coat, tan as my base coat and then the remaining 2 colors in camo stripes topped off with 3 coats of matte clear. I was originally shooting for the Weatherby Sage Country pattern but the stripes were too broad and it turned into more of a camo pattern LOL!!!

    The Weatherby I used Krylon Fusion in camo tan...no primer necessary I am waiting on some webbing spray to finish it off, but I think it will look pretty good when I am done.

    Best of luck to you whatever you decide, but those Savages are such shooters why spend 100's more to not gain much if anything? The paint is cheap, fun, and if you don't like it you aren't out a bunch.

    Forgot to mention I sanded the mold line off of both stocks before I started.
    Quite honestly it would be nice to have a personal touch to the thing. Only my AR's have recieved that kind of treatment and that is only because I am not worried about messing them up. I would love to see some pictures, I don't know what webbing spray is (envisioning silly string) but sounds like it could turn out really well with the texture.
    I bought the rifle with the intention of switching the stock out...just don't like the feeling of plastic for some reason. I am interested in your project though, especially if it is something I wouldn't have to repeat on a semi-regular basis.

  10. #10
    Moderator hunt_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wasilla--Cantwell Transplant
    Posts
    4,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GOMdiver View Post
    ...I don't know what webbing spray is (envisioning silly string) but sounds like it could turn out really well with the texture....
    You can see some examples here...may help you out...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •