Thread: Why are the Sage XI2 Fly rods discounted

Default Why are the Sage XI2 Fly rods discounted

I have seen Cabelas discounting the Sage Xi2 by $200 and some internet sites discounting them by 25%. I was under the impression that they are very good rods. The only thing I can think is that they are phasing them out and its time to purchase that $700 rod for $500.

No doubt a new model coming soon. Guess it is time for the Xi3. These are amazing rods. I had one custom made in 10 wt with an extra tip for kings in Alaska and false albacore in NC. Great rod, no question about it.

Found them $100 cheaper than Cabelas at the below site. A flyfishing shop in Orlando and I have bought rods from them before. Good folks. Their site shows a 6 wt and 10 wt in stock for $400 but not sure if they are still around! Good deal...

They also have a Sage Launch 6 wt for $135.

http://www.flyfishermaninc.com/sales.html

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Are Xi2's a good salmon rod?

Are Xi'2s a good rod for Alaska silver's/steelhead. I have heard quite a bit about the 8 wt Z-Axis as a preferred stick, but nothing about saltwater specific rods such as the Xi2. I know the Xi2 is a little faster, with more lifting power in the butt, seems like it would fit the bill. Anyone have any experience with these rods for AK fishing?

The Xi2 series rods are indeed going to be discontinued. Sage does this about every 5 years depending on when they bring out a new series of rod. There are several websites discounting these rods by $300 or more. I just bought a 9'6" 7wt for Kenai rainbow and steelhead. These rods are awesome and a great deal at around $400. I use the older RPLXi 10wt for Kings and crowded rivers and it's been a great rod, very strong.

I've fished a 10WT Xi2 for a few years now and love it. It is quite sensitive, yet has a strong back bone to hook set. I upgraded to this from a G series Lami 9WT which I have caught hundreds of kings on. The Xi2 is lighter and more comfortable and does a better job for turning a big fish. Still wierd to me fishing a bright blue flyrod, although I fish a VT2 for steelhead too, so i'm getting used to the blue.

Sweet, now is the time to pick up that 12 wt I have been wanting, and perhaps an 8!

Quote Originally Posted by txnfish View Post
    Are Xi'2s a good rod for Alaska silver's/steelhead. I have heard quite a bit about the 8 wt Z-Axis as a preferred stick, but nothing about saltwater specific rods such as the Xi2. I know the Xi2 is a little faster, with more lifting power in the butt, seems like it would fit the bill. Anyone have any experience with these rods for AK fishing?
    I've sold all my Sage rods except for an old RPL+ that's a great 2 piece. The Z-Axis are very good, but having a softer tip and undersized guides, I think they are better suited for 5 or 6 weights. I'm sure some will disagree! I fish a Loomis CC GLX in a 8 weight for silvers and a 9 for chum and kings under 20 pounds. The 9 also does double duty as a warm water rod for reds and permit. If I already had a dedicated trout rod (6/7), I would jump at a Xi2 8 weight for just about everything else as they are closer to 9 weights.

I was looking at getting one of these from the Fairbanks flyshop (RIP). Before I bought it they let me give 'er a whirl. It could cast a mile but you're working hard the whole time. They recommended I at least try a Z-Axis first. It was a little softer but a lot easier to cast. Xi2 felt like a broom stick to me at least. Seems like a specialty rod for looong casting. Which for me is not completely necessary. But I'm not a gear-junkie per se, so just my $.02.

I guess thats more of a comparison between the Xi2 and Z-Axis than an answer to your question but maybe the info is still useful for you.

Default RPL+

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    I've sold all my Sage rods except for an old RPL+ that's a great 2 piece. The Z-Axis are very good, but having a softer tip and undersized guides, I think they are better suited for 5 or 6 weights. I'm sure some will disagree! I fish a Loomis CC GLX in a 8 weight for silvers and a 9 for chum and kings under 20 pounds. The 9 also does double duty as a warm water rod for reds and permit. If I already had a dedicated trout rod (6/7), I would jump at a Xi2 8 weight for just about everything else as they are closer to 9 weights.
    I bought a 6 wt RPL+ when they were dscontinuing them in 2001 and fell in love. I have since bought a used 4 wt off ebay. I personally believe the RPL+ is one of the best actions Sage (or any other manufacturer for that matter) has ever manufactured for trout. I also have an 8 wt. RPLXi which I believe was the predecessor to the Xi2 and I love it for all salmon species and throwing big streamers for big trout. I have also caught small tarpon, bonefish, and large snook with this rod and I have no complaints. It is a very stiff action that is indeed designed for longer casts, but with a good double haul and some practice, I can cast this rod all day with no pain or fatigue. Even for the "Kenai flip" it causes less strain on my fisherman's elbow than some of my slower action rods.

I have not cast the Z-axis yet, as from what I've heard, I will then need to purchase another rod That is my one and only complaint about Sage rods; Once you buy one, you never need to replace it! I've sent nearly all of my rods in for repair at one time or another and I have been amazed every time at the speed in which I get the rod back and how easy the process is. A Sage rod is a lifetime investment. I'm hooked on them.

being replaced by the xi3 and its sweet
    Jake Zirkle
    Alaska Fly Water Guides
    www.alaskaflywater.com

Cabelas pays about 60% of their retail so if they are discounting 25% they are still making a good profit
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I had the opportunity to cast the new Xi3 yesterday and it is a great new rod. Faster action than the Xi2 with more butt end power. It also has a new blue, more saltwater appearance for sure.

Shops are going to blow out the Xi2, it is just to costly to sit on them. Even if they get 60% off and discount them for 25% you have to factor in how long the rod has been on the shelf, freight and all into that cost as well, so the dealers are not going to make a great profit at all on these rods like stated prior. Just need to move them because more people than not are going to want the new and approved product.